Motty to hang up the mike at 50 years

Ellafella

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41163874

Motty is planning to finish his 50th year at the BBC in 2018 by retiring.

He has been arguably the commentator (although we have been blessed with many brilliant ones) for my entire football-conscious life and it seems to be the end of an era.

Loved all over the world not only for his famous gaffes down the years ("For those of you watching in black n white, Spurs are in the all yellow strip"), I had the pleasure to meet him a couple of years ago outside PP. Although he was in a rush to get to his car for something pre-match, he took the time to talk football with me and my 2 boys. Far more urbane and articulate in real life and much less nerdy, he was an absolute pleasure to talk with for the 3 minutes and admitted to have a real soft spot for Derby County who he said are a "fabulous football Club; I always enjoy Derby County whenever I come.", despite the mauling that  BC famously once gave him. His son Fred is of course a Ram (has anybody ever met him and does he wear his dad's old sheepskins?).

Many thanks Motty for all your brilliant commentary. Have a long and happy retirement. "At 1-0 to Everton, the longer the game goes on the more you have to fancy them to win the match!" ( with trademark rising Motty intonation as if describing something totally impossible to comprehend) . :mellow:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

We got Motty, Moore et al and this generation get the annoying squeaky voiced irritant Jonathan Pearce.

We really had the best didn't we?

All the best to Motty

At least we got Guy Mowbray.

Motty is the voice of MOTD for me, having watched it since around 1997. He 'is' commentary for me, if we could have cloned the man I'd have sent him to every ground going. So many commentators are Sky Football cardboard cutouts or worse, utterly dull with it.

As much as I love Motty, I think this announcement is a couple of years late.  It's painfully obvious he can't keep up with play anymore, and has been for a while.  Still, Motty on ketamine, slurring his words, well after the final whistles blown, is infinitely more preferable to listening to Jonathan Pearce...

On 06/09/2017 at 10:22, ColonelBlimp said:

We got Motty, Moore et al and this generation get the annoying squeaky voiced irritant Jonathan Pearce.

We really had the best didn't we?

All the best to Motty

Honorable mention by name has to go to Hugh Johns. I'd sometimes watch indoor bowls just to hear him commentate.

Motty has been great to have with his Rams links over all these years. Sorry to see him go, or is he not really hanging up the microphone but rather leaving the beeb after being headhunted by Mel for RamsTV?

24 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Honorable mention by name has to go to Hugh Johns. I'd sometimes watch indoor bowls just to hear him commentate.

Motty has been great to have with his Rams links over all these years. Sorry to see him go, or is he not really hanging up the microphone but rather leaving the beeb after being headhunted by Mel for RamsTV?

I wondered this as well!

On 6 September 2017 at 09:23, Ellafella said:

Motty admitted to have a real soft spot for Derby County......despite the mauling that  BC famously once gave him.

That was when brian was at forest.....

Mr motty is a ram, he hates forest

• 5 months later...

John Motson will deliver his final live BBC commentary this weekend when Arsenal face Watford in the lunchtime kick-off on Sunday.

Motson, 72, will be in the comms box for BBC Radio 5 live 48 years after his first live radio broadcast.

He announced in September that he would call time on his BBC career at the end of the season, and he will continue to appear on Match of the Day until May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43337062

Archived