Surprised. Embarrassed. Frustrated.

sage

59 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

It didn't work for us so why is it working for Wolves? It patently is effective if executed correctly, just like us "Doing a Derby" with 11 points in the Premiership we seem to write the rulebook on how not to do things. 

Maybe because they have a top manager not a top managers cone placer , that manager has brought in a few very high quality players not Jacob ,jono and nick Blackman 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, archied said:

Maybe because they have a top manager not a top managers cone placer , that manager has brought in a few very high quality players not Jacob ,jono and nick Blackman 

Sorry was meant to be a rhetorical question in reply to your statement.  

21 minutes ago, archied said:

More like they can bring in champions league quality players on favourable terms due to their links with "super agent" Jorge Mendes.

Even Clement would have their squad top of this league.

SURPRISED= Yes I am surprised we are so high up the league going into the last 14 matches. I thought this would be a building season. EMBARRASSED= Not really, I have always been proud of my team, regardless of our position in the leagues.                                    FRUSTRATED= A little bit. Why, well I thought we would have done better in the January transfer market. Seeing the current position we are in, with a chance to make automatic promotion.

On 2/15/2018 at 23:16, curtains said:

There are some valid points. 

It could be argued that Vydra was a Pearson success though and Anya is still at Derby .

I don’t think Pearson signed anyone else although he let Martin go on loan to Fulham. 

It's perhaps unlikely now, but if did go up via the auto's this season, would Pearson's have been exonerated regarding his attitude toward Chris Martin? Considering that Rowett has more or less taken the same view on the player. Just an observation....

10 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

It didn't work for us so why is it working for Wolves? It patently is effective if executed correctly, just like us "Doing a Derby" with 11 points in the Premiership we seem to write the rulebook on how not to do things. 

We didn't really though did we? If you're thinking we spent big in the clement season much of that was to patch up the team after early season ending injuries to hughes and bryson. There's been the occasional poor purchase such as blackman but not on a huge scale. 

On 17/02/2018 at 12:55, GenBr said:

FFP doesn't matter if you get promoted to the Prem ala Bournemouth. The rewards far outweigh the cost in that case. Wolves decided to blow everything on one season to try and get up and so far it is working, but their is no guarantee it would work the same for anyone else. 

Their net spend is about half of ours in 15/16

40 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

We didn't really though did we? If you're thinking we spent big in the clement season much of that was to patch up the team after early season ending injuries to hughes and bryson. There's been the occasional poor purchase such as blackman but not on a huge scale. 

correct me if im wrong , but Nick Blackman hasnt had a proper chance at Derby to prove his worth

On 16/02/2018 at 14:01, Mr Tibbs said:

Was it a mess?

It was the opportunity of a lifetime considering his previous achievements. Taken it with both hands so far. 

Of course it was a mess overpaid and underachieving players Fortunately some of them have gone He's the only manager out of the last four who has had to generate Hus own income for any signings he needs No good hiding we all know they were bottlers and were never going to get us out of this division and fortunately the owner knew that That's why Rowett  has ripped the team apart and started to put things in place so we can progress It won't happen this year but im confident it will next season

13 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Of course it was a mess overpaid and underachieving players Fortunately some of them have gone He's the only manager out of the last four who has had to generate Hus own income for any signings he needs No good hiding we all know they were bottlers and were never going to get us out of this division and fortunately the owner knew that That's why Rowett  has ripped the team apart and started to put things in place so we can progress It won't happen this year but im confident it will next season

C79A24DC-AD7A-436D-B9D5-1A63F44F9B9E.jpeg

mel has been ok writing cheques for single figure millions,the game has now moved on and i dont see him having the clout to pay teens of millions needed for the talent to go forward,given that if we dont get out this season there will be three more teams with parachute payments in the league next year making the task even harder

31 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

mel has been ok writing cheques for single figure millions,the game has now moved on and i dont see him having the clout to pay teens of millions needed for the talent to go forward,given that if we dont get out this season there will be three more teams with parachute payments in the league next year making the task even harder

Not always the case that parachute payments gives you a head start. The great majority of them might already be spoken for in lucrative contracts paid in desperation to try and stay up.

Think Sunderland. 

Not always the case that parachute payments gives you a head start. The great majority of them might already be spoken for in lucrative contracts paid in desperation to try and stay up.

Think Sunderland.

i agree but i still think we will be working in single figures of millions when the market for quality players at the right age demands teens,so the longer it takes to get promoted the harder and less likely the task becomes

2 hours ago, Mistaram said:

The same overpaid and underachieving players that are our best ones this year?

You'd have a point if Rowett had actually "ripped the team apart" but well over half our normal starting line up is made up of the same players you're on about. 6 of the regulars from this year played in his first game away at Forest, Johnson and Russell also started that game and have been a big part of our season so far. He's rid of out of favour players on big wages which needed to happen, no issues there but the majority of the starting 11 came from the "mess" he inherited. 

On 2/16/2018 at 14:27, ramblur said:

My own view (and I can't be absolutely sure because of the unknown nature of the large hike in admin expenses in 15/16) is that we could start next season (if not promoted) uncomfortably close to the yearly average FFP threshold of £13m even before a ball is kicked. The £31m overall wage bill postedin 15/16 was in itself far in excess of normal income generated,and even if you were to cull this (fairly substantially) to the level whereby it equated to normal income,there would be a host of other expenditure to count against FFP, so my warning is don't expect a spending spree.

I can't second guess Mel,but I wouldn't be surprised if he would support Gary if he came to him looking to spend fairly big on a youngish player,whose value might be expected to increase over time (wages only against FFP scenario). On the other hand it might be a case of 'I've spent enough,you'll have to wheel and deal and,maybe,introduce youth'. Only Mel (and possibly Gary) know the answer to that question. Mel must surely appreciate that Gary is having to unravel a mess not of his own making.

Surely we cant take it for granted that Mel will once more dig deep to finance a spending spree if we arent in the prem

Archived