Too many oldies?

PistoldPete2

Without vydra today we relied on jerome and nugent for goals. Luckily we got palmer and lawrence and a rare one from Keogh. Jerome and nugent dont look like the players they were. Neither does ledley and  Baird had a poor game today some are saying. Is age catching up with these players especially having to play twice a week?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, superzak said:

The worry is if we go up through the play offs not one of the players mentioned will good enough or young enough to play in the prem. They will still be on the books though. Jerome, nugent ,baird ,ledley, Huddlestone davies maybe even martin.

Mentioned it before whatever division we are in next season there will have to be an element of rebuilding with a relatively old squad.I see this season as a gamble of experienced seen promotion before type players .

If he gets us up genius ,if not back to the drawing board.

36 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Without vydra today we relied on jerome and nugent for goals. Luckily we got palmer and lawrence and a rare one from Keogh. Jerome and nugent dont look like the players they were. Neither does ledley and  Baird had a poor game today some are saying. Is age catching up with these players especially having to play twice a week?

Actually we never struggled due to age going forward, Jerome for instance, although I’m not convinced by him, have to say was unlucky not to score.

Ljstened to radio Berks coming away and their fans were upbeat how much possession they had; this is the Rowett way to me but it did make me wonder if aging legs were more a factor in conceding so much possession too? 

The ran through and round us a few times, their summarisers were upbeat how they took the game to us, stating it was one of their better performances. G.R’s style does seem to encourage teams to attack and it’s ok but we just don’t seem so adept at defending right now.

So maybe tired legs could be coming into play, just more at the other end for me.

15 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

Mentioned it before whatever division we are in next season there will have to be an element of rebuilding with a relatively old squad.I see this season as a gamble of experienced seen promotion before type players .

If he gets us up genius ,if not back to the drawing board.

And if he doesn’t get us up we are left with old declining players that are still contracted to the club,  not sure how we can go back to the drawing board?

10 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

Which begs the question would Rowett still use the same tactic (encourage teams to attack us) if we did win promotion baring in mind those players/teams will be far more technically gifted than those we face currently. 

It worked for fester didnt it?

18 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

It's a factor, but probably not the only one. For what ever reason, we don't currently seem to be able to respond in the way that Villa did at Sheff Wed. We are dropping points to some very average or even struggling teams. It's going to take a big effort and a change in mindset to avoid defeat to Fulham. Challenging times for Rowett. 

18 minutes ago, europia said:

We are dropping points to some very average or even struggling teams. It's going to take a big effort and a change in mindset to avoid defeat to Fulham. Challenging times for Rowett. 

Maybe we are in fact an average team but people have become intoxicated with the rarified air at the Number 2 position in the league.

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

Maybe we are in fact an average team but people have become intoxicated with the rarified air at the Number 2 position in the league.

Quite possibly, but the team was in 2nd spot on merit. Yes there rode their luck, but no one get promoted without encountering lady luck along the way.

If we go up, it’s not a problem. Simply pay the coffin dodgers off. If we stay down we need another season or two, to rid us of the elderly and infirm. That’s assuming we stop extending  contracts for absolutely no reason. Whoever decided to give Thorne, Forsyth, Baird,  Bent etc, contract extensions, or Jerome any contact at all, needs shooting. We need to be ruthless not sentimental. If you’re good enough and young enough, welcome to Derby. If however, you’re looking to amplify your pension fund then you’re not. We need to stop buying players and make proper use of the loan market. Palmer was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Picked up as a last minute panic. Just think what we could have got if we tried hard all month 

4 minutes ago, Doodle said:

If we go up, it’s not a problem. Simply pay the coffin dodgers off. If we stay down we need another season or two, to rid us of the elderly and infirm. That’s assuming we stop extending  contracts for absolutely no reason. Whoever decided to give Thorne, Forsyth, Baird,  Bent etc, contract extensions, or Jerome any contact at all, needs shooting. We need to be ruthless not sentimental. If you’re good enough and young enough, welcome to Derby. If however, you’re looking to amplify your pension fund then you’re not. We need to stop buying players and make proper use of the loan market. Palmer was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Picked up as a last minute panic. Just think what we could have got if we tried hard all month 

I think you're spot on as regards the older players though the terminology seems a tad unkind, but I'm loathed to criticise Rowetts recruitment policies as I think by and large, he's been very astute. That said, some teams did seem to have rather better January windows than us, notably Cardiff who are now prospering as a result. I do think Palmer has the skill set to be a pretty special signing though.

1 hour ago, europia said:

Quite possibly, but the team was in 2nd spot on merit. Yes there rode their luck, but no one get promoted without encountering lady luck along the way.

You can't say we were there on merit on one hand yet we rode our luck on the other that's two totally conflicting appraisals.

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I agree. I think there are too many of us posters harking back to the glory days of the 70s and placing unrealistic expectations on the club. I think we should go quietly and let the FM experts take over! 

You called? Right we need to get Carlos Fierro upfront with hervin ongenda, get tomas postawski in midfield and sign Mathis de ligt at the back!

If you know, you know...

1 hour ago, Inglorius said:

You can't say we were there on merit on one hand yet we rode our luck on the other that's two totally conflicting appraisals.

Good AND lucky is better than just good though. Early season we couldn't buy any luck and I sort of agree with @europia that it kind of balanced out over the course of our good run.

Unfortunately it appears that Lady Luck has run off with the milkman again. 

6 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Good AND lucky is better than just good though. Early season we couldn't buy any luck and I sort of agree with @europia that it kind of balanced out over the course of our good run.

Unfortunately it appears that Lady Luck has run off with the milkman again. 

I don't particularly prescribe to the theory of good and bad luck I just believe our current league position is normalising now to the true standard of our play and players. 

Archived