A pattern

sage

13 hours ago, Ninos said:

Loads did, saying he doesn't score etc etc etc. 

People complaining about hughes not scoring is just like when the skysports pundits claim dembele at tottenham should score more. Like hughes, its not his main job to score the goals! 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ramos said:

People complaining about hughes not scoring is just like when the skysports pundits claim dembele at tottenham should score more. Like hughes, its not his main job to score the goals! 

That Scott Carson is a good shot stopper, but he really should have scored last week when he went up front instead of letting them break away to score a third. Get rid I say :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Ramos said:

Out of interest, what did you/others consider Hughes' main role to be in the side? 

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Out of interest, what did you/others consider Hughes' main role to be in the side? 

Hughes' role was essentially to transition us into attack and then when were on the front foot to keep us there. His job was to always be available for a pass and then find somebody in a good position for them to deliver the final ball. He was the 'link' in midfield.

21 hours ago, sage said:

It amuses me that players people like to moan about are often wanted by promoted or promotion chasing teams.

Hendrick - Burnley

Hughes - Watford

Martin - Fulham last year, Wolves this year

Russell - Brighton last year

Bryson - Cardiff

Grant - Stoke 

However all those managers are idiots and all those players are rubbish. Obviously.

Sage Its nothing new every club does it We are no different when your not winning every week there always has to be scapegoats Its been Keogh then Christie Russell Weiman think the next will be Johnson There will definitely be a few disappointed Brys and Butters have gone they will have nothing to moan about 

5 hours ago, richinspain said:

That Scott Carson is a good shot stopper, but he really should have scored last week when he went up front instead of letting them break away to score a third. Get rid I say :ph34r:

He did get a good assist though ?

4 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Certainly not a goalscoring midfielder. Playmaker was always his main remit for me. Clever passes, helping to create space, and chances.  But once all elements of our passing side from 13/14 all but disappeared he struggled to make an impact in a team... which well struggled to make an impact on matches. Hughes thrives in a passing team, our slow brand of football in the last two years blunted him.

Ramos is bang on - in a passing side - Hughes role was to knit the three departments of the side together (defence, midfield, attack). In a more direct side - he would have had no role - hence he's not here anymore.

The interesting thing for me will be were lots of "nice" players more successful than a more direct (but less nice) set of players - kind of tactics v technique?

Oh - and as for upgrading the wife - the same principles apply to getting rid of players we think are no good - that other teams want. A wise man once told me - *don't keep letching at that girl - it's just a hole someone else is bored of pounding*

*I may or may not agree with this view point - but the story is true!

18 hours ago, David said:

Almost replied earlier but thought I'd wait to see what everyone else thought.

Don't see a pattern, sorry. Fans bash footballers, good and bad, some go on to better things, others not so.

If there is a pattern it's that all the while often bigger clubs than ours (league standing not gate receipts!) are eyeing up or buying these players, there's always a large and quite vocal section of the fans who see very little in the players in question. Whether, as you point out, this is unusual I'm not sure but it strikes me that the only player who has not come in for any prolonged criticism in recent times is Thorne.

11 minutes ago, 86 points said:

If there is a pattern it's that all the while often bigger clubs than ours (league standing not gate receipts!) are eyeing up or buying these players, there's always a large and quite vocal section of the fans who see very little in the players in question. Whether, as you point out, this is unusual I'm not sure but it strikes me that the only player who has not come in for any prolonged criticism in recent times is Thorne.

Wait until he plays a few more matches for us

On 01/09/2017 at 17:28, sage said:

It amuses me that players people like to moan about are often wanted by promoted or promotion chasing teams.

Hendrick - Burnley

Hughes - Watford

Martin - Fulham last year, Wolves this year

Russell - Brighton last year

Bryson - Cardiff

Grant - Stoke 

However all those managers are idiots and all those players are rubbish. Obviously.

This amuses me as well. Keogh and Hendrick are selected by Ireland with two of the harshest critics in Roy Keane and Martin O'Neill. Roy Keane isn't a stranger of publically saying how s**t a player is and keeps picking these two. Hendrick also went to Burnley and is now playing Premier League football regularly. It doesn't stop here though. Adam Smith on loan was regarded as c**p by our fans yet he is again is playing regular Premier League football. Lee Grant was a rubbish keeper but last year he was Stoke's number 1 so he must be useless (sarcasm). There are players who come to Derby and are regarded as rubbish by our fans but do very well at other clubs.

17 minutes ago, derby1884 said:

This amuses me as well. Keogh and Hendrick are selected by Ireland with two of the harshest critics in Roy Keane and Martin O'Neill. Roy Keane isn't a stranger of publically saying how s**t a player is and keeps picking these two. Hendrick also went to Burnley and is now playing Premier League football regularly. It doesn't stop here though. Adam Smith on loan was regarded as c**p by our fans yet he is again is playing regular Premier League football. Lee Grant was a rubbish keeper but last year he was Stoke's number 1 so he must be useless (sarcasm). There are players who come to Derby and are regarded as rubbish by our fans but do very well at other clubs.

That's because they play rubbish for us but are Good for other teams... See also Jason shackell and Bradley Johnson. 

Archived