If you could make one change

MackworthRamIsGod

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rowett keeps getting stick for formation and team selection but the fact remains that if your team works harder and uses the ball better than the opposition you will most likely win.

For me, the three behind the striker are too lightweight in pressuring (perhaps why he picks Russell and Weimann) and poor in possession.  This puts additional pressure on the defensive midfield pair who are then too rushed to play the role in which they are most effective. 

When Huddlestone had time earlier in the season everyone was purring about his class. Now he's a scapegoat.

If the front four do their job in a 4-2-3-1 you're onto a winner. If not, people are calling for your head. 

If we can ally the fighting spirit from Brentford with the passing and finishing from the Hull game we're there.

Formations are an excuse not always a reason.

That Gadsby's consortium had come in a year earlier, we would probably have kept Burley as manager and not sold Huddlestone/Raziak, or at least not sold Hudds for a few quid only, built on that team that made the play offs in 2005....easy to say but promotion may have followed, no billy davies, no 11 point debacle, currently celebrating out 11th straight season in the PL, happy days.

On 29/09/2017 at 08:18, Gaspode said:

I think you're right - Rowett seems to be struggling to fit the players into the formation he wants us to play (which was what Pearson got slated for). If the players in the squad aren't suitable for 4-2-3-1, then let's try something else that plays to their strengths.

Agree with the formation 3-5-2 is the way forward with the squad we have. 

As we need to dominate games and have more constructive possession in the home fixture and swamp the opposition in away fixtures and break them down (hard and fast) when they're in possession. 

Our midfield gets overrun more often than not currently and I believe this formation would allow multiple permutations in setup utilising the same players week in week out. Which in turn without any drastic changes being applied on the field would offer a level of continuity in the starting 11 that we haven't witnessed in a very long time.

I think something like this would work

Carson

Wisdom.       Keogh.         Davies

Lawrence. Huddlestone, Thorne, Johnson, Anya

Nugent.     Vydra

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

That Gadsby's consortium had come in a year earlier, we would probably have kept Burley as manager and not sold Huddlestone/Raziak, or at least not sold Hudds for a few quid only, built on that team that made the play offs in 2005....easy to say but promotion may have followed, no billy davies, no 11 point debacle, currently celebrating out 11th straight season in the PL, happy days.

They would have had to come in half way through the play off season as Huddlestone was sold before the end of the season.

22 hours ago, McLovin said:

In that formation, you need people to stretch the game otherwise it becomes too tippy tappy. Don't think Martin is good enough at the moment so it's a toss up between Winnall and Nugent. Like you said though, Rowett is old school and doesn't seem to like to use some of these newer formations. 3 at the back is the in formation. Most of the top teams are using it because it has almost no weaknesses. The only downside I can see with this formation is our wing back getting pushed back but on the other hand is that really a weakness if we have more defenders covering? Christie would have been perfect in this formation.

The likes of Keogh would also thrive playing the David Luiz role as he can push into midfield. Likewise, Lawrence and Vydra can get in the pockets. Essentially we are only replacing Weimann if we play this formation and it's not like he has done anything?

He runs a lot!

50 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd just want us to pass the ball to.people on our side. That was the major problem on Tuesday.

It was only really the end of the match we were under that much pressure, we were pretty well drilled and solid out of possession but we were awful in how we used the ball.

Surely they can modify those sports bras to receive electric shocks.

Bigger mistake bigger shock.

You could even have a lottery and the winner gets to be judge,jury and executioner.

All money to charity.

Archived