If you could make one change

MackworthRamIsGod

If you could make any one realistic change to the team selection, formation, captaincy, signing a player out of contract, Ledleys beard, kit colour, what would it be?

Mine would be formation, I'd love to try 3-5-2, just so I know for sure if the Jim Smith team just got lucky or not. I dream of having two strikers forming a partnership...its been a while.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you're right - Rowett seems to be struggling to fit the players into the formation he wants us to play (which was what Pearson got slated for). If the players in the squad aren't suitable for 4-2-3-1, then let's try something else that plays to their strengths.

20 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

If you could make any one realistic change to the team selection, formation, captaincy, signing a player out of contract, Ledleys beard, kit colour, what would it be?

Mine would be formation, I'd love to try 3-5-2, just so I know for sure if the Jim Smith team just got lucky or not. I dream of having two strikers forming a partnership...its been a while.

A midfield 3 of Ledley, Johnson, and Huddlestone? 3 at the back and 2 defensive wide players? And everyone thought Brentford away was bad! 

That said, I miss seeing 2 men up top

22 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Me too. With the personal we have available 3/5/2 gives us the best chance to win games and also entertain 

Imagine that we knew absolutely sod all about football.  I know that is a bit of a leap for a lot of us but stick with me on this, then imagine that while knowing nothing at all about the game we were asked to pick a Derby team to play the next match.

What would you do?  Well, I guess a sensible starting point would be to say ‘Who are the best players’, to which someone would rightly say, ‘that is a matter of opinion.  So you might then say, ok, which ones are worth the most?

At which point you could go to an independent website such as https://www.transfermarkt.com and look at the top valued Derby players.

I did that, and then picked the most highly valued players in each of their positions.  This is what you get:

Vjdra     Martin     Lawrence

Johson Ledley Huddlestone

Anya Davies Keogh Wisdom

Carson

Perhaps footballl really is a simple game.

2 minutes ago, Truckle said:

Imagine that we knew absolutely sod all about football.  I know that is a bit of a leap for a lot of us but stick with me on this, then imagine that while knowing nothing at all about the game we were asked to pick a Derby team to play the next match.

What would you do?  Well, I guess a sensible starting point would be to say ‘Who are the best players’, to which someone would rightly say, ‘that is a matter of opinion.  So you might then say, ok, which ones are worth the most?

At which point you could go to an independent website such as https://www.transfermarkt.com and look at the top valued Derby players.

I did that, and then picked the most highly valued players in each of their positions.  This is what you get:

Anya Davies Keogh Wisdom

Carson

I twould be funny if Gaz saw this and picked it for Saturday .

I don't think in terms of team selection we are far away from being the best on paper in the league. Everyone of our players are now in their preferred positions too..

I'd ask Gary to think about his tactics and maybe have more of a go away from home.

With the experience we have in this side, if we go 1-0 up why can't we push for a second rather than defend until we concede?

When we are at home why can't we starve teams of the ball, get our exciting players on the ball and i'd enjoy watching us play again.

45 minutes ago, Truckle said:

Anya Davies Keogh Wisdom

Carson

Anya over Fozzy and Olsson?

no thanks.

40 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

I don't think in terms of team selection we are far away from being the best on paper in the league. Everyone of our players are now in their preferred positions too..

I'd ask Gary to think about his tactics and maybe have more of a go away from home.

With the experience we have in this side, if we go 1-0 up why can't we push for a second rather than defend until we concede?

When we are at home why can't we starve teams of the ball, get our exciting players on the ball and i'd enjoy watching us play again.

Saw the tweet from DCFC with the team selection against Brentford and I thought "f*** me, if this was any other team than Derby, they'd be guaranteed playoffs"... seeing as it's Derby though we can't play our way out of a paper bag at the moment.

When everyone's fit:

Carson

Wisdom   Keogh      Davies

Anya         Thorne  Ledley          Lowe

Lawrence Vydra

Nugent

Play that team and we will win more games than not but it will require coaching. The players individually will suit that formation but it's about a collective effort.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

When everyone's fit:

Carson

Wisdom   Keogh      Davies

Anya         Thorne  Ledley          Lowe

Lawrence Vydra

Nugent

Play that team and we will win more games than not but it will require coaching. The players individually will suit that formation but it's about a collective effort.

Agreed although I'd play Martin ahead of Nugent. Don't think Rowett would go for it though. 

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Agreed although I'd play Martin ahead of Nugent. Don't think Rowett would go for it though. 

In that formation, you need people to stretch the game otherwise it becomes too tippy tappy. Don't think Martin is good enough at the moment so it's a toss up between Winnall and Nugent. Like you said though, Rowett is old school and doesn't seem to like to use some of these newer formations. 3 at the back is the in formation. Most of the top teams are using it because it has almost no weaknesses. The only downside I can see with this formation is our wing back getting pushed back but on the other hand is that really a weakness if we have more defenders covering? Christie would have been perfect in this formation.

The likes of Keogh would also thrive playing the David Luiz role as he can push into midfield. Likewise, Lawrence and Vydra can get in the pockets. Essentially we are only replacing Weimann if we play this formation and it's not like he has done anything?

Archived