Middlesbrough v Derby County match day thread.

B4ev6is

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

I wouldn't worry. Some posters think they know what Rowett thinks about individual players- they don't, it's more what they would do if they were in charge. I've not seen any interview given by Rowett to suggest Martin doesn't fit into his plans - if anything it's been the exact opposite.

Except he basically emphasized today once again how great Nuge and Vyds are together ... he brought in Winnall ... he’s empahasised the squad will be trimmed and he’s emphasized that it’s no good having senior players idling around and not playing ... so exactly where does he see a bench player fitting in to the plan? He will be gone in Jan if there are any takers ... as will some others including Weimann Russell olsson Shacks Anya Bent and any other non definite starter we get an offer for. 

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It's made even more impressive given that he's only had one transfer window to try and sort out the mess of the squad he inherited. He had a mixture of players who didn't suit the same style, and although we won games through the quality of the players in the squad, as a unit we were never going to amount to anything because we just didn't fit as a team.

This squad still needs a lot of work. I believe he was almost forced to sell our better players, because those are the only ones that other teams would want. We have the opportunity to create an even more cohesive bunch of players in January, particularly another CM, regardless of Ledley staying or not, and another winger. I'm unsure whether we will have the opportunity to go up this season, but I think whatever happens we'll end it in a pretty good position to go forward with some form of success.

Great post And Thorne had to have impressed him today. If we lose Ledley in Jan (Sunderland seem to be after him?) then he had to see that GT could be as good if not better an option. 

14 minutes ago, Kernow said:

It's made even more impressive given that he's only had one transfer window to try and sort out the mess of the squad he inherited. He had a mixture of players who didn't suit the same style, and although we won games through the quality of the players in the squad, as a unit we were never going to amount to anything because we just didn't fit as a team.

This squad still needs a lot of work. I believe he was almost forced to sell our better players, because those are the only ones that other teams would want. We have the opportunity to create an even more cohesive bunch of players in January, particularly another CM, regardless of Ledley staying or not, and another winger. I'm unsure whether we will have the opportunity to go up this season, but I think whatever happens we'll end it in a pretty good position to go forward with some form of success.

Success this season just makes next season all the more exciting. 

All those players out of contract, all that Uncle Mel backing and a firm base to build off. If you remember 14/15, that summer was exciting because we KNEW what system we played, what sort of players we needed and in what positions.

We haven't had that once since. This is what stability feels like, we're good now and we have the opportunity to get better.

Blimey, just read this lot and all a bit OTT in my opinion. Great result, without a doubt.. Horrible place to go.

Performance.. Let’s have it right, we were lucky to be winning at half time, we were very much second best all over. Great goal and some good keeping.

Second half was over after the pen. Stupid penalty to give away. The 3rd was well taken despite the keeper error. Played against the 10 men well though. 

Still miles from the finished article.. Enjoy your curry’s and beers.

49 minutes ago, Derby blood said:

where are all the negative Rowett posters now.

I’m still here. I was quick to acknowledge today’s result and the manager’s part in it, (posted within a few minutes of full time) however I am mindful today’s result came off the back of a loss at home to Reading and two of the worst first half displays (Fulham &QPR) we’ve put in ever so I think my reservations on Rowett are justified. And there have been others prior to that.

Look, if it makes you happy, should Rowett get us promoted and keep us up there for one season, I’ll wear a sandwich board with I am Pearl Ram, I doubted Rowett, I was wrong and walk the length of St Peters Street, can’t say fairer than that. 

Just now, Ninos said:

Great post And Thorne had to have impressed him today. If we lose Ledley in Jan (Sunderland seem to be after him?) then he had to see that GT could be as good if not better an option. 

If we don't get Ledley, I'd want a Kieftenbeld type. There's a reason we went after Kieftenbeld and not Ledley initially, we'll get the best out of Huddlestone and Thorne with a more energetic DM there to do dirty work for them.

Let Thorne/Hudds dictate play, have someone do the running and closing down because it's not either of their strength.

2 minutes ago, Pearl Ram said:

I’m still here. I was quick to acknowledge today’s result and the manager’s part in it, (posted within a few minutes of full time) however I am mindful today’s result came off the back of a loss at home to Reading and two of the worst first half displays (Fulham &QPR) we’ve put in ever so I think my reservations on Rowett are justified. And there have been others prior to that.

Look, if it makes you happy, should Rowett get us promoted and keep us up there for one season, I’ll wear a sandwich board with I am Pearl Ram, I doubted Rowett, I was wrong and walk the length of St Peters Street, can’t say fairer than that. 

Looking forward to seeing this, because believe me, this will happen, for me Rowett is doing a great job, and if you can not see that, that's your opinion, and your entitled to it, but for me I can see Gary being as successful as Jim Smith was, he understands the game, has worked on our weaknesses, and I believe will get us up this season or next, he is a winner, and will not settle for second best.

2 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

If we don't get Ledley, I'd want a Kieftenbeld type. There's a reason we went after Kieftenbeld and not Ledley initially, we'll get the best out of Huddlestone and Thorne with a more energetic DM there to do dirty work for them.

Let Thorne/Hudds dictate play, have someone do the running and closing down because it's not either of their strength.

No more mediocre hard ass midfielders please. Thorne was closing down like a damn beast today ... then he wins it and creates ... damn rock star that guy ... I’m good with him in there plus Johnson will be back in the mix soon and we all know Gary adores bfv .. it’s a hughes Thomas Elsnik type who can run that we need to put in ... Jan should be almost exclusively departures apart from one creative mid and a flash Spanish winger or something ...

Following the game surreptitiously at work via the sky sports news app was as entertaining as it was unexpected today.

Just seen the goals on 5 plus Carson save at 0-0. Some really good moments and a great first goal from matej. 

I still see our game as being high risk inasmuch as we seem to set up not to concede early and if we do - as against reading - then the gameplan unravels quickly.

GRs post match interview interesting as he was praising decision making and game management. Two areas we've been questionable at in recent years. 

1 minute ago, Derby blood said:

Looking forward to seeing this, because believe me, this will happen, for me Rowett is doing a great job, and if you can not see that, that's your opinion, and your entitled to it, but for me I can see Gary being as successful as Jim Smith was, he understands the game, has worked on our weaknesses, and I believe will get us up this season or next, he is a winner, and will not settle for second best.

I hope you are right, genuinely, I do, I’ll stick to my reservations, what’s the worst that can happen ? Look a bit of a nob on an Internet football forum, or down St Peters Street ? I can live with that.

13 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Blimey, just read this lot and all a bit OTT in my opinion. Great result, without a doubt.. Horrible place to go.

Performance.. Let’s have it right, we were lucky to be winning at half time, we were very much second best all over. Great goal and some good keeping.

Second half was over after the pen. Stupid penalty to give away. The 3rd was well taken despite the keeper error. Played against the 10 men well though. 

Still miles from the finished article.. Enjoy your curry’s and beers.

Well i didnt see the game and i havent seen any of our other away wins. And we have played pretty rubbish at home. But this isnt a fluke is it? Weve not lost away for six games now .. cardiff brentford leeds norwich fulham boro these are hard places to go and weve won three drawn three.  

Just now, Derby blood said:

Yes,  OK. 

But he has done so at the expense of some of our previous strengths in my view. Maybe that's the way he had to do it - time will tell.

34 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

This is peak Rowett, I think we should really, really relish this victory.

Even I, a massive McClarenite, have to say this is just as sweet if not sweeter than a 5-0 demolishing of Wolves or someone similar. I think what I admire most is that it's the sort of away performance that's absolutely soul crushing for all the home fans. There won't be a single Boro fan tonight happy and that makes me extremely happy in a sadistic sense.

Reminds me of the 3-0 win he got at PP with Birmingham when we had Clement in charge. Just frustrated us the entire game, completely shithoused us and pissed off home with three points. Lovely stuff.

Im starting to believe more in him and his plan, particularly away from home. I still think we need another gear and a different type of midfielder but he's got us competing so well this year. Competing being a key word, I was excited about the man management he was going to bring to the club more than anything else and we're starting to see it now. The squad seems very together.

I wasn't quite willing to give him the entire benefit of the doubt because I have Derby manager trust issues. Now I can let him off if we're not that expansive at home and he hasn't brought in the young players I wanted because that's stuff that can come in time. Getting results like this is much harder than doing any of that, this is they stuff that promotion teams tend to have. Think this is the most satisfying away victory since a handful of great wins in 14/15 (Watford, Reading, Ipswich).

Bring on Tuesday, bring on the rest of the Rowett era. 

I agree we still need a different type if midfielder - maybe the next transfer window might see one coming in.

For me, the next 2 home games will tell us a lot more about this squad. Rowett has stiffened the team to the point where we are much more difficult to play against when we are away from home and the recent performances at Leeds, Norwich, Fulham and now Boro' looks to confirm that. However, at home, when we are expected to be more positive in an attacking sense, we have struggled, particularly in the first half of games - I'm hoping that the results in our away matches will increase the confidence to attack from the start. Given the current players available, at Pride Park I would only have Ledley protecting the back four, moving Huddlestones into a more advanced role and bridging the gap between defence and the forward players which is where we have been lacking.

3 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Yes,  OK. 

But he has done so at the expense of some of our previous strengths in my view. Maybe that's the way he had to do it - time will tell.

It's all about balance, I agree,  but 18 games in and we are getting better, and if results keep being positive, then the performances will get better, that's confidence for you, it's all about building over the season and Derby are deffo doing this, looking forward to seeing how the season unfolds, I for one can not wait.

Special mention for Craig Forsyth who was brilliant today. Was really solid defensively against Christie and their right winger whose name eludes me. Second half he even started getting forward more and more. And his passing was good today. 

If Vydra hadn't scores that hatrick, Fozzy would've been my Man of the Match.

Just now, Derby blood said:

It's all about balance, I agree,  but 18 games in and we are getting better, and if results keep being positive, then the performances will get better, that's confidence for you, it's all about building over the season and Derby are deffo doing this, looking forward to seeing how the season unfolds, I for one can not wait.

Well said fella.

Each good result gives us all more optimism. Long may that continue. 

31 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Except he basically emphasized today once again how great Nuge and Vyds are together ... he brought in Winnall ... he’s empahasised the squad will be trimmed and he’s emphasized that it’s no good having senior players idling around and not playing ... so exactly where does he see a bench player fitting in to the plan? He will be gone in Jan if there are any takers ... as will some others including Weimann Russell olsson Shacks Anya Bent and any other non definite starter we get an offer for. 

So you say.......again. Your constant digs at Martin are tedious. If he goes, he goes and I'm ok with that but if you think you know what Rowett is thinking then you are clearly deluded.

11 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Well i didnt see the game and i havent seen any of our other away wins. And we have played pretty rubbish at home. But this isnt a fluke is it? Weve not lost away for six games now .. cardiff brentford leeds norwich fulham boro these are hard places to go and weve won three drawn three.  

No great result and deserved over 90 mins.. From reading the posts on here we were like Brazil.. Nope. Boro beat themselves really but typical overboard reactions.

We can win it, dare to believe etc etc.

12 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Yes,  OK. 

Yes i agree.. time wil tell. I guess if we succeed it wil be because we went backwards in order to go forwards. Would still like to have Hughes though.. was it really necessary to give him away?. 

Archived