Derby County Versus Cardiff City…In a Nutshell.

Ellafella

1.       As the late,great “Scunny Man” Alan Latchley once said “Football!, she’s a cruel mistress, she’s she’s more than a mistress. She is a wife, she’s your mother, she’s a daughter, {louder voice} she is an errant child!...she can make you laugh, she can make you cry!”. Tonight, I laughed and cried all at the same time. Oh Joy!...Where have you been?!

2.       As I drained my pint in the Fans’ Park, it was persisting it down! Just 3 days ago, it was shirt sleeves & sunshine…versus ‘Boro {all details of which have been torn from the memory book and the bits scattered!}. Derby’s form is just like the weather…from “hot” to “shyte” and back again in 72 easy hours.

3.       I was expecting an empty stadium…but WoW! 30,000 and on the telly too! A very healthy gathering of the Welsh…

4.       Great atmosphere too…Lots of South Stand jibes about snow of course…how we laughed and taunted…I’m dreamin’ of a whhhittte Christ-mas…as kick-off nears it starts to crackle and fizz…the South Stand drummer is smackin’ the pig’s skin extra hard…”Since I was Young…” sung with Brighton Gusto…I’m starting to enjoy…

5.       I hadn’t even tried to understand the formation…Olsson again and Forsyth almost holding hands…in a 3-5-2 or is it 3-4-1-1…and to think I laughed at the Victorians and their ever so quaint 3-6-1 formations…No Vydra, No Palmer and Cam Jam back…My expectations have hit the basement good ‘n proper… “I predict a “nought-two” result in my head in my best Brian Clough nasal tones “It will be nought-two to Cardiff with that Derby siiiide youuuung maan”.

6.       Good Lord…is that really Jamie Ward in the Cardiff blue? He’s being roundly booed by the South Stand…

7.       Great start by the Rams…a proliferation of corners…#3….now 4th…as the ball pings and wallops! about the pitch.

8.       It’s end to end….then a great steal by Wisdom and Weimann gallops away…down the wing…cuts back to Lawrence who jives and jitters past a defender and oh!!!should have scored but great block by the ‘keeper…

9.       Then wallop! A hoof-ed,  curling, left-footer high into the Derby box arcs over Forsyth to be met by a mercurial thump from 15 yards on the back stick which gives Carson no chance. It’s as beautiful a strike as you will see…0-1 to Cardiff…”old Land of my fathers” followed by “it’s happening again… echoes through the drizzlin’ gloom.

10.   I’m glum…

11.   2nd half …the atmosphere cranks up…we are in the ante-vestibule of the last chance saloon…we can almost scent the wiff of the sour grapes of defeat… Ay! Ay! It’s Vydra on 60…Gary is running 5 minutes ahead of schedule…what is occurring here?

12.   Suddenly it’s Jerome at 45 degrees with Morrisson virtually travelling on his back in the box …CamJam slides it home slowly and surely …mayhem…and delirium…Pride Park explodes…confusion …all around…Kevin Keegan is in my ear…”there’s only one team can win it now!”. “Shut the foxtrot up Keegan” my inner-Clough demands.

13.   Wisom…like a warrior…power and pistons and persistent pace robs the full-back and then it’s at Vydra’s right foot and BANG! The net is dead…killed instantly by the Czech…

14.   I’m drowning…the air is thick with words all around…

15.   …and Jerome….again! ….goallllll! ….dreamin’……Whiitttee Christmas….at 10,000 decibels…

16.   Oh My word…there was power and passion, and persistence and we played football…

17.   I’m walkin’ home on a cushion of air and William says…Crikey! That’s more like it. Got to have been the best home game of the season…

18.   Wisdom MotM …hard not to give it to Jerome …but Wisdom was a man possessed.

19.   Morrisson trudges off the pitch with a trail of egg drippin’ from his face…he who laughs last eh boyo?

20.   Perhaps GR has been reading Alan Latchley’s Motivational Manual “Dare to Fail…”. Is it the formation change? Or has the sword of Damacles loosened GR’s tactical strait jacket? Please give us football like this every week.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Warnock and Cardiff may yet get the last laugh in the play-offs.

Not sure he risks having a mirror about the place?

The weird thing is that although the football wasn't technically great as a game, (Too many iffy passes and lack of control for me) it was a real ding dong of a match with so much to shout for. It was all stretched nerves and sinews and the minutes filled with 60 seconds worth distance run. They were Rams my son. 

On Wisdom, yes it's a bit of a toss between him and a man who scores a brace but I am really hoping Andre has resolved whatever family / personal issues he had because he really is a key player with real PL quality. Wisdom on song and you have an extra dimension in a championship side. 

14 minutes ago, jono said:

The weird thing is that although the football wasn't technically great as a game, (Too many iffy passes and lack of control for me) it was a real ding dong of a match with so much to shout for. It was all stretched nerves and sinews and the minutes filled with 60 seconds worth distance run. They were Rams my son. 

On Wisdom, yes it's a bit of a toss between him and a man who scores a brace but I am really hoping Andre has resolved whatever family / personal issues he had because he really is a key player with real PL quality. Wisdom on song and you have an extra dimension in a championship side. 

Hey @jono...Kipling-esque. And so correct about Andre...it's all about his head and what goes on inside it.

Archived