Nugent - One Year In

TuffLuff

I’ll be the first to say he’s not been at his best recently and think I have more frustrations with him than most. But I’ll still have him down as one of Mclaren’s best signings (along with Thorne), especially considering what Wednesday ended up paying for Rhodes. He’s had a great year and been a great signing. Considering everyone’s getting concerned over Rowett, let’s have a nice thread on Nugent

Heres a nice video of him chasing a squirrel:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be honest when we were interested in signing him I was a bit annoyed because I thought he was another 'oldie' on high wages. A player who we should have signed 5-10 years ago. But I was wrong, Not only a fantastic player but a great character who looks as if he is a key part of why this group of players are looking a close-knit group now. 

NUUUUUUUUGE 

31 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

I'll be honest when we were interested in signing him I was a bit annoyed because I thought he was another 'oldie' on high wages. A player who we should have signed 5-10 years ago. But I was wrong, Not only a fantastic player but a great character who looks as if he is a key part of why this group of players are looking a close-knit group now. 

NUUUUUUUUGE 

Have to agree I was a sceptic but been pleasantly surprised could well score us important goals this season 

9 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Part of the reason for him not being at his best for me is because he plays a game or two and then is dropped.

The goals he scored recently at pride park shows just how good he is.

I actually think the opposite is true, i think the problem is he isn't rotated enough. Nearly every time we've played him in two games in quick succession he's looked burnt out in the second game. 

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

I actually think the opposite is true, i think the problem is he isn't rotated enough. Nearly every time we've played him in two games in quick succession he's looked burnt out in the second game. 

Fully agree, dare say thats how boro/leicester have used him in more recent years and got the best out of him (although waiting to be proven wrong when someone checks his appearance stats).

I was sceptical when we brought him in but he’s been a fantastic signing and still very pacy. Gives his all and has a positive influence on those playing around him. 

Can tell he really enjoys playing for us and gets a great reception whenever he’s on the pitch. 

2 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Fully agree, dare say thats how boro/leicester have used him in more recent years and got the best out of him (although waiting to be proven wrong when someone checks his appearance stats).

I think Leicester was a different case because he was a sizeable amount younger when he was regularly playing for them. Boro is probably a decent example though. 

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The football we play under Rowett relies on a very mobile hardworking frontman who can also score goals. Not many of them around but for our future going forward we need the younger version of Nuge. He's been very good for us but maybe just starting to run out of legs. 

Couldn't be more correct! The only problem is finding said younger version. No idea who could replace him... not too many out there that i am aware of anyway

Once I saw he still had some pace an acceleration, I knew he'd be a winner. 

The most none mardy forward player I think I've ever seen. Great big dose of moral improving happy pills, team cement and killer instinct every time he steps on the pitch.  

I remember that hat trick when he chased down the ball and snatched the third. Then got subbed and came on to claim the ball at the end with a grin a mile wide. 

Sure he has had some tough days when a lot of running didn't achieve much, but talk about game changers ... Nuge is very deft with the ball at his feet, can do the unpredictable. Always got a chance with him in the side. 

NUUUUUUUGE !

He has done well as I expected but he simply can’t be starting every game in the championship and to me he seems to be great every third game and it is worth remembering he was injured as soon as we put him on a pitch last January for about 6-8 weeks

I like the fact that Nugent has brought some lightheartedness to our football.

As a team we had tended to take life far too seriously but he plays with a smile and a joke, yet he is still a winner.

Enjoy the football and you're much more likely to do well.

David Nugent stats for the past year speaks volumes, he has been a excellent signing, I can remember when Wednesday bought Rhodes for 11 million,  I said to my Wednesday mate we got the best deal getting Nugent for 2.5 million off Boro, he agreed lol, Nugent and Vydra have been a great partnership this season and more is yet to come, Nugent reminds me a little bit of Paul Goddard, gives his all, very unselfish and can score a goal out of nothing.

Archived