Derby County v Brentford F.C.

Boycie

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, jono said:

I wasn't having a moan .. Just reflecting that he tried a lot of things but the hit rate wasn't that good. He's got it for certain but he isn't as influential as he should be given his reputation / and the relative hype attached to his name. It will come, I have no doubt because the basics in terms of speed of thought and touch are present. Just needs luck of the bounce, balance of probabilities. 

Sorry dude wasn't meant to be aimed at u, obviously looked like it when I go and quote ur post lol 

just in general there seems to be a bit of flack aimed at Lawrence, agree he's a little hit and miss but tbh the vast vast majority of wingers at this level are just that 

Given that we are doing so poorly, it's understandable that people express their frustrations... Rowett should have done this... Lawrence that... you're a ******* idiot if you are happy with this.

There's so much potential in this team but with a manager like Rowett, who's clearly incapable of bringing the best out of players, we have no chance of getting anywhere near the promotion places.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Given that we are doing so poorly, it's understandable that people express their frustrations... Rowett should have done this... Lawrence that... you're a ******* idiot if you are happy with this.

There's so much potential in this team but with a manager like Rowett, who's clearly incapable of bringing the best out of players, we have no chance of getting anywhere near the promotion places.

What a boring world we'd live in if you couldn't have an opinion... 

Posts like this are almost as cringeworthy as the ultra critical ones, there will always be points to criticise (constructively) in football. Whether you're Real Madrid or Forest Green Rovers. Obviously the moans and groans at the game for Lawrence are ridiculous and help nobody but a few comments on a football forum pointing out his consistent flaws hardly signals the end of the world. Has anyone said anything that absurd? That negative? I don't see why people can't have a discussion without getting met by a wall of sarcastic happy clappiness to be honest. 

43 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Posts like this are almost as cringeworthy as the ultra critical ones, there will always be points to criticise (constructively) in football. Whether you're Real Madrid or Forest Green Rovers. Obviously the moans and groans at the game for Lawrence are ridiculous and help nobody but a few comments on a football forum pointing out his consistent flaws hardly signals the end of the world. Has anyone said anything that absurd? That negative? I don't see why people can't have a discussion without getting met by a wall of sarcastic happy clappiness to be honest. 

A lot of the opinions expressed on match day threads are attention-seeking attempts to look like clever analysis. It's football. It's never going to make anyone look clever. I am especially fond of the critical team selection posts but I also have a soft spot for the why-didn't-the-manager-do-such-and-such stuff after another convincing victory. There's very little that's 'constructive' in any of it, other than attempts to construct an image.

Carry on with the 'discussions' (read back and you'll see they are nothing of the sort) and I'll carry on with the sarcasm. You'll have to have me banned to stop that.

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

You do remember the 'Richard Keogh has always got a....' thread dont you? :)

40 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

A lot of the opinions expressed on match day threads are attention-seeking attempts to look like clever analysis. It's football. It's never going to make anyone look clever. I am especially fond of the critical team selection posts but I also have a soft spot for the why-didn't-the-manager-do-such-and-such stuff after another convincing victory. There's very little that's 'constructive' in any of it, other than attempts to construct an image.

Carry on with the 'discussions' (read back and you'll see they are nothing of the sort) and I'll carry on with the sarcasm. You'll have to have me banned to stop that.

I can't see anyone trying to be clever, people just have opinions of how the game went. Some of them are different to yours, surely that's the beauty of it. Is anybody that critical of the team selection? I'm sure if you asked all the regular posters before the game to list their starting elevens we'd all have different versions. We've all got favourite players and we've all got our least favourites. One person questioned why Rowett stuck with 2 CDM's, one person out of a whole football forum of people who are 99% over the moon with how yesterday went. 

Loads of things to improve on, despite our favoured position. The time we stop constructively criticising is the time to shut down this place, there won't be any need for a platform to engage with others who have differing opinions. You'd think there were calls for Rowett's head after that initial post. 

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

You do remember the 'Richard Keogh has always got a....' thread dont you? :)

Of course. When was it started? When was the last negative post? Irrelevant at the moment. Even the haters are acknowledging his performances nowadays! 

Just now, Mr Tibbs said:

Of course. When was it started? When was the last negative post? Irrelevant at the moment. Even the haters are acknowledging his performances nowadays! 

Was just point out absurd things do get said. Not that long ago there was threads on here suggesting Rowett should be sacked if we lost the next game.

9 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

It's a thread that shows that instead of people trying come across like those ***** on Masterchef, they should probably try to look at things in a broader context.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Very well said indeed 

11 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Was just point out absurd things do get said. Not that long ago there was threads on here suggesting Rowett should be sacked if we lost the next game.

Wasn't that Forest at home? Where even Rowett has said that outcome was in the back of his mind if he didn't get the win? Haven't seen anything since September really, my apologies if I've missed them. 

I just don't think it's bad at all as far as negativity goes. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Wasn't that Forest at home? Where even Rowett has said that outcome was in the back of his mind if he didn't get the win? Haven't seen anything since September really, my apologies if I've missed them. 

No I will admit the level of negativity has dropped off somewhat of late, an unbeaten run will do that (although dont forget certain posters almost obsessive criticism of Chris Martin, but now he has gone too).

It was still absurd after a handful of games, likewise suggestions we didnt deserve to beat Hull, nevermind beat them 5-0. The criticism of Mel for offering a free season ticket  if we got promoted and so on.

The negative knee jerk posts will be back as soon as we lose a game (which we will).

Not much to take away from yesterday other than the comfortable three points.

Jerome looks like exactly what we needed. He’s still got enough pace to trouble defences, he’s got great physicality and he took his one real chance. Didn’t really get any balls into the box for him but looking forward to him smashing in a couple of headers, something we haven’t really had.

He can get into the positions Nugent does, but he holds the ball up better than Nuge. Really happy with this signing now, pencil him in as starter.

Lawrence is struggling to produce and playing on the right only makes it worse. Doesn’t have the pace to stretch the field down the right but doesn’t have the option to cut in onto his stringer foot. I guess the idea was to have him putting inndecent balls for Jerome but he doesn’t really achieve anything there.

No surprise that he looked better when on the left, had a strong shot on target and played the pass in for Winnall to win the penalty. The less said about his free-kicks the better. Just get someone else on them if we’re going to shoot, his delivery if he’s crossing or taking a corner is fine.

Vydra was excellent and intense, no surprise. Keogh and Davies solid. Carson still imperious. Olsson an improvement when we’re attacking at home, defo gets the start next week in my eyes.

Decent performance from Anya, makes you wonder what it was Rowett didn’t like about him that made him freeze him out to the point that Thomas was on the bench ahead of him. Interesting to see who starts out of him and Weimann next week.

This win could become underrated but we needed a good home performance with a few goals after not scoring too much recently. Jerome getting off the mark in his first start is a really good sign.

14 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The time we stop constructively criticising is the time to shut down this place, there won't be any need for a platform to engage with others who have differing opinions. You'd think there were calls for Rowett's head after that initial post. 

Personally I don't see a lot of constructive criticism going on in many of these comments

How is starting a thread called "what is the point of tom lawrence ?" in any way constructive ? 

And many comments are overwhelmingly negative. 

Such as  stating that "all Sam Winnall did when he came on was to win a penalty". Constructive ? Hardly.

Its one thing saying that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Its quite another to say if that opinion is to be respected or deserves to be listened to. There is often very little attempt at open debate. And the opinions being expressed are rarely supported by logical reason which does deserve to be heard, even if you disagree. 

In my view, this is a fantastically organised and managed site, but a significant number  of voices being raised on it project a very negative and critical view of both themselves and of their take on life at Derby County which frankly I find depressing and pretty bewildering to be honest. 

The idea that many people think it ok to instantly and publicly criticise clearly well qualified and talented individuals who are trying to do their job as best as they can  when, if that were to happen to themselves or to their family in their own workplaces, they would find it repugnant, I find very strange. It is absolutely known and accepted  that openly and repeatedly criticising individuals does not lead to an improvement in their performance. And yet a significant number of  people on this site  seem to do it.

Thankfully there are also a good many posters who are positive and constructive. But, as ever, its often the loudest and most extreme voices that get heard .

Regarding the match.   I wasn't there but looking at the highlights we seemed to be playing at such an easy pace it almost seemed like a practice match. Are we really that good that we still have a couple of gears to go up? 

Also as some have said it's very strange that promotion fever hasn't gripped the people of Derby yet. Mel and Gary must be puzzled.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

1 hour ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Something that makes the season all the sweeter is that it was kickstarted by the gumps! We were below them at the time: https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2017/oct/15/derby-v-nottingham-forest-championship-live

Then Matej Vydra scored after 24 seconds and we haven't looked back.

17 minutes ago, BobbyD said:

Personally I don't see a lot of constructive criticism going on in many of these comments

How is starting a thread called "what is the point of tom lawrence ?" in any way constructive ? 

And many comments are overwhelmingly negative. 

Such as  stating that "all Sam Winnall did when he came on was to win a penalty". Constructive ? Hardly.

Its one thing saying that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Its quite another to say if that opinion is to be respected or deserves to be listened to. There is often very little attempt at open debate. And the opinions being expressed are rarely supported by logical reason which does deserve to be heard, even if you disagree. 

In my view, this is a fantastically organised and managed site, but a significant number  of voices being raised on it project a very negative and critical view of both themselves and of their take on life at Derby County which frankly I find depressing and pretty bewildering to be honest. 

The idea that many people think it ok to instantly and publicly criticise clearly well qualified and talented individuals who are trying to do their job as best as they can  when, if that were to happen to themselves or to their family in their own workplaces, they would find it repugnant, I find very strange. It is absolutely known and accepted  that openly and repeatedly criticising individuals does not lead to an improvement in their performance. And yet a significant number of  people on this site  seem to do it.

Thankfully there are also a good many posters who are positive and constructive. But, as ever, its often the loudest and most extreme voices that get heard .

There's plenty in this thread alone that are critical yet balanced. That's surely what we're on about, not another over the top thread from months ago? Did that thread not spark a decent debate despite it's ridiculous opening post? 

Surely stating that "all Sam Winnall did was win a penalty" isn't far from the truth? Constructive or not. Why fabricate it? Same with the Lawrence stuff. People are frustrated and calling him out for his mistakes which he is making over and over. He will come good I'm sure, but he's hardly getting death threats on here. 

You've got your own beliefs and opinions which you clearly state but why should people who have polar ones not be taken just as serious? Just because you disagree with them? We're second and doing a fine job but that doesn't make everybody untouchable, criticism free. There's loads of genuine posters who are picking bits here and there and putting decent thoughts forward, they're not being overly negative. Forget the odd over the top post, nobody takes them seriously. 

Archived