Would you rather....

whiteroseram

...another season attempting the same OR a rebuild year.

Another season of the same:

Maybe new manager few £million spent mostly on shorter term players aiming at promotion and purely results focus.

Rebuild year:
Probably mid table mediocrity for a year (or 2). Get rid of a chunk of the older lads and dead wood (where we can, even if it involves writing off money to clear the decks!) also clear anyone who's bad influence  (we won't know who, only managers and staff at club will know). Bring young lads at least into squad, Thomas, Elsnik, Guy etc. as well as a couple of fighters who're loyal to the club (maybe Hansen?). Probably a new, young manager (Someone of Lee Johnson's ilk). Consolidate, bring in young lads, clear some breathing space in FFP...but no promotion. 

Thoughts?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rebuild, even if it takes 2 or 3 years.

I don't really have a connection with any of these older players we've got, I would like to see them moved on (unfortunately that probably means waiting until their contracts have expired in most cases) then start again with a much younger, hungrier squad.  Of course that will mean investing in a proper scouting network first...

There’s nothing to say we can’t do both if we get the summer right. Sadly we haven’t done that for a while and that’s what’s got us in this mess, get shot of the old deadwood and bringing in good young talent (perhaps top end prem academy rejects?) should give us the rebuild we needed, while playing good football and, if it’s all successful, can challenge for promotion as well. Not an easy task to do, it’s gonna be a busy summer, just hope the right man leads it.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Disappointed. I thought this was going to be a snog, marry or avoid thread when I read the title.

Gary Rowett, Phil Brown, Paul Jewell. Snog, marry, avoid??? Over to you 

TobyWanKenobi

We've been in a state of 'rebuilding' for 10 years.  Another season of the same, would be a season of rebuilding.

I’d snog Gary Rowett and then bin him off. 

Would like to see a rebuild with a different manager. Making the right appointment this time is crucial, then give it at least two or three years. 

The intention was right this time, but the appointment was wrong, as Rowett has taken us backwards imo. 

I'd rather get rid of Rowett and find someone who has proven record of playing attacking football to some success and doing it while not spending a fortune (relevant to that level). Then give them multiple transfer windows to develop the squad. I'd accept any finish above 22nd next season and expect to see gradual improvement. 

15 minutes ago, TobyWanKenobi said:

We've been in a state of 'rebuilding' for 10 years.  Another season of the same, would be a season of rebuilding.

We were building well under Clough. But too slow. So Mac came and accelerated it. Since then we've fooked about. 

The team that lost the Play Off Final added Thorne and Christie, Ince and Bent. Probably needed more. Thorne got injured in a friendly. Since then it's been chaos. A lot of Clement, a touch of Pearson, a piece of Mac and a dollop of Rowett. 

The 13/14 team..

Grant, Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Ward, Martin - Hendrick, Dawkins, Bamford, 

... better level than this team and we spent loads since then

Which manager would everyone want though? For me I think we could do a lot worse than Paul Cook at Wigan. Plays good football and has had decent success where he has been, albeit lower leagues.

Having said all that we cant keep chopping and changing, look at Brighton, had they sacked Houghton when they finished 20th would they have gone up shortly after? I do miss the attractive flowing football though.

We have to stop the manager merry go round at some point.

This season is fizzling out disappointingly once again, but I think we're very sensitive to that bearing in mind the recent pattern of late season collapses we've experienced.

I agree Rowett's style of football is far from scintillating but in pure performance terms, a finish between 5th-8th isn't terrible. He deserves another season.

Archived