A poll:- Mel Morris

Mafiabob

Mel Morris, How do you rate his time here (out of 10)  

277 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You are rich. You love Derby County. What do you do?

Buy the club of course! Any buy some players whilst at it...preferably some you've heard of right? (got to send the right message yeah?).

And get the right manager? Enter, an ex-player who has got 2 successful managerial stints behind him. Can't fail.

***NEWSFLASH*** its not as simple as this. And for all of you who want Mel to 'do one', I refer you to Jeremy Keith & his 'train set'/ Robert Maxwell starving our 88/89 team of any investment.......how quickly some of you forget.....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Finch said:

Time to move on.

To what exactly ?

a chairman that spends money on the clubs facilities, increases our revenues and backs all his managers ???

oh wait .... 

or would u rather go back to the 3 amigos or the "restructuring" Americans and season upon season of cost cutting a little hope

9 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

Cant believe people are him 1 out 10!? All you lot ask yourself 1 question..

If you loved dcfc and had £500 million in the bank. Brought the club. What would you do? 

Employ a manager who you thought like most folk was the right man to get us to the next level. Give him what he wants regarding transfers. Fails. Next manager. Give him money. Fails? 

This dire sh@the were watching isnt mels fault.

He can only be blamed for hiring the manager.. not what happens after

I gave him 1.. He was lucky to get that..

If I had 500 mil and brought the club I would at least have a vision and stick to it. At least he started like that but then lost his way. He needs strong people around him not yes men. Checks and balances, we all make bad decisions but sometimes you need someone to take you aside and tell you your wrong. 

Explain the styles of manager he appointed.

If big business goes wonky, who is to blame? The guy on the shop floor or the CEO? If the government fails in anyway, who is asked to resign? 

Our problems, like it or not, do stem from his decisions. Big spending early doors now means we have FFP problems. A question, was ‘backing’ his managers like he did, good chairmanship? Listen it’s not easy and hindsight is wonderful blah, blah, blah. 

He’s a fan but has that been the problem? Should he have got more good football people around him? DoF? He is not a football man. He has poor advisors, I would love to know who thought standing in the South Stand was a good idea. Ego? One of our own? 

He’s in a bad place now with Rowett, he has sacked many for less. I must admit him not having that trigger finger over this has raised my opinion of him. Has he learnt something? 

I am sure he is a nice man and desperately wants to do well, I hope he does turn out to be a successful owner and we enjoy a period of success.. But being local and having money does not by default mean you are a good chairman and people are blind to that. I still maintain, if his name was Fawaz, Chung, Ho or whatever people would be screaming for their heads if the track records were the same.

26 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

I gave him 1.. He was lucky to get that..

If I had 500 mil and brought the club I would at least have a vision and stick to it. At least he started like that but then lost his way. He needs strong people around him not yes men. Checks and balances, we all make bad decisions but sometimes you need someone to take you aside and tell you your wrong. 

Explain the styles of manager he appointed.

If big business goes wonky, who is to blame? The guy on the shop floor or the CEO? If the government fails in anyway, who is asked to resign? 

Our problems, like it or not, do stem from his decisions. Big spending early doors now means we have FFP problems. A question, was ‘backing’ his managers like he did, good chairmanship? Listen it’s not easy and hindsight is wonderful blah, blah, blah. 

He’s a fan but has that been the problem? Should he have got more good football people around him? DoF? He is not a football man. He has poor advisors, I would love to know who thought standing in the South Stand was a good idea. Ego? One of our own? 

He’s in a bad place now with Rowett, he has sacked many for less. I must admit him not having that trigger finger over this has raised my opinion of him. Has he learnt something? 

I am sure he is a nice man and desperately wants to do well, I hope he does turn out to be a successful owner and we enjoy a period of success.. But being local and having money does not by default mean you are a good chairman and people are blind to that. I still maintain, if his name was Fawaz, Chung, Ho or whatever people would be screaming for their heads if the track records were the same.

Not a lot you can argue with there really. But you sometimes have to stick with what you thought was right and ride it out.  It might come good, but it’s the not knowing isn’t it?

I agree about the bit about him being local and not a foreign owner too, look at the grief the Yanks got from us.

But I think he’s probably learnt a lesson a hard way, and now the future will be different, young hungry players excited to be playing for our great club. Wanting to come and play to show how good they are and not just for the money.

But footballers are sadly all about money nowadays, agents have ruined it and they all just want to best deal for their players so their cut every month is good.

One things for sure, I bet Mel Morris is hurting as much as any supporter right now. Millions in the bank or not.

Just now, Boycie said:

Genuine question.

Have you always been so pro Rowett?

I wanted him at Derby and then I was alarmed after the Bristol away and Sheff U away results and the January window.

I honestly believe Rowett is working from a MM script 

1 minute ago, curtains said:

I wanted him at Derby and then I was alarmed after the Bristol away and Sheff U away results and the January window.

I honestly believe Rowett is working from a MM script 

As in system or transfer policy?

I can’t belive after the previous times you were alarmed that you weren’t alarmed again yesterday?

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

As in system or transfer policy?

Both .

Academy regarding pressure to bring players through .

Transfer policy and reducing squad size etc etc 

I am alarmed but what would be achieved by sacking Rowett with 4 games to go and 1 point off playoffs with a game in hand. 

Pressure to bring young players through?

Obvioulsy not this season, but I think he wants an improvement on investment in the Accademy yes.

FFP is ruling transfer policy at the moment, and that in turn is making us trim squad size etc to accommodate further investment.

It would be the same no matter who was in charge I assume?

2 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Pressure to bring young players through?

Obvioulsy not this season, but I think he wants an improvement on investment in the Accademy yes.

FFP is ruling transfer policy at the moment, and that in turn is making us trim squad size etc to accommodate further investment.

It would be the same no matter who was in charge I assume?

Totally agree 

Can someone put this poll into some kind of conclusion then?!!

Fair to say the fans are 'split'.

I went for 7. Put lots of his own money in...bought into the dream and I was loving it (although a bit concerned) when we were splashing the cash. 

In hindsight (being generous) we overpaid...but he was backing his manager can't blame him for that. Then lost his nerve and kept pulling the trigger on managers most of the fans wanted initially. Poorly advised but well intentioned  ...I can live with that better than some cold eyed foreign investor rummaging through the family silver looking for a fast buck.

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well that wouldn't have been Clement, Pearson or Rowett! If I'd had that sort of money I'd have hired better managers.

At the time the polls on this website showed great support for each one of those appointments... hindsight is wonderful. 

The only fault I have is not bringing someone in with experience of running a football club to help him devise a strategy. A cortese sort. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

At the time the polls on this website showed great support for each one of those appointments... hindsight is wonderful. 

The only fault I have is not bringing someone in with experience of running a football club to help him devise a strategy. A cortese sort. 

That's the key point. It's not as if Mel has been making head banging appointments. The majority have been happier at each appointment than for those by any chairman we've had. We can't go back now and round on Mel for decisions we were overwhelmingly supportive of at the time.

It's recruitment that's let us down. We've been hit and miss at absolute top dollar since Mac1. Rush, Evans and the scouts need some blame, but ultimately the managers have been unable to shape coherent squads to their own design through failed buys and an inability to clear dead-wood as we've overpaid fees/wages in the first place.

This is why I've arrived at the position where Rowett has to stay. No manager in charge at the start of next season will have the squad he wants, because he'll be snookered by the wage bill and sheer size of the squad. It's the start of 2019-20 that we've got a bunch of players out of contract I think? I'm ready to write off next season as a free throw to bring through as many kids as possible and go again with a total clear out the year after.

What I want is high energy team taking the game to people, playing on the deck, and winning or losing 3-2,  not a drab team of seasoned pro's trying to grind out 1-0's. Can Gary deliver..? Maybe. But I'm not sure anyone can do it soon. Football's mad though. Changes overnight sometimes. On that note, I'd start with 3 at the back for the remaining games. We've ******* it up anyway, so we might as well try something new...and that desperately has to include some legs and energy somewhere.

I think I've agreed with all of his managerial appointments, but none of his sackings (bar Clough - was Morris even here then?).

Loadsmoney yes, but he has changed his mind on managers more often than I have changed my trousers. Some say he is a hard nosed businessman who doesn't suffer fools, I say he lacks the courage of his own convictions to see things through a sticky patch.

Sure, hindsight is twenty/twenty, but a lot of his errors - going into the dressing room, drone-gate, The Derby Way... are all things that he should know not to do in the first place. I'm a bit put out with the team at the moment, but realistically it is probably our level - I had hoped Rowett could instill a bit more fight and bottle and passion than we are seeing but that might take a bit longer than just over a year.

He either sticks with Rowett through this "bad spell" - I add that we are where we thought we'd be at the start of the season, or he sacks him and continues on his path of throwing enough arrows in the hope one hits the bullseye soon.

We desperately need someone in the recruitment/scouting department to come in and do a good job. Who's What's Uncle George Burley doing these days?

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Can someone put this poll into some kind of conclusion then?!!

Fair to say the fans are 'split'.

I went for 7. Put lots of his own money in...bought into the dream and I was loving it (although a bit concerned) when we were splashing the cash. 

In hindsight (being generous) we overpaid...but he was backing his manager can't blame him for that. Then lost his nerve and kept pulling the trigger on managers most of the fans wanted initially. Poorly advised but well intentioned  ...I can live with that better than some cold eyed foreign investor rummaging through the family silver looking for a fast buck.

7? Wow, what would you have given him if we'd have got promoted automatically this season.

Archived