Derbyshire Cricket 2018

Jimbo Ram

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Didn't look likely early on but what a win!!!!

Was always looking like the spinners needed to do it, and when your spinners are 2 young lads, you wonder if they will be up to it. Once Qadri bowled out Wakely, Northants crumbled. 10 wickets and some runs in each innings for Critchley, man of the match performance.

Don't ever let anybody tell you that the long version of the game is dead. The Memsahib and I watched every ball from start to finish, and it was just a brilliant game of cricket between two very evenly-matched teams. Big ups to Critchley in particular. He's a young leg-spinner, and consequently you are always going to get a mix good and bad while he learns his witchcraft, but full credit to him, and to Billy Godleman for keeping him going and not letting his head drop.

Even when Northants got after him, he kept plugging away, always troubling the batsmen, and always with two or three men around the bat. Eventually it paid off, and with the departure of Alex Wakely, fifth out with the Northants total on on 224 when he was clean bowled by the effervescent Hamidullah Qadri, a Derbyshire win looked possible - if they could hold it together. That they did says a lot for their maturity, and massive credit to the coaching staff at Derbyshire. Matt Critchley is 21 and Hamidullah Qadri is just 17.

They will have bad days, but today was special. Two spinners, both kids really, doing the business.

Some interesting stats - before today, the last time a Derbyshire leg-spinner took 10 wickets in a match was in 1950 - that's even before I was born. Also, it was Derbyshire's first win at Chesterfield since 2008.

PistoldPete2
6 hours ago, eddie said:

Don't ever let anybody tell you that the long version of the game is dead. The Memsahib and I watched every ball from start to finish, and it was just a brilliant game of cricket between two very evenly-matched teams. Big ups to Critchley in particular. He's a young leg-spinner, and consequently you are always going to get a mix good and bad while he learns his witchcraft, but full credit to him, and to Billy Godleman for keeping him going and not letting his head drop.

Even when Northants got after him, he kept plugging away, always troubling the batsmen, and always with two or three men around the bat. Eventually it paid off, and with the departure of Alex Wakely, fifth out with the Northants total on on 224 when he was clean bowled by the effervescent Hamidullah Qadri, a Derbyshire win looked possible - if they could hold it together. That they did says a lot for their maturity, and massive credit to the coaching staff at Derbyshire. Matt Critchley is 21 and Hamidullah Qadri is just 17.

They will have bad days, but today was special. Two spinners, both kids really, doing the business.

A young leg spinner. Just what we need. Any chance of him playing for england?

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

A young leg spinner. Just what we need. Any chance of him playing for england?

He's already represented England Lions, so anything's possible.

12 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Who is going to Chesterfield on Saturday for the T20

It's usually nice weather, great atmosphere and lovely setting.

The good lady and I will be there

Waves.

It's a sell-out crowd - should be fun (in an 'all over in 3 hours - what are we going to do for the rest of the day?' way).

Would Qadri qualify for England? I imagine he's been here for several years.

As for Chesney, I understand he's had 3 150+ innings so far this season month. He also used to pick up some useful wickets first time round. What more can he do?

Archived