Extend Joe Ledley’s Contract Please.

Coneheadjohn

Poll worthy  

164 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, rammieib said:

Please lets not suggest Thorne in an advanced role.

The guy is slow and cumbersome. He won't get into the box and won't run with the ball. A 25 minute cameo when someone with experience, knowledge and good positional sense was the perfect role for him yesterday, coupled with being 2 goals up thus the onus was on Forest to push men forward (Which they did).

I love Thorne but he must be in a sitting position. Also - as a team who won't be possession based, he can't hold that that defensive role on his own. Under Mac the style of football was different and with two runners either side of him, it suited his style more.

We won't be seeing Huddlestone and Thorne play together from the beginning in my opinion.

Do you think Ledley is more mobile than a) Thorne as he is now and b) a fully fit Thorne

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it is beyond us to secure him until the end of the season. Nobody else seemed in a rush to take him on, we have given him a platform to get fit, stay fit and play regular football for a good club. He doesn't owe us anything but I think he could be convinced to see it through until the end of the season with us at which point both parties can move on having benefit from the arrangement.

22 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I don't think it is beyond us to secure him until the end of the season. Nobody else seemed in a rush to take him on, we have given him a platform to get fit, stay fit and play regular football for a good club. He doesn't owe us anything but I think he could be convinced to see it through until the end of the season with us at which point both parties can move on having benefit from the arrangement.

We are obviously close to FFP. If we keep him it will stop signing someone else. 

14 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We don't know if that is the case. Even if it is what would be cheaper, paying one man for another six months or spending money on a transfer fee, agent fees, signing on fees and the wages of someone else?

Going by comments made about transfer deadline day that we had to loan out Bryson to buy Kieftenbeld it is pretty clear that we running close to FFP.

Ledley will be on high wages. Any transfer fee is spread over the length of the contract in FFP terms.

What is important is we have the right kind of CM player. We play 4231. Thorne. Huddlestone and Ledley all play in the 2 and are all competing for one place IMO. We need a more mobile CM playing alongside them. Some who can pass a ball as well as being mobile. So that rules out Johnson.  

We finished up playing 4321 yesterday with Thorne playing the Butterfield role,Joe Ledley could go forward to break up the attack in midfield  and Tom dropped back when needed to cover for / bolster the back four./ or swept in front of them. He started life at Derby as a CB  until he was moved forwards as DMF. I thought it worked well with good understanding even though it was the first outing..   And it stopped us playing further and further back , which is when we give late goals away.  And what a treat to see Thorne back in action.  The player who will miss out in this formation is Johnson.........unless he plays him as an attacking MF .... which is what GR seems to want to do anyway..

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Please lets not suggest Thorne in an advanced role.

The guy is slow and cumbersome. He won't get into the box and won't run with the ball. A 25 minute cameo when someone with experience, knowledge and good positional sense was the perfect role for him yesterday, coupled with being 2 goals up thus the onus was on Forest to push men forward (Which they did).

I love Thorne but he must be in a sitting position. Also - as a team who won't be possession based, he can't hold that that defensive role on his own. Under Mac the style of football was different and with two runners either side of him, it suited his style more.

We won't be seeing Huddlestone and Thorne play together from the beginning in my opinion.

I liked this post because it's intelligent and reasoned but Im not sure I totally agree.

First he's not slow and cumbersome although he seems to have added some bulk since returning but that's a temp thing. He's not out and out Vydra fast, but closing speed is second to none. So I'm warming to an advanced role and it's a question mark whether GR is thinking "let's see if he can play that role" or it was purely "stop gap / temp measure" for the forest: gave fans a boost to see him and suited the situation as you say.

As to Ledley (not yet) because the jury is still out and any extension would depend on a) his continued performance and b) where he sees Hanson and Johnson fitting in once GT returns to full action c) his demands.

I'm more interested in Thorne getting fully fit and getting a new contract as his is up at the end of the season? 

As to Ledley, he could be a great signing for the remainder of the season.

are we really up to our FFP limit as some suggest? Or are we working within a framework as stated by Mel and GR therefore we have a wage structure to work within?

On 16/10/2017 at 12:20, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Think we were linked with Ryan Woods from Brentford last week, maybe he’d fit that bill?

This would be a very effective signing but getting players cheap out of Brentford is proving to be a non starter!

I was pleased with ledley' performance on Saturday because I wasn't at all concerned if he would fit in and would he do the job correctly? - he did and we were a lot more purposeful in central midfield now in terms of signing him full time I think it will come done to wages all day long as he obviously will be looking for that from us or a premiership team or a top of the table championship side and I believe we will need to move on two or three non starters in the transfer window for that to happen which is a lot more difficult that it sounds

I hope I don't come across as moaning here. I hope I've made it really clear I want to see you go up with Rowett in charge.

I watch a lot of championship football these days and I mean a lot.

I've watched a lot of Wolves, Leeds, Villa, Boro, Hull, Fulham, Cardiff and Bristol City in particular. I'm not talking about Sheffield United or Preston or Norwich or any of the other sides above Derby right now as I haven't seen enough of them.

If Gary sticks with the five of Davies, Keogh, Ledley, Huddlestone (Thorne), Nugent (Martin), then there's not enough pace or mobility in Derby's central areas to cause those teams huge problems. You're basically relying on a bit of magic from Lawrence or Vydra, a counter attack using Johnny Russells pace to create anything. Maybe a bit of quality from Forsyth.

Those teams all press high, they've all got real pace and quality right through the middle of the park. You won't finish ahead of many of those sides unless he injects a bit of pace into the side, especially central midfield. That's why I'm struggling to see why he's let Bryson go. The lad will press high up the pitch and he'll run and run all day long, exactly the kind of player you're crying out for.

It was a really good win yesterday and there's no doubt Gary has got them looking very solid defensively but for me he's yet to find a real spark going forward and against better teams I think you're in danger of getting out played, especially for pace.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

What happened to 'young, hungry players'? Plus if we have no money why spend it on Ledley. will he have any resale value, is he really that good or is our midfield so bad?

My thinking would be till the end of the season giving time to bring in the right players,young and hungry is what we need,as has been mentioned.

Imagine if we hadn’t signed Ledley?

I’m not to keen on him going and bringing Kieftenbeld in in January either.

2 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Imagine if we hadn’t signed Ledley?

I’m not to keen on him going and bringing Kieftenbeld in in January either.

If we hadn't signed Ledley we'd have to have played a different way - didn't Gary say the 'horses for courses' bit. I'm not impressed with a midfield that relies on Huddz and Ledley, but that's just me. :)

Archived