Butterfield the new Hughes.

RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Too early to judge anyone. Johnson was as equally poor as Butterfield, Weimann and Fozzy didn't have good games, I laud Chris Martin regularly but even he wasn't great. Positives were Huddlestone Davies and Wisdom. Keogh had good game also. Didn't play great but could easily have won, first game of the season and a point away from home. Positive.

But 4-3-3 with Johnson and Butterfield for me isn't the right balance.

Yes absolutely, Huddlestone and Wisdom looked a cut above the rest. Martin seems to be settling nicely into semi retirement....

Can't imagine anyone banging down the door at PP to sign Butterfield, Johnson or Vydra etc.  Gary Rowett is going to be stuck with a alot of under achieving big earners for the duration. Unfortunately this will restrict his movement in the transfer market. 

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He provided nothing for Martin, he did nothing up front. He didn't do much to defend and gave away a penalty.

He looked absolutely useless, but maybe he just had a bad game.

Edit: oh and he's so slow.

Not saying he didn't have a bad game. I'm just pointing out that it's one game in, and in a game where a lot of the team could have done better, there's no need to focus on one specific player.

Just now, Kernow said:

Not saying he didn't have a bad game. I'm just pointing out that it's one game in, and in a game where a lot of the team could have done better, there's no need to focus on one specific player.

He hasn't looked much better any time soon. He isn't gonna get us promoted is he.

2 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes absolutely, Huddlestone and Wisdom looked a cut above the rest. Martin seems to be settling nicely into semi retirement....

Can't imagine anyone banging down the door at PP to sign Butterfield, Johnson or Vydra etc.  Gary Rowett is going to be stuck with a alot of under achieving big earners for the duration. Unfortunately this will restrict his movement in the transfer market. 

You must have been watching a different game to me today fella because I thought Wisdom was terrible and Vydra was our best player alongside Keogh.

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He was pretty poor tonight but many others were also poor. He plays much better when deeper in a 4-2-3-1. Don't know why we don't play him there more, he was class against Newcastle away last season there. Put him next to Huddlestone in a 2 in games where we are expected to dominate and then have Vydra behind Nugent or Martin.

Didn't we get absolutely battered at Newcastle away?

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

You must have been watching a different game to me today fella because I thought Wisdom was terrible and Vydra was our best player alongside Keogh.

Yes, you must have been watching a different game.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Its about Butterfield - you've still not told me what he did.

He played badly for 70 minutes and then ok-ish for 20.

That's 19 minutes more than Johnson. 

I have told you by the way. In the other thread where you are also scapegoating one player for the result of a team game. And I told you there and here that no one player has ever won or lost a game of football. Never has. Never will. 

You sound like a bully. Why else would you not cast that critical eye over all the players.

Why not ask what they all did? Where they all went right/wrong.

It's what the deadly duo do with Martin on here

I am no fan of Butterfield but it is more a case of midfield combinations - both him a Johnson together we are very poor so it has to be one or the other whist Huddlestone is playing and if we had a fully fit Thorne he would be in there but we don't 

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He did nothing all game bar give away a penalty. Lets say how good he is when he's done something.

You are posting like @toddy on about Martin, and @Ninos on Martin and Butterfield. Does it not scare you that Ninos agrees with you?:ph34r:

1 minute ago, rynny said:

You are posting like @toddy on about Martin, and @Ninos on Martin and Butterfield. Does it not scare you that Ninos agrees with you?:ph34r:

Nope. He was exceptionally poor. He did little to nothing positive, at least Brad scored. We're going nowhere playing BJ and Butterfield.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Nope. He was exceptionally poor. He did little to nothing positive, at least Brad scored. We're going nowhere playing BJ and Butterfield.

He was no worse than most others on the pitch. Not sure what he else can really do when the ball is 20 yards over his head.

Just now, rynny said:

He was no worse than most others on the pitch. Not sure what he else can really do when the ball is 20 yards over his head.

The others were poor because of the ordinary midfield - he created nothing, he defended nothing.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

The others were poor because of the ordinary midfield - he created nothing, he defended nothing.

The ordinary midfield was just that because the deenders bypassed them. No composure throughout the team. Not down to just 1 player. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Your last sentence I agree. 

According to who scored Johnson had a pass completion of 55% and made no tackles. He put Cattermole through on goal. 

So I'd say Butterfield at least passed to a teammate 8.5 times in 10. 

Like @rynny said. You are in danger of sounding like Ninos on Martin/Butterfield and toddy on Martin. 

I don't like Weimann. But I can't blame it all on him even though he was useless. 

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am no fan of Butterfield but it is more a case of midfield combinations - both him a Johnson together we are very poor so it has to be one or the other whist Huddlestone is playing and if we had a fully fit Thorne he would be in there but we don't 

Due to his being prone to injury, Thorne is not a realistic option for Rowett. The midfield needs to be built around Tom Huddlestone, our only midfield player of any real quality. Unfortunately Rowetts hands are tied as he seems to be stuck with Butterfield and Johnson. Shame that Bryson can no longer seem to find the brilliant form of a few seasons ago.

Archived