GReat manager?

Half fan

GR's latest interview in which he explains his new thinking on the advantages of changing the team from one match to another, is impressive.

Add this to his recruitment track record, his undoubted communication skills, his sense of humour beneath which lies more of a fist to be respected and feared than Schteve exhibited, and I hope we are blessed with someone rather special in charge.

Consequently he has built a squad and not merely a team. Given the controversy which rages at many clubs about the pros and cons of 'squad rotation', this is some achievement.

And it's a squad for opponents to fear and respect on the pitch, rather than merely appreciate its Hughes/Ince skills which proved insufficent to achieve promotion.

Maybe too, Mel's removal of SR has facilitated the vital Owner Chairman/Manager direct relationship which has enabled and given room for GR's strengths to flourish. In which case, we are also now blessed with the right man at the very top too!

Discuss!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Half fan said:

And it's a squad for opponents to fear and respect on the pitch, rather than merely appreciate its Hughes/Ince skills which proved insufficent to achieve promotion.

This feels like an unnecessary dig rather than a comment of any substance 

12 minutes ago, Half fan said:

GR's latest interview in which he explains his new thinking on the advantages of changing the team from one match to another, is impressive.

Add this to his recruitment track record, his undoubted communication skills, his sense of humour beneath which lies more of a fist to be respected and feared than Schteve exhibited, and I hope we are blessed with someone rather special in charge.

Consequently he has built a squad and not merely a team. Given the controversy which rages at many clubs about the pros and cons of 'squad rotation', this is some achievement.

Maybe too, Mel's removal of SR has facilitated the vital Owner Chairman/Manager direct relationship which has enabled and given room for GR's strengths to flourish. In which case, we are also now blessed with the right man at the very top too!

Discuss!

I personally think you are bang on and if it does sound like having a dig at previous management it's probably because it  is very close to the truth

TobyWanKenobi

He's saying mostly the right things, but I prefer to judge people based on what they achieve, rather than what they say. Second in the league is great, but we're not promoted yet and wheels still have the potential to fall off, and he doesn't really have much of a record of giving our academy players opportunity, but that may be a case of the players not being good enough rather that GRs issue.

Some are going to write this off as a negative position, because anyone who doesn't say "We're second everything's perfect!" is obviously a wrist slasher or whatever, but it's not intended as that; we're still in early days. Things have gone great so far, but it's not even been a year yet. There's a long term to consider after this season.

As for Mel, his trigger finger seemed a bit too twitchy early on, Mac1 was a undeserved dismissal in my opinion, and arguably so was Clement (although not an argument I would make!), but generally it does seem that he's become more thoughtful and responsible over time. 

Overall, the future looks bright though.

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Rowett hasn't succeeded, though he may well do this season or next. Ultimately McClaren failed to deliver promotion so why can't you accept that?

What has that got to do with the comment about Rowett - all you Mac haters never miss a chance do you!

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

What has that got to do with the comment about Rowett - all you Mac haters never miss a chance do you!

Haha. I'm not and never have been a 'Mac hater'. Sad that you have to go into denial when anyone says anything that's not totally positive about your beloved Steve McClaren.

Hughes and Ince are probably two bad examples of players to use. Two of the best players at this level over the last few years who are now playing in the PL. Are we saying opponents at this level didn't fear Tom Ince?! Double figures every year, 1 in 3 from right wing Tom Ince?! 

Butterfield and Bent would have been better examples IMO. Bryson going on recent years form too. 

To the main point; yes, hopefully we do have the right man. Wouldn't say he's built his squad, hasn't really had time and inherited 75% of it but he's certainly getting more out of a lot of it than previous managers. Huddlestone and Davies have been brilliant additions but it's the old guard of Carson, Keogh and Vydra who have been the stars. 

Just now, Wolfie20 said:

Haha. I'm not and never have been a 'Mac hater'. Sad that you have to go into denial when anyone says anything that's not totally positive about your beloved Steve McClaren.

WHAT has my comment got to do with Mac? You made a weird comment and I suggested it was for a reason.

Get the thread back on topic thanks.

I like him and his attitude a lot.

it is possible to say that in terms of sexyness we haven't hit the Mac 1 heights, but as an all round unit that is adaptable I would back a GR team over a run of games and it isn't hoof ball. 

I really enjoy how he tweaks a starting team every so often but not on a whim. Players who get back in the fold seem ready from the off straight away. There is a resilience we haven't seen before. There is a hunger that has been missing, at corners, throw ins and all sorts. The demeanor of players on the pitch always seems a degree more together than in the recent past. He has managed to have a style that most players fit and are comfortable changing that style if we get rumbled. Lastly ... When did we last have one of those nervy hanging on for the last 10'minutes games ? .. You know where you are waiting for the inevitable slip up in the dieing moments ? We had some draws where we didn't get the winner .. But it feels as if there have been precious few games where we have dropped points in the last 5 mins ? 

2 hours ago, Half fan said:

Discuss!

I haven't heard the interview but in terms of him being a great manager, I would like to reserve judgment.

What he has achieved this season, assuming we finish in the top 6, is remarkable and deserves high praise.

I hope he is with us for many years but a few issues, albeit them very minor:

Will Hughes - I feel like one of the greatest players we had produced was forced out (I could be wrong)

Anya - what happened? He claims that Anya was behind every other player, not even worthy of a place on the bench only to be given a sub appearance and a start in sheer desperation. That was hardly great man management.

Recruitment - Rowett has bought in some good players, Davies and Huddlestone the 2 stand outs for me. Ledley I would applaud him for, but it was sheer fluke. We clearly came a cropper with the Kieftenbeld deal and this window the Lookman deal. I can't help but feel with 10 targets for every position rather than putting all eggs in one basket we have more success in the transfer window.

Other than that I love the man and would love having him as our manager in the prem.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not sure why you have such a problem giving Rowett any credit for what he's done to date even if the Prem is still just a possibility at this point in time. Plenty of folk on here rate both mate. Pretty clear you're one of the exceptions though :p

18 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Will Hughes - I feel like one of the greatest players we had produced was forced out (I could be wrong)

If we had to sell Hughes for so little to get in quickly for Huddlestone then it’s just one we’ll have to take on the chin. 

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

If we had to sell Hughes for so little to get in quickly for Huddlestone then it’s just one we’ll have to take on the chin. 

Agree with the sentiment but I would be sceptical that we were forced into a fire sale for the sort of fee we were looking at for Tom H.

To answer the original poster - I am still in the camp of seeing that what has been achieved results and position -wise to date, is nothing that we haven't seen in previous seasons. But we are now coming into the territory where we have dropped away in the past, so maintaining or even enhancing results will make GR stand out from that point of view.

He's been good at most of what I have seen of him do, but I wouldn't say seismically so.

11 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Not sure why you have such a problem giving Rowett any credit for what he's done to date even if the Prem is still just a possibility at this point in time. Plenty of folk on here rate both mate. Pretty clear you're one of the exceptions though :p

My opinion on Rowett is what is under scrutiny. Where on earth does Mac come into it - I never mentioned him, just questioned the first para of the OPs post.

"GR's latest interview in which he explains his new thinking on the advantages of changing the team from one match to another, is impressive."

I repeat, really?

35 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Anya - what happened? He claims that Anya was behind every other player, not even worthy of a place on the bench only to be given a sub appearance and a start in sheer desperation. That was hardly great man management.

None of us know what the problem was with Anya & being behind every other player in the first team. Whatever it was appears to have been (finacially or otherwise) sorted and Anya would have been aware of the issue.

It's a bit of jump, therefore, to conclude that it's bad man-management. How do you know it wasn't actually very good management of a difficult situation, now seemingly resolved?

Anya appears to have been nothing but professional about the whole thing. Would that have been the case if he'd felt let down by anyone?

20 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

None of us know what the problem was with Anya & being behind every other player in the first team. Whatever it was appears to have been (finacially or otherwise) sorted and Anya would have been aware of the issue.

It's a bit of jump, therefore, to conclude that it's bad man-management. How do you know it wasn't actually very good management of a difficult situation, now seemingly resolved?

Anya appears to have been nothing but professional about the whole thing. Would that have been the case if he'd felt let down by anyone?

I’d agree. It’s actually superb man management to keep someone you don’t rate quite as much as others content enough that the player maintains his professionalism and when called on, delivers.

All of our players seem to deliver whenever called upon - illustrative of excellent man management.

He’s clearly honest with them and motivates them, and even if he wants them gone they seem cool with it and don’t leave angry. He gives respect

Archived