Celtic Record

Pearson

Celtic have finally been undone and after making history in going unbeaten for 69 games were beaten 4-0 at Hearts.

The fact that they have lost so convincingly only serves to highlight, and put in to context, what a truly magnificent achievement this was. Doesn’t matter what level of football you compete in, to get a team up for it on 69 separate occasions, and remain unbeaten, only serves witness excellent management and team motivation. (And a sprinkling luck!)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair point generally, but I wouldn't have any fear of Celtic if we played them. They're a top Championship team in a League 1/League 2 division.

33 minutes ago, Pearson said:

Celtic have finally been undone and after making history in going unbeaten for 69 games were beaten 4-0 at Hearts.

The fact that they have lost so convincingly only serves to highlight, and put in to context, what a truly magnificent achievement this was. Doesn’t matter what level of football you compete in, to get a team up for it on 69 separate occasions, and remain unbeaten, only serves witness excellent management and team motivation. (And a sprinkling luck!)

Domestic games, They've been battered in Europe and could possibly compete in the Championship down here.

15 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It was an achievement. Although if perhaps a few more of the nearly games had just gone the other way, a few calls hadn't gone with the big club and so on,itd better reflect how Celtic actually performed.

Scottish football really needs rangers, Aberdeen, hearts and hibs to up their game.

<sigh>

This ^

Perhaps is a fair achievement but as others have said, given their record in Europe against better teams, it puts perspective into it.

They have had no competition for years, until one of the other “big” (tries not to laugh) teams steps up consistently, then it takes the gloss of any record breaking. Rangers would be worthy adversaries but financial matters and demotion put paid to that for a good few years.

For the future, at best it’s two championship teams playing in division one. Right now it’s like Man City playing in League one and I doubt Hearts would put 4 past them.

It's a record for them to be proud of, irrespective of the competition. 

I like all the "pub league" comments......its pretty condescending considering the size of the country and tv money available to the clubs. 

All clubs are trying to live within their means and promote youngsters through the first team. Apart from Rangers, the majority of the teams in the top league have no debt. 

Hearts 1st scorer today was 16 years old, imagine if a Derby lad did that against Man City. 

Where are Celtic compared to the English clubs? Last season they played an English club in the champions league amd they managed 2 draws v Man City. 

If both Celtic and Rangers didn't have a section of support that appear to be more concerned with political and religious issues than the football, I'm sure achievements such as this would be more respected.

69 unbeaten domestic run is an incredible achievement, forget the IRA chants, forget the sideshow in the stands, this is about the players on the pitch that have set a record that should be applauded.

Pub football it's not, I would love to see a cup which sees Scottish and English League sides compete so this argument can be put to bed. 

26 minutes ago, David said:

If both Celtic and Rangers didn't have a section of support that appear to be more concerned with political and religious issues than the football, I'm sure achievements such as this would be more respected.

69 unbeaten domestic run is an incredible achievement, forget the IRA chants, forget the sideshow in the stands, this is about the players on the pitch that have set a record that should be applauded.

Pub football it's not, I would love to see a cup which sees Scottish and English League sides compete so this argument can be put to bed. 

Celtic (or anyone else from the SPL) would get demolished by the first decent Premier league team they faced.

12 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Celtic (or anyone else from the SPL) would get demolished by the first decent Premier league team they faced.

They probably would given their Champions League record on a one off game, although it's not like they have never beaten a top club. But I would put money on Aberdeen v Ipswich being an evenly matched game, as would Rangers v Forest.

The quality drops off a cliff outside the top 5 and you're looking maybe League 1 level then but as I say there are SPL teams that would give Championship clubs a run for their money. 

9 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Thing is, if Celtic and Rangers had the same TV deal as teams in the Prem had, they'd probably break into the top 4 within 5 seasons. Massive clubs in terms of fanbase and if they could offer the money and competition the Prem clubs could they'd be a threat.

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as top 4, but they would be able to become competitive in the PL I've no doubt. But of course, it's funnier to laugh at how on a midtable championship budget Celtic have perhaps an upper championship side...look at em..lol...being humped by PSG etc...

I think they'll win the league this season. It's going to be tough because there's so many genuine rivals. To go through the likes of Ross County and Hamilton to the record is impressive considering the tight budget in comparison to the league big spenders like Hibernian.

23 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I think they'll win the league this season. It's going to be tough because there's so many genuine rivals. To go through the likes of Ross County and Hamilton to the record is impressive considering the tight budget in comparison to the league big spenders like Hibernian.

How do you see La Liga and Bundesliga going this year? :whistle:

3 hours ago, David said:

How do you see La Liga and Bundesliga going this year? :whistle:

Since 1985 the SPL has been a 2 horse race. Like Kevin Bridges said "we've now lost a horse"

I don't think either of the other two even stretch back to the early noughties for 3 different winners do they? 

69 games without losing? Great achievement or just really really crap competition? 

Celtic are good enough to make the Champions League. There domestic opponents are not even good enough to make the Europa league.

Aberdeen and Rangers were knocked out in qualifying by some Albanian pop groups

2 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Since 1985 the SPL has been a 2 horse race. Like Kevin Bridges said "we've now lost a horse"

I don't think either of the other two even stretch back to the early noughties for 3 different winners do they? 

69 games without losing? Great achievement or just really really crap competition? 

Celtic are good enough to make the Champions League. There domestic opponents are not even good enough to make the Europa league.

Aberdeen and Rangers were knocked out in qualifying by some Albanian pop groups

You live in the past :p 

Archived