Surprised or not surprised

archied

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

I'm surprised that this hasn't been moved into other football yet. 

Perhaps it's because it's active thread and lots see the rams relevance? 

• 1 month later...

First interview since his sacking; 

A good one from Henry Winter at The Times but again sounds like de java again to me? Blame firmly being put on the respective board and players of Swansea. Also says a few things about Mel further down and how it was hard to go from Madrid to Derby and Bayern to Swansea and work with the lesser quality of players. 

For the first time since he was sacked, the former Swansea manager opens up to Henry Winter about life in the Premier League

Henry Winter, Chief Football Writer

This has been the season of the shock managerial sacking. Eight and counting in the Premier League, starting with Frank De Boer after only four league games, then Craig Shakespeare, Ronald Koeman, Slaven Bilic, Tony Pulis, Paul Clement, Mark Hughes and Marco Silva. There are websites dedicated to the sack race, bookies have lists updated at the drop of a point, and banner headlines scream P45. Antonio Conte, head coach of the champions, Chelsea, could conceivably be next.

“It’s not easy being a manager now,” Clement reflects in his first big interview since leaving Swansea City in December. “You fatigue a lot, mentally. As well as tactics and training, and the media looking for performers in press conferences, you’re counsellor to players and dealing with chairmen and owners.

Full article: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/paul-clement-interview-swansea-had-eight-midfielders-but-no-left-back-it-was-a-headache-927vkpc0j?shareToken=a48739f7855a2b159175d11354fc3faf

I hardly think Clement's sacking was a 'shock'. And I am sorry, but you have to earn the right to work with the very best players by doing great things with the 'still very good' ones.

I don't disagree about him and Mel Morris though , too much inexperience on both sides. I think that our owner is learning from his mistakes, though. 

Not sure about Clement from this article.  

The arrogance in that interview stinks. It also backs up a lot of thoughts I had about him, too. He's just not a good manager. 

He wants a top, top job without putting in any of the graft. It's not like he has had it tough, either. The first job he had in management made him the most expensive in the respective league and equally gave him the biggest budget to spend. Once sacked from that, he walked into a Premier League job. 

I also don't like the fact that he's saying English(British) coaches have a poor reputation, again almost lauding his own achievements above everyone else. 

Fact is that he isn't even fit to wipe the piss off Rowett's shoes despite his own delusions of grandeur.

So the Reading incident basically sounds like Mel telling Clement to be like Billy. 

“Playing for the shirt”… I’d hammer any of you lot for saying that…

How can Clement try and justify his negative football when; 

A. We weren’t facing top teams?

B. His predecessor produced football light years ahead of Clementball?

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

I hardly think Clement's sacking was a 'shock'. And I am sorry, but you have to earn the right to work with the very best players by doing great things with the 'still very good' ones.

I don't disagree about him and Mel Morris though , too much inexperience on both sides. I think that our owner is learning from his mistakes, though. 

Not sure about Clement from this article.  

Having read the article after seeing your comment, I think you’re being very generous.

That interview is one he’ll regret if he intends ever getting back into management. I could understand him bagging Mel after he was sacked by us; it was a harsh decision by any measure. But Clement behaved in a dignified manner...

But, in this interview, he bags owners and players, and even seems to try to diminish his successor. He even reinforces the impression that he’s Carlo’s little man.

That’s just dumb. If he ever wants to manage again, he’ll be hoping owners have amnesia.

19 minutes ago, RamNut said:

The bottom end of the premier league is a hard place to try to develop your managerial career.

I’d say top end of the Championship is a hard place to develop a managerial career. Bottom of the Premiership is a suicidal place to try.

Trying one after the other is career ending.

32 minutes ago, angieram said:

I can sympathise with him here though. 

I’ve stated before on here that I believe managers tend to be good at one type of job. Clement’s methods may well favour the top players. Ronaldo and Bale producing the magic week in week out rather than Chrissy Martin and Tom Ince. 

The idea that managers need to work their way up may well be outdated… or I’m babbling *****. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

I can sympathise with him here though. 

I’ve stated before on here that I believe managers tend to be good at one type of job. Clement’s methods may well favour the top players. Ronaldo and Bale producing the magic week in week out rather than Chrissy Martin and Tom Ince. 

The idea that managers need to work their way up may well be outdated… or I’m babbling *****. 

Given that there are only a small handful of clubs where managing involves coaching only the very best players he is fishing in a very small pool.

Who would sack Guardiola to let him prove this to be true? 

Or maybe Clement could try varying his methods to suit his workforce? 

He's going to be out of work an awful lot in his career if what you say is true.

7 hours ago, angieram said:

Given that there are only a small handful of clubs where managing involves coaching only the very best players he is fishing in a very small pool.

Who would sack Guardiola to let him prove this to be true? 

Or maybe Clement could try varying his methods to suit his workforce? 

He's going to be out of work an awful lot in his career if what you say is true.

It applies to Guardiola as well!

Would his management be too advanced for somebody like West Brom? 

What if he wasn’t given the Barcelona job and he tried to implement his style on less technical players? 

I’m being more hypothetical than anything but… football’s a game of circumstance.

I dare say Real Madrid would be better off with Clement’s coaching right now

11 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Has there even been a bigger name dropper in football, nice guy but once things went astray here he lost ideas

Can't help agreeing with this...you do the job you are given with the tools you have. All starting to sound a bit lame now...I. could do a good job if Bale and Ronaldo were in the team. Surely the mark of a good manager is making not so great players, better. 

Even Pep with Sterling (yesterday aside) can  still do that.

The main thrust of the story seemed to be 'woe is me'... missing the main point which was he signed a player basically because he was a big name and he liked the fact Uncle Carlo was giving him a leg up to sign big name players....regardless of the fact he wasn't fit or suitable and ended up being a huge albatross around his neck cos he had to play him.

15 hours ago, plymouthram said:

I wonder how Guardiola would fare, if he was manager of Burton. He as done all his coaching at top clubs that had good squads before his arrival and with money to spend. Perhaps he should do a job swap with the Chesterfield manager and see how he gets on.

Guardiola probably wouldn't survive at any club that wasn't in a position to buy success. Not sure if he has ever managed without having a squad of world class players. 

Archived