Poppies

Angry Ram

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would it be better form to nick a poppy and wear it with pride, or make a large donation and not wear one?

Funny you should say that ,I bought a metal one last year fom the Legion shop in Derby so felt guilty about putting it on this year .So I put a donation in a box in town   and didn't take a poppy.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

Funny you should say that ,I bought a metal one last year fom the Legion shop in Derby so felt guilty about putting it on this year .So I put a donation in a box in town   and didn't take a poppy.

Bought my metal poppy more than ten years ago.  Drop a donation into the first collection box in see in my local supermarket every year since then.

Didn't know whether to post here or in the stuff that annoys me thread.

Can't abide the idiots that want white poppies, as they claim red poppies are glorifying war. They are just a bunch of d********, who I want to get hold of by the throat and give them a good kicking.

Just now, 1of4 said:

Can't abide the idiots that want white poppies, as they claim red poppies are glorifying war. They are just a bunch of d********, who I want to get hold of by the throat and give them a good kicking.

I saw something on GMTV about it but the sound was off so didn't really know what it was about...so what does a white poppy stand for?

2 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I saw something on GMTV about it but the sound was off so didn't really know what it was about...so what does a white poppy stand for?

Think its supposed to symbolise and promote peace but I tuned out to what the person was saying after listening to the drivel being spoken.

16 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

It stands for peace, but who seriously doesn't want that?

I don't care if people wear them or not, they just need to think about why they are doing what they do.

The money raised from the sales of the red poppy does a hell of a lot of good for loads of people, whereas the money raised from the sale of the white poppy just goes to make more white poppies.

9 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Think its supposed to symbolise and promote peace but I tuned out to what the person was saying after listening to the drivel being spoken.

I thought that was what poppies did anyway, some idiot probably who thinks cause they are red it means it glorifies war. Some people want to get proper jobs rather than earn a living protesting about anything they can think of.

I never wear a poppy, I end up losing them or destroying either my clothes or the poppy, which seems disrespectful. 

Always chuck a few quid in the collection tins though, no one else other than the Legion is going to look after ex servicemen, after all.

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Thought this was an interesting article on this subject

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/09/no-more-remembrance-days-consign-20th-century-history

Worth a read, even if you think the Guardian is far left, liberal commie rubbish. The guy who wrote it usually has a unique take on matters that aren't easily pigeon-holed.

Its an interesting read, and maybe sometime down the line he will have a point, but today there are probably still quite a few veterans of WW2 still alive, many of those will have wtinessed friends and comrades killed in action. Then there are spouses, sons and daughters of those that served and were killed that will still be alive.

I think its sometime before we should decide to try and forget what happened.

I heard an interesting point of views fee months ago on radio 5 live. It was pointing out the change in the relevance of the poppy and what it stands for.

In its early form the red poppy was a symbol for peace, almost a pacifist icon. Watching a generation die needlessly must have a dramatic impact, and it really was a statement, never again, no more young men dying. An end to war.

I can't say I feel that message today. More a message of duty, responsibility and serving the country with the ultimate sacrifice. I don't think either red or white poppy are out of place. 

I think it should be removed from international sporting events though. It means nothing outside of the UK and should be a personal thing. Orchestrating clubs to do something means it is no longer a personal choice. Let people remember in their own way.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

today there are probably still quite a few veterans of WW2 still alive,

Sadly not that many - a 16 year old conscripted in 1939 would 94 now!

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/875644/ww2-veterans-battle-of-britain-heroes-RAF-heroes-dying-BBFA

This article reckons Battle Of Britain vets are now down to single figures :(

21 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Would it be better form to nick a poppy and wear it with pride, or make a large donation and not wear one?

The second. Can't stand people who wear the poppy as a fashion statement and don't give a toss about what it means or what the rbl are actually doing. I think it should be protected and people should be prosecuted for selling merchandise with the poppy on if there's no cash going to RBL. Would stop the far right and others from funding themselves and changing what it means.

"Wearing a poppy with pride" is an odd concept to me. It's all about wearing one to respect those and their families who paid a sacrifice or lost to the horror of war and making a donation to a charity giving support to those suffering.

On 08/11/2017 at 18:32, 1of4 said:

The white poppy kind of world view is one we can afford in this country because of the blokes who paid the ultimate price.

Archived