Being ultra positive

Chester40

If you were confident we will finish top 2...(ala Wolves) and were planning for next season already..

Who do you think would be able to play in a team that could survive in the Premier League??

I think... Carson, Wisdom, Vydra, Lawrence, Keogh, Thorne, Ledley? 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say 3rd, love to finish top two but some strong teams in there. That said think we have good strength in depth.

Would like a bryson type player if we could but happy to just trim the squad a little.

It's been an inconsistent season for many this year, other than Boro I don't really see anyone capable of really disrupting the current top 6. I wouldn't give up a chance of grabbing 2nd place for a guaranteed top 6 place no. If we were to fall out of it now we are not ready to be challenging and likely to be dumped out of the 3 game battle.

i am greedy, i expect second place and yes it is realistic and yes it is important to set high standards and goals in order to achieve them and yes i have developed an intense playoff phobia

A few out and one or two good enough for the PL in this transfer window would be nice

If we are going to have a proper cracking at being a Premier League team, the sooner the better.

Every year that goes past without us getting promoted is a year that 3 other teams are getting a slice of the Premier League pie and potentially putting us at a huge disadvantage.

I'm also quite wary of 'second season' syndrome. 

We've hit second spot without really raising any eyebrows, mainly due to a pretty average start.

For the second half of the season we are a sitting duck. No team will realistically believe they can catch Wolves, so the 6 or 7 teams directly below us will all be gunning for us.

If we fail to go up this season there is no chance we will be sneaking under the radar next season.

At the start of the season i thought we'd finish 10th-6th ish. So anywhere in top six is a good season imo, eventhough many will be angry when we finish there and don't go up (wrongly). 

Regarding the other question, i think Carson, Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Thorne, Lawrence and Vydra could all be maintained and consistently started in the prem (with perhaps Keogh and Davies sharing a 2nd spot to a new CB). I'd keep Weimann, Ledley, Huddlestone and Baird about the squad.

11 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

If you were confident we will finish top 2...(ala Wolves) and were planning for next season already..

Who do you think would be able to play in a team that could survive in the Premier League??

I think... Carson, Wisdom, Vydra, Lawrence, Keogh, Thorne, Ledley? 

Good question and it would depend on the quality of the other players in that team. Any of the players could survive if they were playing for Man City :-)

The players you name all seem good enough to me but would need some other brilliant players alongside them for us to stay up. Huddlestone and Davis both got relegated with Hull recently. So are they not good enough or was it down to Hull's other players not being good enough?

Gary hasn't been a manager that long for us to really know his style and typical types of signings, but i don't think he'd be the type who'd just buy the bang average merry go round player for £20m, as a lot tend to. 

It would be great if Gary could coach and motivate our team to largely stay the same and just add the odd bit of quality like Bournemouth and Burnley etc. And then build from there.

I still think we’re play offs, and that we’re over achieving but have a resilience and spirit that makes us tough to beat. The weight of many years following the Rams makes me look warily at Saturday, let alone the last 2 games.

We’re kidding ourselves if we think we will survive in the Premier League with the same team one year older. Carson, Keogh, Thorne, Vydra - maybe Wisdom, Lawrence. 

Having been to 21 league matches this season I'm still not really confident in us To many times we have been outplayed in midfield how many times can we get away with it Opposition having more chances than us Maybe its just me Rowett doesn't seem to alter anything but why should he with the results we're getting Hard to say were will finish two decent signings could make us top two Do nothing and finish eighth Tell you on Feb1st 

I believed we were top 4 at the beginning but we are currently second without hitting any real heights ( apart from defensively) which is impressive 

as for can they do it in the premiership well yes they can but like every player we will always be looking to improve on all of them

8 minutes ago, curb said:

Lost your full stop key? :)

Its these 'ultra positive' fans who will be first on the players backs the moment we falter, making it impossible for players to perform at their best.

Don't agree. The ones who will be moaning are those who were crying we were lucky not to lose when we beat hull 5-0

46 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Good question and it would depend on the quality of the other players in that team. Any of the players could survive if they were playing for Man City :-)

The players you name all seem good enough to me but would need some other brilliant players alongside them for us to stay up. Huddlestone and Davis both got relegated with Hull recently. So are they not good enough or was it down to Hull's other players not being good enough?

Gary hasn't been a manager that long for us to really know his style and typical types of signings, but i don't think he'd be the type who'd just buy the bang average merry go round player for £20m, as a lot tend to. 

It would be great if Gary could coach and motivate our team to largely stay the same and just add the odd bit of quality like Bournemouth and Burnley etc. And then build from there.

Yup, there's a few that as individuals could be part of PL teams, but as a collection even our better players would need good PL reinforcements.  If anything was a lesson to be learned from that season...a few PL capable players does not make a PL team.

I didn't expect top 6, but i'm pretty sure we will achieve it.

i'm less confident of achieving top 2.

I think we will finish 2nd - 4th.

i expect aston villa to mount a strong challenge for second.

we could do with achieving promotion this season because the team is pretty old.

if we go up.....

i think that most would be good enough to provide a team for the prem judging by the performance v man utd.

The trouble with the prem is that you need 40 points to survive, and ten games are a write off. So thats 40 points from 28 games which is equivalent to winning all the remaining home games.

Biggest doubts re fozzy, johnny russell, nuge, bradley and the fact that there's only one Matej Vydra.

would hate to see hughesy lining up for the opposition.

I am shocked how Gary has turned the team around so quickly. but for myself, I think we are getting better every month, also think some of our goals and passing have been different class at times, best keeper in the division, defensive solid, lighting quick on the break, and 4 great forwards to choose from at this level, so yes I deffo think we will end up in the top 2. ( my glass is always half full ).

Archived