Derbyshire Cricket 2018

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Typical Derbyshire collapse ?

Another game looks to be slipping away... 122 behind with 7 Glamorgan wickets left.

The first innings turnarounds will prove to be the difference - Glamorgan 52/5 & Derbyshire 357/5 should have resulted in a far bigger lead than 79.

2 hours ago, Carnero said:

Scraped an undeserved draw.

I think the emphasis of the recruitment was all wrong. Agreed we needed to strengthen the bowling but not to the extent we have. We needed at least 1 or preferably 2 batsman...that was before Reece got injured. We have been left playing w/k who can bat a bit as top order batsman....very poor in my view...…..

The difference between Leicestershire and Derbyshire over the first four sessions was that Leicestershire bowled at the stumps and Derbyshire used a predominantly short of a length approach (four batsmen received belts on the helmet). After 'lunch/tiffin' today they got the message, pitched the ball up and reduced Leicestershire from 168-1 to 295 all out. Palladino especially was excellent.

The more observant amongst you might spot something unusual about Leicestershire's first innings scorecard...

28 minutes ago, eddie said:

The difference between Leicestershire and Derbyshire over the first four sessions was that Leicestershire bowled at the stumps and Derbyshire used a predominantly short of a length approach (four batsmen received belts on the helmet). After 'lunch/tiffin' today they got the message, pitched the ball up and reduced Leicestershire from 168-1 to 295 all out. Palladino especially was excellent.

The more observant amongst you might spot something unusual about Leicestershire's first innings scorecard...

They had 12 batsmen, presumably because of the guy that retired injured.

Is that a rule change? Does it only apply to county cricket?

8 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

They had 12 batsmen, presumably because of the guy that retired injured.

Is that a rule change? Does it only apply to county cricket?

The injured player got struck on the helmet and subsequently failed a concussion test, meaning he could be replaced by another player. That’s definitely a new rule, not sure when it came in, I’d guess this season as it’s the first time I’ve seen it.

The rule came in this season, and covers the domestic competitions under the ECB. The replacement player has to be 'like for like', i.e. if a batsman is concussed, you can bring in another batsman. Similarly with a bowler.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

The rule came in this season, and covers the domestic competitions under the ECB. The replacement player has to be 'like for like', i.e. if a batsman is concussed, you can bring in another batsman. Similarly with a bowler.

The fact is we aint good enough, too reliant on 2 or 3 batsman to perform and we are a quality batsman or two light, especially without Reece. My early season optimism has already wained...bring on the footie season....

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

The fact is we aint good enough, too reliant on 2 or 3 batsman to perform and we are a quality batsman or two light, especially without Reece. My early season optimism has already wained...bring on the footie season....

It's about small margins, and I would suggest that Derbyshire are a 'work in progress'. One thing I would say is that 'day-night' county championship matches are an abject failure. If there were 150 people there on either of the first two days of the current match, I'd be surprised. To put pink ball cricket on to clash with the World Cup - well, that's insane.

28 minutes ago, eddie said:

I can see the sense in the replacement rule but do, for batsmen, the runs count for all 12 (which would be unequal) and what about wickets if a bowler is concussed and replaced? It would be interesting if either were replaced by a player demonstrably better (or worse) and who consequently had a major impact on the result.

Say a batsman got concussed after scoring his 100 and his replacement was out first ball. Whose score counts?

31 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Well we’ve addressed our batting issues by signing another bowler for the t20....

New Zealander Lockie Ferguson

28 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Well we’ve addressed our batting issues by signing another bowler for the t20....

New Zealander Lockie Ferguson

You are kidding me...that is absolutely ridiculous.....how many bowlers can you get in a team of X1???

40 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

I can see the sense in the replacement rule but do, for batsmen, the runs count for all 12 (which would be unequal) and what about wickets if a bowler is concussed and replaced? It would be interesting if either were replaced by a player demonstrably better (or worse) and who consequently had a major impact on the result.

Say a batsman got concussed after scoring his 100 and his replacement was out first ball. Whose score counts?

Both scores count (see the current scorecard) - and as I have already said, the replacement has to be 'like for like' and has to be agreed to by the on-field officials. You cannot replace a batsman with a bowler, a seam bowler with a spinner etc.

Archived