Sam Rush

ilkleyram
Message added by Day

I would like to remind all members of our terms of use which can be found at https://dcfcfans.uk/terms

This is an active court case, one that will generate a lot of interest and discussion, however posts that can be seen as slanderous/libellous to either party or club will be removed. 

If you do find that your post has been removed and you are unsure why, please contact a moderator/myself.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on it so far....

Derby were planning on getting rid of bent.

bent triggered his renewal and tweeted the laughing emojis

that might have cost us £1.5m

maybe it was a similar situation with baird - there could be another unplanned spend there.

unplanned costs have taken us closer to the edge with regards to FFP

Mel was angry. Probably discovered that the supposedly non-disclosed extension clauses - giving the player the right to extend the contract - exist with other players. 

Also found the over inflated attendance figures, perhaps triggering bonus payments that were not due.maybe they were counting tickets sold or given away but not used. I would be surprised if there wasn't some justification for the higher figures.

more issues are alleged to exist with regards to payments to agents etc.

mel summoned rush to a meeting to explain himself. Gave him no prior warning of the questions. Refused to allow him to be accompanied by a lawyer, and summarily dismissed him on the basis of his answers. Much of that would seem to be contrary to derbys disciplinary procedures and employment law. Therefore SR won the employment tribunal. But the allegations of misconduct have not yet been tested.

By the time that the case was developed it possibly also went back to alleged issues before mel arrived.

SR has counted that by arguing that everything was disclosed under due diligence when mel bought the club. Seems to have a good defence there. That limits the charges to events after mel arrived. SR will argue that he was acting within the normal remit of a CEO. Mel will argue that SR was acting beyond his remit - on a frolic of his own. SR will argue that the club via steven pearce knew all the financial details. But clearly mel was not sufficiently informed.

At least he didn't sell Will Hughes for a pittance. That was criminal.

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

I don’t think it’s going to affect the club in any way. It’s a straight fight between Mel and Sam, it may cost Mel a bit of dosh at worst.

It won’t be newsworthy outside a couple of financial columns and the DET.

That’s good to hear, I thought that all these sacking the club has made over the years and the compensation packages would have been paid by Derby and in turn have an effect on FFP.  

Learn something new every day.

9 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Never liked the man, talked a lot of ******** most of the time, Nigel Clough was spot on about him, the man knew nothing of football, but knew loads about arse licking the owners of the club, at the time lol.

Did any of the alleged stuff happen under the Yanks or was it just Mel's arse being licked?

Ah...

Rush's representatives also say that he had no authority to sign off any transfer deals - that was in the hands of the finance director, Stephen Pearce.

And they say that two extensive reviews of Derby's finances took place in September 2015 when local businessman Mel Morris bought the club, and again in an independent audit in June 2016. Neither found any irregularities.

12 minutes ago, RamNut said:

My take on it so far....

Derby were planning on getting rid of bent.

bent triggered his renewal and tweeted the laughing emojis

that might have cost us £1.5m

maybe it was a similar situation with baird - there could be another unplanned spend there.

At least he didn't sell Will Hughes for a pittance. That was criminal.

Where did you get the start and end of your story from?

It’s about time football clubs got their practices in order, time has moved on since George Graham negotiating signing Lee Dixon in the car park of a motorway service station and other more questionable deals. Clubs have always had a mess of double dealing and abuse of power  

I think the club should have acted within  employment law and dismissed him properly as that would have stuck.

15 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I think the club should have acted within  employment law and dismissed him properly as that would have stuck.

If Sam Rush had been in Derby's employ for less them 2 years then Morris could have got away with this, however not suspending Rush pending an internal investigation clearly communicating the charges in advance then not following protocol by arranging a disciplinary with allowing the respondent's right of reply made it probably one of the easiest decisions in recent years for an employment tribunal.

Morris doesn't come out of this with any credit himself and doesn't reflect well on the intelligence levels of a man whose amassed considerable business fortunes.

This blows up now, further unsettles the players, we drop out of the play offs and Rush can be blamed for all of it. Sorted!

Gives Rowett another year regardless.

That £7m would go nicely on team strengthening if we get it (which I doubt), combined with losing a few big earning bits of deadwood and moving past some ffp on the 2015 £25m summer spending spree.

Would be nice to keep it about just  football, I thought we would be drama free after we got rid of Jabbame Keith and his pals, but we've had a series of mini crisises over Mac and Pearson at management level, Hendrick and Butterfield at team level and now we get more Rush hooha.

27 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

If Sam Rush had been in Derby's employ for less them 2 years then Morris could have got away with this, however not suspending Rush pending an internal investigation clearly communicating the charges in advance then not following protocol by arranging a disciplinary with allowing the respondent's right of reply made it probably one of the easiest decisions in recent years for an employment tribunal.

Morris doesn't come out of this with any credit himself and doesn't reflect well on the intelligence levels of a man whose amassed considerable business fortunes.

I qualified in HR in 2005 and even though times change it’s a basic procedure regardless of your position. He could have asked me and I would have told him how to fail safe his sacking. Looks like he went off on one without consulting his (very well paid) advisors though. 

2 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I qualified in HR in 2005 and even though times change it’s a basic procedure regardless of your position. He could have asked me and I would have told him how to fail safe his sacking. Looks like he went off on one without consulting his (very well paid) advisors though. 

In fairness, we don't know what procedures and protocols were followed - These, of course, would be confidential.

Just now, Ewe Ram said:

It's definitely a decision made in anger.  Am not sure whether Morris truly understands now that the EAT has found in the favour of Rush what implications that will now have for his court case against the same man.

Morris has effectively prejudged the outcome and the EAT has said that he was totally wrong to do this. This must now have an impact on the legitimacy of the upcoming court case against Rush.

2 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

In fairness, we don't know what procedures and protocols were followed - These, of course, would be confidential.

Not true - read the transcripts from the EAT which stated that protocol was definitely not followed hence why they found it easy to find in the favour of Sam Rush and uphold his unfair dismissal claim.

7 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

No, but we do know what procedures weren’t followed and that is what is important in a tribunal. 

To be honest, I’m guilty of not realising that Rush was ‘an employee’ as such. I assumed he was involved under different terms. But that’s surely why Mel has lawyers and advisors. 

6 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Not true - read the transcripts from the EAT which stated that protocol was definitely not followed hence why they found it easy to find in the favour of Sam Rush and uphold his unfair dismissal claim.

Read - It's incorrect to say we know exactly what procedures happened. That the judge found that the correct procedures were not followed is undeniable, of course.

Just now, ShoreRam said:

Read - It's incorrect to say we know exactly what procedures happened. That the judge found that the correct procedures were not followed is undeniable, of course.

I don't think Morris truly understands how the outcome of the tribunal will have a direct impact on the outcome of his upcoming court case.

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

This seems a mess .

Hope it works out for Derby  County 

Everybody loses, you must realise that when a case like this makes it to court. Am still not sure how Morris will try to recover the £7 million plus legal fees from Sam Rush as if he has that little sum sitting under his mattress.

Archived