We’re no longer a one man team.

Boycie

Just been thinking, for a lot of years we’ve been a one man team.

What I mean is lose that man and we’re struggling.

Commons, Hughes, Thorne? To name a few.

But now, we really do have back up in place. 

Its been a long time since we had that I believe.

what do you guys think?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to have some options in the building.

We've had quality over the pitch for a few seasons now, but only one tactic that didn't suit them all together. Now we have a manager who, although he favours one formation, utilises the skills from each player to change the tactics to suit the game.

His one flaw for me is that he sometimes waits a bit too long to make changes when it seems obvious to us fans that something needs changing. But what do we know? We haven't got the team to where they are now.

Long may these unconvincing 3-0 wins continue.

You could also look at it the other way. We have a lot of key players and losing any one of them could be the difference between finishing 2nd or missing out.

Carson, Keogh, Davies, Huddlestone, Vydra... if any of those were out for a considerable amount of time, my confidence about automatic promotion would be seriously dented.

10 minutes ago, Boycie said:

No, the opposite.

we are an 11 man team.

No prima donna’s

I know, I got you, just teasing. You may be right.

25 minutes ago, roboto said:

Nice to have some options in the building.

We've had quality over the pitch for a few seasons now, but only one tactic that didn't suit them all together. Now we have a manager who, although he favours one formation, utilises the skills from each player to change the tactics to suit the game.

His one flaw for me is that he sometimes waits a bit too long to make changes when it seems obvious to us fans that something needs changing. But what do we know? We haven't got the team to where they are now.

Long may these unconvincing 3-0 wins continue.

Don't be too harsh on yourself Gary! we all love you really ?.

28 minutes ago, cannable said:

Honestly, I’d say two man team.

Injury to Vydra and more importantly Carson and we’re ******* 

Yes we do depend on these two. There's weaknesses in the team for sure but the strength is how we keep clean sheets and Carson is definitley a big part of that. 

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

Vydra is key to the system and should he get injured then we may still be that one man team again

I'd argue differently. The system is key to Vydra not the other way around. I think we'd have equal success if Ince was in that role, I a more practical example Palmer/Lawrence. The system we play now means whoever appears to be in the middle behind the striker at any one time will have at least 1/2 clear cut chances created for them every game. 

2 hours ago, AdamRam said:

Vydra is key to the system and should he get injured then we may still be that one man team again

Possibly. But also, much maligned as he is right now, that position suits Lawrence very well. And we've now got Palmer too, for whom that apparently is his best position. 

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

i think we have a strong squad with lots of promotion experience. But if we do make the premiership, i worry we have an old squad. Will we go out and spend to strengthen. If we miss out on promotion, we would have to look at bringing in fresh faces.

A few seasons ago I felt we had much more of a vibrant young team but they weren't good enough to go up. You're right we have the oldest team in the league, but it's great to see our know-how and game management. It's what opposing fans often comment on, and they get really frustrated watching their teams play against us. At this point going down the path of experience seems to have been well worth it. Fans of Villa, Cardiff and Fulham are all excited but we're in poll position and show absolutely no sign of weakening.

Regarding @Boycie's point about not relying on any single player, I suggest it's true that we have good (near like-for-like) cover in every single position now except in goal. Of course we would miss Matej if injured because he's the league's leading scorer (what a great thing to be able to write) but Palmer coming in means he and Lawrence can challenge for that position if anything were to happen, and I also think Nuge would be a fine number 10 with Jerome or Winnall ahead of him.

Carson has been incredible but a reason we hardly ever concede is also the defence. If it came to it and Roos or Mitchell had to step up, our experienced leaders in Keogh and Davies would go a long way to helping them through to see us over the line.

Archived