A poll:- Mel Morris

Mafiabob

Mel Morris, How do you rate his time here (out of 10)  

277 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I get the sentiment that he's been cut more slack because of his affinity with the club but does anybody seriously think he's made decisions to detrimentally affect the club? He's made mistakes because he's human. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. He who is without sin.........as a Great man once said. I'm not religious btw but this applies to this situation. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had to give him 2/10. Ultimately all the good he has done counts for nothing as what happens on the pitch is the important thing. I am not judging him on NOT getting promotion, cos I am realistic enough to know that isn't easy to achieve, what I look at is what he bought and what's he did with it.

My mate's dad bought a classic Jaguar XK8 back in the early 90s and tried to convert into into a convertible, as he considered himself good with that sort of stuff, a couple of years later, he gave a roofless car with 20000 miles away for free cos it was being used as a skip on wheels. Absolute lunacy! I see what Mel's done as similar. He bought back into the club on a high, with feelgood factor, but off the back of a collapse caused by awful injuries in key areas. He was swayed by foolish opinion that McClaren's handling of (nothing more than) speculation regarding the Newcastle job was to blame for the collapse, instead of mental frailties in key players and injuries to other key players. I have no doubt that had McClaren been allowed to shape the squad that summer, we'd have been successful, but step forward Mel Morris with stupid decision number 1, sacking SMc.

The domino effect of that has ruined everything Mel inherited. Clement, lacking ANY knowledge of the competition he was expected to win, sanctioned transfers of a woeful bunch of players, over the going rate. Other players who should/could/would have been culled by McClaren were awarded payrises and longer contracts. Expectation increased, and an entitled fanbase groaning cos of the promises made, and the Derby Way nonsense.

Basically Mel needs to appoint a David Dein type character and ban himself from being involved. If that means he doesn't put money in, so be it. I never wanted his money in the club anyway.

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I get the sentiment that he's been cut more slack because of his affinity with the club but does anybody seriously think he's made decisions to detrimentally affect the club? He's made mistakes because he's human. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. He who is without sin.........as a Great man once said. I'm not religious btw but this applies to this situation. 

Not hindsight. By now he should know what he is and isn't good at. He makes the same mistakes over again.

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not hindsight. By now he should know what he is and isn't good at. He makes the same mistakes over again.

Surely not with the sole intention to detrimentally affect the club though? This time he's been hoodwinked by Rowetts ********. In some respect I suppose Rowett sucked us all in. I'd hazard a guess that even GRs biggest fans are having doubts about him tonight. I wish I knew the answer to our problems but I personally don't think hounding Mel out is the answer.

I really do think that Mel is a Ram, but he must be getting shocking advice. Jesus! even Harry crooked Redknapp was drafted in behind the scenes at some point, alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear at that point. We/Derby County are growing closer and closer to becoming the perfect idiom for "all the gear no idea". when that useless rich kid turns up for games with his Pred's and his brand new Kookabuurra, all the other kids mumblin...." he's well darbeh counteh him int 'ee", one of them new cultural references, "a bit david brent" "a abit jimmy saville" (apologies) like  Accrington Stanley when i was growing up. Maybe we need a milk advert to go global. Really get our name out there. We need to embrace how actually naff we've become. Then we can all enjoy it again. We can rebuild this on foundations of irony. A post modern football club. then we'll win, in a way. pfffft ha ha. Melvyn. get some decent advisors mate. We know youre in it because you care. Same reason folk end up venting spleen on here. shambles at the minute though int it.  

It all just seems so disorganised and poorly run. His hearts in the right place, and I’m glad on the investment in the academy and facilities. But his decisions have taken us backwards. There’s no clear philosophy in place when picking managers, and we simply haven’t found a manager good enough to see us up yet, it’s not like any of them have gone on to be a success elsewhere. He seems to hold too much power without really knowing what he’s doing, there should be a chief exec in place to handle footballing affairs. And a director of football who’s good enough to recruit players to fit a defined style. Has the right intentions, but it’s all been so poorly executed. A great shame.

I feel sorry for him, and i want him to succeed. But he has been a bit of an idiot at times.

We can agree or disagree with individual decisions, and many errors were made, but they are now in the past and there is little to be gained by agonising over them again now.

I think he has been a bit unlucky with gary. I believe that Mel sacked mac2 because he was about to lose gary to norwich. He backed GR, and his strategic plan but common sense should have told him that ditching Will Hughes was not a good idea. The irony is that he was more on the right track at the beginning when he wanted to focus on entertainment, style, and growing our own. 

He has faults, and one is that he is too close to gary. He makes too many public pronouncements such as "gary will be the manager next season irrespective of results" because he feels that they have a good working relationship. In fairness that was before the collapse, but a certain detachment is essential. The manager should be judged on performances and results, not his matey-ness. And it is puzzling that PC was allegedly sacked for exactly the same things that gary has done. Similarly he was probably too trusting with Sam. 

He has a difficult job. He has hangers on advising him to do this and that. He is a novice in terms of running a football club. His exec team look weak, probably unable to give him the benefit of a few home truths at times. This has allowed the agents to take the piss. But with gary he has simply been unlucky.

2/10

4 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

10 ! What has he done wrong ? Apart from being slightly naieve at times but who wasn't whilst learning there trade ? He's a fan just like me u and the rest of us ! We all have an opinion . So does Mel ! 

I'm a fan too, but trust me, you wouldn't want me running the club. 

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes we have and Mel sacked him twice. Cos good managers with pedigree are easy to come by.

Mac was ***** second time and you know it. The 1st time granted he was good but he kept fluttering his eye lashes at Mike and Mel didn't like it and neither would I !

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes we have and Mel sacked him twice. Cos good managers with pedigree are easy to come by.

McClaren is the past, he’s been the best of the lot, but he still had his own tactical naivetes and was too stubborn when injuries hit. We need similar but better, not easy to come by, but other teams have, so why can’t we? Just need to look a bit further afield perhaps.

1 minute ago, RiddingsRam said:

Mac was ***** second time and you know it. The 1st time granted he was good but he kept fluttering his eye lashes at Mike and Mel didn't like it and neither would I !

I would agree that the end of his second tenure wasn't great but he did a great job turning around Pearsons disastrous spell. Even Macs biggest critics can't deny that.

2 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

Nor me , but I'm not a multi millionaire  and I'm guessing your probably not either. 

Herein lies the problem..... people see his cash and he’s from Derby.....

He's made mistakes, but he'll learn from them.

He's invested hugely, and deserves massive thanks and a lot of leeway.

8/10. Trust him, he'll get it right.

Cant believe people are him 1 out 10!? All you lot ask yourself 1 question..

If you loved dcfc and had £500 million in the bank. Brought the club. What would you do? 

Employ a manager who you thought like most folk was the right man to get us to the next level. Give him what he wants regarding transfers. Fails. Next manager. Give him money. Fails? 

This dire sh@the were watching isnt mels fault.

He can only be blamed for hiring the manager.. not what happens after

2 minutes ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

If you loved dcfc and had £500 million in the bank. Brought the club. What would you do? 

Employ a manager who you thought like most folk was the right man to get us to the next level. 

Well that wouldn't have been Clement, Pearson or Rowett! If I'd had that sort of money I'd have hired better managers.

Archived