Club Restructure- DOF

Leicester Ram

Blindingly obvious we need a complete restructure, to me.

Our crippling situation has been brought about by a constant string of managers, sometimes three a season, who try to put their mark on the squad and only manage to **** it up even more.

Large contracts on players the new manager we don’t want limit us, our best players on paper don’t compliment each other, there’s no way to coach academy players to fit into first team plans and the squad becomes bloated.

The constant changing of managers is clearly the big problem but we have a manager who clearly deserves the sack. But a new manager is just another step in the wrong direction.

We need a Director of Football.

Someone who is in control of recruitment and playing style, who can begin to build something with Mel’s backing regardless of who the coach is.

Take out the manager issue, go with head coaches who buy into what we want to do as a club and let them focus on the teams performance, improving players and setting up tactically for each game.

It lets us plan for the next four years instead of the next four months, like what happened so disastrously this January.

Let someone take the reigns at this club who is going to make the best decisions for our long term future, rather than a manager doing whatever he can to keep himself in the job.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn’t agree more. The club needs to be run more professionally in all areas. A proper recruitment department led by a competent DOF will help this massively. Someone who can lead a scouting staff and find players that fit a system and a philosophy. Managers can then be brought in to adhere to this structure and clear philosophy, with a clear link between him and the director of football. I’d argue sacking Wasall and bringing in a better head of youth devolpmemt as well. Someone who doesn’t manage any of the youth teams but oversees them as a whole and has a constant link to the manager as well to ensure a clear path for the youngsters and the youth teams follow the same philosophy. Everyone in the club moving in one direction, with a clear philosophy moving forward please!

7 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Our crippling situation has been brought about by a constant string of managers, sometimes three a season, who try to put their mark on the squad and only manage to **** it up even more.

Large contracts on players the new manager we don’t want limit us, our best players on paper don’t compliment each other, there’s no way to coach academy players to fit into first team plans and the squad becomes bloated.

The constant changing of managers is clearly the big problem but we have a manager who clearly deserves the sack. But a new manager is just another step in the wrong direction.

Someone who is in control of recruitment and playing style, who can begin to build something with Mel’s backing regardless of who the coach is.

Take out the manager issue, go with head coaches who buy into what we want to do as a club and let them focus on the teams performance, improving players and setting up tactically for each game.

It lets us plan for the next four years instead of the next four months, like what happened so disastrously this January.

Let someone take the reigns at this club who is going to make the best decisions for our long term future, rather than a manager doing whatever he can to keep himself in the job.

Absolutely and seemingly,so blindingly obvious,it's unbelievable that this hasn't been implemented since 2014.....it's surely the only way to keep momentum and continuity.

9 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

very good post mate , im inclined to agree with you

Not sure about a DoF, think someone else needs to be appointed to sign players but isnt that what we had Chris Evans for and didn’t he sign Albentosa Shackell Weimann Johnson Butterfield Bent ie lots of the players we are still saddled with on big wages, players who lack energy or quality or both? It’s got to be right! No guarantees. 

I thought I was on a Leeds Utd forum having read this thread.

Now theres a club with a huge huge playing squad most of which are 2nd rate footballers from poor level leagues across europe.

Been brought in by a whole cross section of managers from different countries

PistoldPete2

I agree. bring back Mac as team coach. We need to get the recruitment right, with Sam Rush and Chris Evans gone, we have the chance to bring in someone who can esablish a proper recruitment policy , proper scouting network and so on. Rowett has clearly lost the dressing room and the fans as well . Time for him to go.

27 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Now theres a club with a huge huge playing squad most of which are 2nd rate footballers from poor level leagues across europe.

This completely! I have a few mates who are Leeds fan and there in uproar over their new DOF. 

30 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

1 minute ago, deanoakaram4life said:

This completely! I have a few mates who are Leeds fan and there in uproar over their new DOF. 

There are also countless teams in Europe who have been using the system successfully for years. Done the right way, it works.

Id also back us to not be as shambolic as Leeds United regularly are, despite all recent evidence.

Both models boil down to having one man in charge of recruitment it doesn’t really matter if it’s a director of football that recruits the players and then someone else coaches them or a manager who both recruits and trains the players. If you get the recruitment wrong you are buggered in both cases.

14 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Absolutely spot on ?

DoFs always fail in the Championship as it's all about short term goals.  Getting promoted is everything. Style of play and development of players are always sacrificed in the scramble for points. A manager will always want his own players and resent having other people's choices foisted upon them. DoFs  just waste money.

Archived