GReat manager?

Half fan

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be interesting to see if many of those heaping praise now will be there to call Rowett a failure if we miss out this season. I hope not to find out. 

Always seems to me that those who are quickest with the praise are also quickest to cry. 

With Mac it never mattered where we were when he took over. Only once some people got a sniff of promotion they thought they deserved it and nothing less. 

Now Rowett is in the same position. Hopefully if we do fall short it will be put down as a disappointment and off we go again. But I imagine the mob start stamping their feet. Probably have the next messiah lined up by June 1st. Calling the team bottlers. Need a clear out. Sell them all. Overrated. Man City one minute and Mansfield the next.

It's a bit like England. They're crap, awful, clueless etc etc. Then there's outrage when they don't win the world cup. Clueless Southgate/Hodgson/Capello etc. 

I mean there's 3 bottlers in Ince, Hughes and Hendrick that moved up to the PL. Grant went up to Stoke too. 

Hopefully things stay composed at the club and if we miss out Rowett gets another go. 

27 minutes ago, angieram said:

Do the BBC know something we don't?  

2018-02-09_22_14_34.jpg

I wondered if someone would post that. Absolutely pissed myself when I saw it! Probably had it ready from the yank takeover that fell through when Rowett was No1 candidate!

Back on topic, he’s done a great job. Has actually had to work with budget restrictions unlike Clement who expensively assembled a mess. Mac did well under budgets and last time around was undeservedly sacked. But no one can deny Rowett has taken us forward with changing a poorly balanced squad with one more effective in this league, while reducing the wage bill and bringing cash in!

Rowett didn’t force Ince and Hughes out. No way! We lost them as we didn’t get promoted and they’re good players, just like Hendricks.

ive said it before,this season and this team has a feel of 95/96 about it, a team Gary was very much apart of and that nostalgia to me makes it feel even better. But if we don’t get automatic, we’ll get in the playoffs. And if we don’t get promoted, it’s still a major step forward from where we were last season and we’ll be in a strong position to build and go again next season!

For the first time in a long time, we might actually have some stability and right now that’s good enough for me. Anything else is a bonus!

11 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I wondered if someone would post that. Absolutely pissed myself when I saw it! Probably had it ready from the yank takeover that fell through when Rowett was No1 candidate!

Back on topic, he’s done a great job. Has actually had to work with budget restrictions unlike Clement who expensively assembled a mess. Mac did well under budgets and last time around was undeservedly sacked. But no one can deny Rowett has taken us forward with changing a poorly balanced squad with one more effective in this league, while reducing the wage bill and bringing cash in!

Rowett didn’t force Ince and Hughes out. No way! We lost them as we didn’t get promoted and they’re good players, just like Hendricks.

ive said it before,this season and this team has a feel of 95/96 about it, a team Gary was very much apart of and that nostalgia to me makes it feel even better. But if we don’t get automatic, we’ll get in the playoffs. And if we don’t get promoted, it’s still a major step forward from where we were last season and we’ll be in a strong position to build and go again next season!

For the first time in a long time, we might actually have some stability and right now that’s good enough for me. Anything else is a bonus!

All this is true.

Which in itself makes GR a manager who has done a lot of good things in the last 12 months. 

We just don't need the "great" hyperbole just yet. 

On 08/02/2018 at 00:52, cannable said:

I’d have to say that his over reliance on his left foot and lack of pace would prevent him from reaching that top echelon. 

and thats just 2 reasons.

I still think he would be more effective in another countrys league with a different pace, different phyicalitylevels , less direct play etc.

for a year and a half, maybe 2 years he was an excellent playmaker... but since his long term injury, just didnt see any consitancy from him what so ever.

34 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Messi? Maradona? Pickering? 

With his style of play and role in teams it’s more that being two footed would speed his play up

Modric and Iniesta are basically Hughes but do everything quicker and utilise their range of passing more regularly 

37 minutes ago, ram1964 said:

Cant say Ince or Hughes have set the premier league on fire this season.

In fairness to Ince, Huddersfield just don’t score goals. I always thought it was to do with the quality of their attackers but a whole new forward lineup is still impotent. 

Surely they must be the first team ever to be promoted with a negative GD?

Interesting time in the season which will show which manager has got the ability  to get out this division.  Warnock and Bruce have both done it before, GR has yet to see the job through at previous clubs he has been at, yet hopefully will have learned from the experience.

Where we finish at the end of the season is what he will be judged on, I believe that the manager is going to be the difference in the run in, he gets credit for putting us in a position where it is in our own hands, yet it means nothing if you don’t finish the job.

9 hours ago, cannable said:

With his style of play and role in teams it’s more that being two footed would speed his play up

Modric and Iniesta are basically Hughes but do everything quicker and utilise their range of passing more regularly 

to be fair to Hughes, Modric and Iniesta did have a bit more quality around them though didn't they?

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

GR..."Rammie, it doesn't matter about the Derby fallers, the lift not working, the stairs being blocked with some draws, we can and we will, still climb back up again, and we'll do it......"

Rammie...."Yes boss, D.C.F.C Love, Life & Unity"........

ehkd2b.jpg

That's a tall storey

On 9 February 2018 at 22:53, BramcoteRam84 said:

ive said it before,this season and this team has a feel of 95/96 about it,

On 9 February 2018 at 23:08, HantsRam said:

All this is true.

Really? I doubt whether either of these statements is true.

i can't see a resemblance with the 95/96 team. That team went on a massive 20 game unbeaten run. 

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Really? I doubt whether either of these statements is true.

i can't see a resemblance with the 95/96 team. That team went on a massive 20 game unbeaten run. 

This was the bit I thought sounded true, but forgot to bold the text in the original. Nothing to do with 95/96.

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2018 at 17:32, Pearson said:

Can we please dispel the myth that Hughes was/is a great player. He was one of the prime reasons we were treading water.

He was sold for a reasonable amount considering his ability and the money has been put to good use in the development of a side capable of gaining promotion.

The fact that he has only made four starts at Watford probably says it all.

youmad.jpg

Archived