Middlesbrough v Derby County match day thread.

B4ev6is

15 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I was expecting loss... But TBH Boro is not that good at home.

Middlesbrough   10 5  2  3     11 9  +2    17

One of those three defeats was us, yesterday, so before that it was two defeats in nine at home (W5 D2 L2) which is not too shabby.

I thought I was being optimistic in predicting a draw. Oh me of little faith (Hangs head in shame). 

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Ninos said:

Except he basically emphasized today once again how great Nuge and Vyds are together ... he brought in Winnall ... he’s empahasised the squad will be trimmed and he’s emphasized that it’s no good having senior players idling around and not playing ... so exactly where does he see a bench player fitting in to the plan? He will be gone in Jan if there are any takers ... as will some others including Weimann Russell olsson Shacks Anya Bent and any other non definite starter we get an offer for. 

Some will go and some will come in. As you say it will depend on what offers we get. I just hope that whatever happens we are stronger at the end of the window.

14 hours ago, Derby blood said:

Looking forward to seeing this, because believe me, this will happen, for me Rowett is doing a great job, and if you can not see that, that's your opinion, and your entitled to it, but for me I can see Gary being as successful as Jim Smith was, he understands the game, has worked on our weaknesses, and I believe will get us up this season or next, he is a winner, and will not settle for second best.

FFS ,I want GR to succeed but you can't just post anything about him being a winner he's lost two play off's as a manager  and I may be wrong but didn't win anything as a player .He was at Everton when they won the cup but wasn't in the team .

As posted before nobody knows what we have in a manager yet it's too soon to tell .Great win yesterday and I am over the moon for him and everyone but as Angry Ram posted earlier people go OTT after either a win or a loss .:thumbsup: 

My honest assessment of the game as a Boro fan; Yes, you were lucky during the first half and we should have gone in ahead if it reflected the game so far. We played some pretty decent stuff and the majority of our fans thought this.

But you make your own luck often and this was proven after the restart. You came out with plenty of attacking intent, rather than content to preserve your lead which many a team visiting the Riverside and holding a 1 goal lead could be forgiven for doing. Whereas despite a doubtless half-time pep talk we came out and played like complete puddings, none moreso than Mr Ayala. He virtually handed the game to you on a plate single-handed, whereas by contrast you played a pretty decent, easy on the eye game and were justly rewarded.

Despite our general good form against you guys prior to saturday's game, I wasn't overly surprised at the result (though perhaps the score) in an about turn to Boro under AK we seem to be able to brush the lesser sides in this division aside quite easily, but come unstuck against the better teams. Whereas you're actually on a pretty good run of form right now. While it's possible, I don't think you'll finish in the autos, though I think the upper reaches of the Playoffs is most likely, and therefore home advantage in the 2nd leg of the semis.

Where we'll finish I honestly don't know. Unlike a previous poster on here hinted at, most of our fans aren't baying for Gibson's blood, he has done a lot for our club and his good reputation as a chairman is not founded on nothing. His comments of smashing the league are often taken out of context He actually said "We WANT to smash the league" as opposed to "We're GOING to smash the league" and to be fair he's certainly pit his money where his mouth is. Only a few imbeciles are actively holding Sir Steve up as the major reason we're not tearing up any trees.

The Monk however is a different matter entirely. Bearing in mind that he inherited the spine of the team (Dimi, Gibson, Ayala, Friend, Leadboots, Clayton, Downing) of the side that got us promoted last time out (granted they're about a year and a half older at this point in time) with the championship's player of 15/16 (Bamford) in the squad too AND was thrown 50 odd million to spend, he is hugely underachieving as a manager and coach. His signings have been hit and miss with Randolph, Britt, Christie and Braithwaite (once back from injury) doing largely well and Fletcher, Baker, Howson, Shotton, Johnson and Roberts being largely turds. Worse than this, he persists in benching (or even leaving out of the squad altogether) the likes of Bamford and Traore in favour of 2 or 3 good games Johnson and a largely useless Fletcher (HIS signings) and seems to have no settled gameplan whatsoever.

'The sooner we get this loser out of our club the better' is a school of thought amongst some Boro fans. And it's gathering numbers each month.

Practically nome of our fans EXPECTED to smash the league this season. We know it's a bloody hard slog to get out of due to our 7 years in it before we got promoted last time. But we did at least, given the experience in the squad AND money invested expect to be somewhere within touching distance of the top 2 at this point. And the reason we're not in most eyes is because of the gormless clown in the hotseat.

15 minutes ago, ipad1977 said:

My honest assessment of the game as a Boro fan; Yes, you were lucky during the first half and we should have gone in ahead if it reflected the game so far. We played some pretty decent stuff and the majority of our fans thought this.

But you make your own luck often and this was proven after the restart. You came out with plenty of attacking intent, rather than content to preserve your lead which many a team visiting the Riverside and holding a 1 goal lead could be forgiven for doing. Whereas despite a doubtless half-time pep talk we came out and played like complete puddings, none moreso than Mr Ayala. He virtually handed the game to you on a plate single-handed, whereas by contrast you played a pretty decent, easy on the eye game and were justly rewarded.

Despite our general good form against you guys prior to saturday's game, I wasn't overly surprised at the result (though perhaps the score) in an about turn to Boro under AK we seem to be able to brush the lesser sides in this division aside quite easily, but come unstuck against the better teams. Whereas you're actually on a pretty good run of form right now. While it's possible, I don't think you'll finish in the autos, though I think the upper reaches of the Playoffs is most likely, and therefore home advantage in the 2nd leg of the semis.

Where we'll finish I honestly don't know. Unlike a previous poster on here hinted at, most of our fans aren't baying for Gibson's blood, he has done a lot for our club and his good reputation as a chairman is not founded on nothing. His comments of smashing the league are often taken out of context He actually said "We WANT to smash the league" as opposed to "We're GOING to smash the league" and to be fair he's certainly pit his money where his mouth is. Only a few imbeciles are actively holding Sir Steve up as the major reason we're not tearing up any trees.

The Monk however is a different matter entirely. Bearing in mind that he inherited the spine of the team (Dimi, Gibson, Ayala, Friend, Leadboots, Clayton, Downing) of the side that got us promoted last time out (granted they're about a year and a half older at this point in time) with the championship's player of 15/16 (Bamford) in the squad too AND was thrown 50 odd million to spend, he is hugely underachieving as a manager and coach. His signings have been hit and miss with Randolph, Britt, Christie and Braithwaite (once back from injury) doing largely well and Fletcher, Baker, Howson, Shotton, Johnson and Roberts being largely turds. Worse than this, he persists in benching (or even leaving out of the squad altogether) the likes of Bamford and Traore in favour of 2 or 3 good games Johnson and a largely useless Fletcher (HIS signings) and seems to have no settled gameplan whatsoever.

'The sooner we get this loser out of our club the better' is a school of thought amongst some Boro fans. And it's gathering numbers each month.

Practically nome of our fans EXPECTED to smash the league this season. We know it's a bloody hard slog to get out of due to our 7 years in it before we got promoted last time. But we did at least, given the experience in the squad AND money invested expect to be somewhere within touching distance of the top 2 at this point. And the reason we're not in most eyes is because of the gormless clown in the hotseat.

Spot on summary of the game. You beat yourselves. 

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You've also said we will win the league for the last 4 seasons and we didn't.

If he keeps saying it one day it might be right.

8 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

For me boro looked unfit and not able to play at a high tempo like derby can now. I disagree that you boro fan I think derby will be in the top two.

while I think boro will outside top 10 this season.

Nah mate. Whilst it's possible I think it unlikely that those two scenarios will happen, though I can understand you getting that impression from saturday's game as we were dire in the 2nd half.

You could finish 2nd at a push, but I think 3rd or 4th is the most probable outcome. As for Boro, on paper at least we have a squad to rival Wolves or Villa, especially in depth. The problem is the prize meff responsible for managing, coaching and picking the team. IF Monk didn't improve or somehow stumble upon a formula for actually getting the squad to play to it's potential AND he was given to the season end then I'd agree we may finsh outside the top ten. But it's either likely he will somehow do this at some point or if we're somehow below 10th come the end of Feb when Gibbo has in all likeliness chucked another 15-20 mill at this imbecile to improve us, taking our season's spending up to the 70 mill mark, even our chairman's famous patience will run out and he will boot the gonad from the manager's seat.

Most other half decent manager's would then see that squad and know they will receive a hero's status just for doing better than the Monk which wouldn't be too hard. And once the clueless clot has gone and with the pressure off we'd rapidly rise up the table. Whilst promotion by any means may be beyond us by that point it's therefore very unlikely we'd finish 11th or lower.

More importantly we'd also carry our excellent end of season form through to the start of next season thankfully, with a very good squad to start from, money still to spend and no prize pillock at the helm to carry. Hopefully our worst manager in the last 30 years except Strachan would be little more than a brief $hitty footnote in our history.

2 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

What's happened to Friend? I've always rated him highly when we've played you before.

Friend's form is indeed an enigma. Some would argue that it's the new instructions he's given by Monk, the fact he's a little older or the fact he's in and out of the side with no consistent back 4 like we had last time, every player in that brick wall defence of 14-16 knew each others strengths and weaknesses off by heart and could compliment them. It's most likely a combination of the three, with a few dashes of bad luck thrown in for good measure.

22 minutes ago, ipad1977 said:

Friend's form is indeed an enigma. Some would argue that it's the new instructions he's given by Monk, the fact he's a little older or the fact he's in and out of the side with no consistent back 4 like we had last time, every player in that brick wall defence of 14-16 knew each others strengths and weaknesses off by heart and could compliment them. It's most likely a combination of the three, with a few dashes of bad luck thrown in for good measure.

Stick around on here long enough and someone will blame his lack of form on Cyrus playing on the other side.

seriously I saw people blaming our left backs form on the fact that Cyrus got forward too much compared to Baird and wisdom and as a result Forsythe had to stop bombing on and getting crosses in.

Archived