Reasons I love being a Rams Fan

Curtains

3 hours ago, WharfedaleRam said:

With my north east accent, anyone I tell who I support always says 'Who???', followed by 'Why??.' I then have the great pleasure of telling them I was a Clough child!!!!!

Polar opposite here - the South West version

My first visit to Baseball Ground had a long walk to the ground with some Rams fans who showed me in the direction of the away fans - they assumed as it was the  Swindon match I was following them.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without boring you with the detail, a pure twist of fate led me to supporting the Rams around 68/69 even though then, and still to this day, l have never lived any closer than 100 miles away from the ground.  

I consider myself blessed. Yes, at times, l have watched a great pile of s****, but at different times, in different divisions, we have had some great teams who have brought me enormous pleasure.  Having the bad times make you appreciate the good times, and l have never thought I wish l had picked a ‘big club’ back then. Even now when l talk to new people about my allegiances l get a great deal of pride speaking about my team.  Still hoping one day, before l head for the big grandstand that l will see the mighty Rams in an FA Cup Final at Wembley.  That would be icing on the cake. Might even go :ph34r:

King George V Park Carlisle Avenue to the Baseball Ground to watch the likes of Geoff Barrowcliffe and Reg Matthews and Jack Parry soon got me hooked on DCFC . Saturday was a great day for me only bettered by playing myself for the school team and then later in the Taverners League. 

Remember the gate at the top of the  Pop Side segregating fans. 

I was a Liverpool fan until I was 8. My Dad implored me to follow the rams - with a fair bit of bribery involved as I recall. I never looked back, and have gone through exactly the same process with my son - who stopped following Liverpool at the age of 7 - now 16.

I put it down to fathers thinking - I’ve suffered - so my son should too!

Once a Ram, always a Ram.

I must admit, I do like to hear a different accent around me when I watch the rams, don’t tell @Angry Ram but I’ve heard a few cockneys or mockneys recently and to be honest with all the teams available down in the smoke to follow they choose the Rams.

Same with the other areas not local, I understand that some move away and still come and that’s great. I know it’s the norm for the top Prem sides to have supporters from all over, but it makes me feel all warm inside that people have picked us to follow.

Dont tell anyone though, cause they’re all supposed to be plastic fans init ??

Archived