Celtic Record

Pearson

Celtic and Rangers are behind only Man Utd in terms of UK fanbase. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City et al would not be even close. Even worldwide, with the Irish and Scottish descendants dotted around the globe, they would compete with all but Man Utd and probably Liverpool. The potential is huge but they are held back by lack of competition and bigoted fans on both sides. Take the bigots out of the equation, and the Premier League would be a much more competitive league if they were allowed in, once they were established.

If you judge them by their current squads, Celtic are low-end Premier League at best and Rangers are low-end Championship.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Celtic and Rangers are behind only Man Utd in terms of UK fanbase. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City et al would not be even close. Even worldwide, with the Irish and Scottish descendants dotted around the globe, they would compete with all but Man Utd and probably Liverpool. The potential is huge but they are held back by lack of competition and bigoted fans on both sides. Take the bigots out of the equation, and the Premier League would be a much more competitive league if they were allowed in, once they were established.

If you judge them by their current squads, Celtic are low-end Premier League at best and Rangers are low-end Championship.

Hull are bigger than Rangers and Crystal Palace bigger than Celtic (based on worldwide twitter followers).

Celtic would survive in the premiershite just because their following would allow them to attract big players, but with their current squad they would be scrambling around trying to get into the mix for the last play off place but the championship. 

To put it another way, if Derby were in the Scottish League we would be top of the league by a mile. 

46 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hull are bigger than Rangers and Crystal Palace bigger than Celtic (based on worldwide twitter followers).

It's the potential fan base they have that marks them out. SPL is not competitive and the result of games is almost inevitable so there is little interest at the moment. I liken it to English cricket or rugby. When we are winning and it's interesting, everybody loves it and is a huge fan. We can turn that off in an instant when we are getting beat (e.g. now in the Ashes), and nobody is that bothered.

I've seen Celtic take 15k to a friendly against English clubs. I think Ted McMinn's testimonial is still our biggest attendance at Pride Park and it looked about 50% Rangers to me.

There are similar clubs throughout Europe in smaller leagues such as Holland, Portugal, Greece etc that are much bigger than 60% of the Premier League teams.

Not that I would let Celtic/Rangers into English football. Their fans are likely to court trouble.

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

La Liga, League un, Scottish, Bundesliga and premiershite are all over already... the championship is where it is at.!! 

Guessing you’ll want to see us lose a few more games then, drop out the top 6 to stay down?

Just now, MuespachRam said:

I honestly wouldn't be bothered if we stayed where we were....having said that....

So you wouldn’t be bothered if we go on a losing run after Christmas, take away any chance of promotion?

Or are you into that Wembley heartbreak feeling?

Just now, David said:

So you wouldn’t be bothered if we go on a losing run after Christmas, take away any chance of promotion?

Or are you into that Wembley heartbreak feeling?

I don't want to be part of the whole premiershite thing I have to be honest, I don't want to see us play Burnely away on "Super Sunday" or Palace at home on "Monday night football" etc etc....but having said that I would be more than ok if we never ever had to play that bunch of scrubbers from down the A52 either.

1 minute ago, MuespachRam said:

I don't want to be part of the whole premiershite thing I have to be honest, I don't want to see us play Burnely away on "Super Sunday" or Palace at home on "Monday night football" etc etc....but having said that I would be more than ok if we never ever had to play that bunch of scrubbers from down the A52 either.

Yet you’re Billy Davies biggest fan for taking us up to the Prem?

5 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

but I definitely don't want to lose at Wembley again......

Let’s hope for a Millwall win on Saturday then, hopefully will set us up for a November away trip to Scunthorpe on a Tuesday night next season

21 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I wouldn't necessarily go as far as top 4, but they would be able to become competitive in the PL I've no doubt. But of course, it's funnier to laugh at how on a midtable championship budget Celtic have perhaps an upper championship side...look at em..lol...being humped by PSG etc...

You may laugh.

But take a look at the facts. Rogers is adamant he is going to mirror the songs and play the "Celtic Way" irrespective of the opposition.A big mistake in my opinion and its the only thing I would be critical of Rogers on. You cant play expansive football against the likes of PSG and Bayren and not expect to get a thumping along the way.

In saying that they have turned over Anderlecht 3-0 away and were unlucky not to turn over Bayren at Parkhead being classified as the better side on the night by the neutrals.

Had Rogers parked the bus at PSG and Bayren I'll wager that smirk might not be on your face, but that's not the "Celtic Way"

Just now, Pearson said:

You may laugh.

But take a look at the facts. Rogers is adamant he is going to mirror the songs and play the "Celtic Way" irrespective of the opposition.A big mistake in my opinion and its the only thing I would be critical of Rogers on. You cant play expansive football against the likes of PSG and Bayren and not expect to get a thumping along the way.

In saying that they have turned over Anderlecht 3-0 away and were unlucky not to turn over Bayren at Parkhead being classified as the better side on the night by the neutrals.

Had Rogers parked the bus at PSG and Bayren I'll wager that smirk might not be on your face, but that's not the "Celtic Way"

I think you misunderstood me, its not me who's laughing a Celtic/Scottish football. I was more sighing at those who do extract the urine when Celtic on the revenue they generate in the SPFL cant compete at the top table in the CL.

22 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think you misunderstood me, its not me who's laughing a Celtic/Scottish football. I was more sighing at those who do extract the urine when Celtic on the revenue they generate in the SPFL cant compete at the top table in the CL.

My apologies Sir .Misinterpretation.. Note to read and absorb in the future.

Hail! Hail!

1 hour ago, Pearson said:

My apologies Sir .Misinterpretation.. Note to read and absorb in the future.

Hail! Hail!

To be fair, you.made valid points about being pragmatic against CL teams, but i live in Glasgow and i don't like the crass belittling of Scottish football either. It means a lot to folks even if the money isn't there.

• 1 month later...

Archived