A poll:- Mel Morris

Mafiabob

Mel Morris, How do you rate his time here (out of 10)  

277 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

7? Wow, what would you have given him if we'd have got promoted automatically this season.

I think most people would be critical that he has chopped and changed managers,  and now Rowett is the wrong man.  Put it this way if we'd got top 2 this season no-one would be complaining about him.

So he is now seemingly keeping quiet, and giving Rowett  (who the majority wanted) time. So that's what he should be doing, no??

Unless he feels that Rowett isnt playing the right way or planning for the future and ignoring his brief....  all of which previously  led to the sacking of  Clement, legal action, and derision of his 'Derby way' stance.

Who'd be an owner!!

6 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I think most people would be critical that he has chopped and changed managers,  and now Rowett is the wrong man.  Put it this way if we'd got top 2 this season no-one would be complaining about him.  

I think they would, in the same way some complained about Rowetts style of football - but of course less will listen.

8/10

We're one manager with a following wind away from getting to the Prem (although that one manager might need a couple of seasons to rebuild now)

Yes mistakes have been made but surely life is a learning curve?  MM has maybe said a little to much at times and been a bit quick to pull the trigger but his investment in the club and backing of managers has been excellent.

Anyone voting 1 or 2 out of 10 should consider the problems at Blackpool, Forest under Fawaz, our dislike of GSE or potential owners from China or wherever coming in with no affection for Derby just the opportunity to use us as a meal ticket.

On the whole we're a well run club operating mostly at the top of the Championship, with time, experience and a bit of luck we'll get promoted - a couple of seasons patience might now be required however to rebuild and go again.

10 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

think I've agreed with all of his managerial appointments, but none of his sackings (bar Clough - was Morris even here then?)

Nah I think Mel's first managerial decision would've been to sack Mac1 and hire Clement. Its only the last 2 or 3 years really but it seems a lot longer!

I've gone for 7 because I think he's been really unlucky. Mcclaren screwed him over first time, Clement definitely did something to force his hand (I hope!), Pearson was just a bad dream let's not think about that, Mac2 was almost amazing, Rowettball had us second like a week ago - it just keeps turning to **** for him. He's invested really well and always financially backed the managers. It'll come good Mel keep going!

5 from me.

The infrastructure of the club is definitely better - as an overseas fan, being able to stream every game with a subscription is incredible. On the flipside, we've gone so far backwards on the pitch that this is the only year where I would cancel said subscription mid season.

9 hours ago, maxjam said:

8/10

We're one manager with a following wind away from getting to the Prem (although that one manager might need a couple of seasons to rebuild now)

Yes mistakes have been made but surely life is a learning curve?  MM has maybe said a little to much at times and been a bit quick to pull the trigger but his investment in the club and backing of managers has been excellent.

Anyone voting 1 or 2 out of 10 should consider the problems at Blackpool, Forest under Fawaz, our dislike of GSE or potential owners from China or wherever coming in with no affection for Derby just the opportunity to use us as a meal ticket.

On the whole we're a well run club operating mostly at the top of the Championship, with time, experience and a bit of luck we'll get promoted - a couple of seasons patience might now be required however to rebuild and go again.

How we used to laugh at Forest under Fawaz, bumbling along without a CEO, watching him ingratiate himself with the fans through publicity stunts, while various mates helped to fill the gaps in his knowledge and act as advisors.

Meanwhile we cruised to inevitable promotion under slick Sam and mighty Mel, who could strike Jedi like mind control on clubs who didn't want to sell us players.

It's a black mirror indeed that Mel peers into at the minute, he probably sees Fawaz staring back at him.

3/10.

Plus points -

1• Debt cancellation.

2• Infrastructure investment.

3• Fan forums and the committee type thingy.

4• Holding prices steady, and indeed taking action when others wanted to ramp them up. I know personally he took such action.

5• Ramstv, truly a thing of wonder, it's obviously a much improved product, seemingly due to his bloody mindedness to introduce it, and force the league to accept it. A big hand is due from all the FL72 for his intransigence in pursuing it.

Minus points.

-1• Now runs the club as a personal fiefdom, rather than acting as a custodian for all Derby fans. Evidenced by not bringing in an experienced CEO to replace Rush, despite him saying he wished to stay a non executive chairman.

-2• Says one thing, yet does another. Many examples of this, 'The Derby Way' being the best example. Literally no appointment other than Mac 2 has fitted this philosophy.

That's how I've arrived at 3/10, leaving balls like the drone incident, which never happened btw, out of it.

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

I've gone for 7 because I think he's been really unlucky. Mcclaren screwed him over first time, Clement definitely did something to force his hand (I hope!), Pearson was just a bad dream let's not think about that, Mac2 was almost amazing, Rowettball had us second like a week ago - it just keeps turning to **** for him. He's invested really well and always financially backed the managers. It'll come good Mel keep going!

He's played a big part in a lot of those decisions. 

How exactly did McClaren screw him over the first time? If my memory is correct Morris didn't buy the club until the 14/15 season was over so how could McClaren screw him when he didn't own the club?

It's a complete supposition to say that Clement definitely did something. If he was the only manager to have been sacked quickly by Morris, you could maybe give him the benefit of the doubt, but not when he's sacked four managers (five if we include not giving Wassall the job full-time) in less than three years. 

I'll accept Pearson. 

If Mac2 was almost amazing then why did he sack him so quickly? Why not back him like he claims to back his managers?

If I'm being honest, I think he's an impatient man who is far too emotional to be the Chairman of a football club.  He's a great owner, but a rubbish chairman.

8 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

It's a complete supposition to say that Clement definitely did something.

If Clement was indeed sacked for football reasons and not some behind the scenes inexcusable misconduct, then Mel loses 6 of his 7 marks and should be put in s straight jacket.

10 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

5 from me.

The infrastructure of the club is definitely better - as an overseas fan, being able to stream every game with a subscription is incredible. On the flipside, we've gone so far backwards on the pitch that this is the only year where I would cancel said subscription mid season.

Derby is not the only side doing this. But as i have mentioned before, great online restructuring and the building up of rams TV. Category A academy (yet to see any results). 

However terrible at running all the other aspects of the club with contradictory statements to suit whatever agenda hes got going. Sacked the only manager who could deliver the derby way then hired a hoofball merchant who then went against everything he promised.

I really want to like Mel and support him, and i feel for him. But he gets a 1 from me. Years and millions wasted. Still take another lifetime to see a team like we had again.

9 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

He's played a big part in a lot of those decisions. 

How exactly did McClaren screw him over the first time? If my memory is correct Morris didn't buy the club until the 14/15 season was over so how could McClaren screw him when he didn't own the club?

Mac 1 was never sacked for the Newcastle link. He was sacked because he wanted things done his way.

Archived