Is being a Youtube regular viewer considered Nerdy

JG400

Considering the brave new world of Netflix , Amazon Prime etc I still find it quite amusing the reaction I get from people when I discuss Youtube channels in the same vain (i.e. as an alternative to television as opposed to the office lunch time 'have you seen this youtube it hilarious brigade ), I am a regular watcher of a number of Youtube publishers

AVGN (Angry Video Game Nerd)

Boogie2988

Nostalgia Critic

ProJared

MetalJeasusRocks

etc

and I am mystified by the reaction I get both from my generation (50+ ) but especially the young which ranges between clueless and ridicule

Am I that far ahead of the curve by being a youtube channel consumer or am I flogging a dead dinosaur

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watch it a lot, to the point where I mostly use Sky for just football and movies now!

You can find all sorts of weird and wonderful channels on youtube, for instance I just spent an hour watching 'Brave Dave' a channel I stumbled across where the guy, amongst other thing, train hops across Canada (jumps onto cargo train trucks).  Dunno why I started watching the first one, but was kinda hooked by the end :p

1 hour ago, JG400 said:

Considering the brave new world of Netflix , Amazon Prime etc I still find it quite amusing the reaction I get from people when I discuss Youtube channels in the same vain (i.e. as an alternative to television as opposed to the office lunch time 'have you seen this youtube it hilarious brigade ), I am a regular watcher of a number of Youtube publishers

Boogie2988

Nostalgia Critic

ProJared

MetalJeasusRocks

etc

and I am mystified by the reaction I get both from my generation (50+ ) but especially the young which ranges between clueless and ridicule

Am I that far ahead of the curve by being a youtube channel consumer or am I flogging a dead dinosaur

Judging by the reaction so far it's your mates that are out of sync.:thumbsup:

Would say that watching a channel entitled Angry Video Game NERD is probably nerdy, yes.

I do use "the You...Tube" but only when i'm looking for something that I know exists. Would never for example sift through all the rubbish that comes up on "suggested" or "trending" or subscribe to the weirdos who think that playing video games and shouting endless meta, post-modern phrases at the screen is a real job. Also, any video with "Hi guys" as an intro or "remember to like, subscribe and follow" or whatever the phrase is are automatically terrible.

Basically I use it to watch videos rather than use the bullsh*t social media/youtuber fan cult aspect of it that it is riddled with nowadays.

Also, bring back the star rating system.

Then again I have 1000 posts on a football forum, so what do I know about what is nerdy and what isn't?

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, Alpha said:

I watch it a lot and my missus looks at me like I'm on tinder.

You misread the title of the thread its youTUBE hes on about.

19 hours ago, JG400 said:

Boogie2988

Nostalgia Critic

ProJared

MetalJeasusRocks

etc

My 8 and 5 year olds watch gamers on youtube. I don't get it personally, why watch someone playing a game that they have and can just play it themselves?

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

My 8 and 5 year olds watch gamers on youtube. I don't get it personally, why watch someone playing a game that they have and can just play it themselves?

Same here - it's bizarre how much they enjoy watching it too. Some of the channels are just immensely annoying. Chadgamer & Dan TDM in particular. Some of it is plain scary - EvanTube HD is just some kid whose parents have become millionaires by whoring their kids out to review toys on youtube.

The only one that I find bearable is this guy called Intercity82 who is a train nerd who makes lots of very relaxing videos of himself playing with his trainset...haha

8 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Same here - it's bizarre how much they enjoy watching it too. Some of the channels are just immensely annoying. Chadgamer & Dan TDM in particular. Some of it is plain scary - EvanTube HD is just some kid whose parents have become millionaires by whoring their kids out to review toys on youtube.

The only one that I find bearable is this guy called Intercity82 who is a train nerd who makes lots of very relaxing videos of himself playing with his trainset...haha

That is the one they watch the most, along with veegeetv or some crap like that. The eldest has found an action figure of Dantdm that he wants for christmas <_<

8 minutes ago, rynny said:

That is the one they watch the most, along with veegeetv or some crap like that. The eldest has found an action figure of Dantdm that he wants for christmas <_<

Wow! That's erm..terrifying. We joke about how we should start our own youtube channel of videos of our children watching videos of other youtubers playing video games.:lol:

20 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Wow! That's erm..terrifying. We joke about how we should start our own youtube channel of videos of our children watching videos of other youtubers playing video games.:lol:

Tell me about it.

61aa9d20-a5a7-11e5-bfb6-731ad94689a5..pn

2 hours ago, rynny said:

My lads are the same

Archived