Butterfield the new Hughes.

RoyMac5

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Ninos said:

Don't fall for Rynnys "evil ninos" routine. youre right - Butterfield offers nothing and today he lost us 2 points.

Not at all. It was meant in a jokey way, as roymac has had plenty of disagreements with the pair of you in the wardrobe thread.

But seeing as you didn't take it as a joke. You hyperbole everything with Martin and Butterfield negative. Like in my reply to Alpha, we all have our players we don't like and look to nit pick everything they do.

Case in point you saying Butterfield lost us 2 points. It is the same when people say Keogh lost us the game at Wembley. Last night was result was more than Butterfield slipping and the referee giving a shocking decision (remember in the women's game where the referee had to change her decision after giving a penalty for almost the exact same thing?

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40694641 ) there are 13 other players that contributed to lasts night match so to say Butterfield is the reason we lost 2 points is rubbish. What about Martin's miss, it was bad, no excuses. What about Nugent's, that was bad also, no excuses. What about the other horrendous refereeing decision that he didn't award us a penalty when both Keogh and Davies were both wrestled to the groind at the same time? Would Johnson be completely to blame if we had lost and Grabban had scored instead of hitting the post? What Carson's positioning for the penalty? What if he stood in the middle of the goal he may of actually reached the ball and saved the penalty? How about him coming off his line once in a while? Maybe if Russell had shown a bit of composure after fetting past the defenders, looked up and actually gave the ball to one of our players instead of just hopefully swinging his right foot at it? Or if he passed to Wisdom when he had a 1/4 of the pitch to himself?

There are too many reasons why we drew last night and they aren't all Butterfield's fault.

6 hours ago, Ninos said:

Per the thread title, To mention Butterfield in the same breath as Hughes is to put Connor Sammon in the same conversation as Neymar. Ridiculous.

Correct.

But I would add.....

All this b******* about its unfair to blame Butterfield for being inept , but the simply fact is he is inept. As for other performances last night, Martin yes back at Derby and back on his Are, some fans think  he'll hit 20 goals , really!

Johnson's does at least have some skill, not brilliant I agree,  he can at least tackle/ shot and head the ball and is aggressive enough with opponents  alas he cannot pass, he could if he could he would been playing at a higher level.

Overall it was a poor performance by us, most thought Sunderland would be there for the taking last night and they werent and we look know where near a top 2 side  - unfortunately we are a mid table side and no more.

It is not what Butterfield  did last night it's what he doesn't do that is significant.We need players in midfield who can do more and have options for themselves whether its finding our players with passes, moving with the ball themselves, making an effective tackle or taking responsibility and attempting to score. Hughes could do most of those. 

27 minutes ago, DRBee said:

It is not what Butterfield  did last night it's what he doesn't do that is significant.We need players in midfield who can do more and have options for themselves whether its finding our players with passes, moving with the ball themselves, making an effective tackle or taking responsibility and attempting to score. Hughes could do most of those. 

+1

Perhaps I was a little harsh on Butterfield (although I don't think so), but he really offered nothing. If he'd have been subbed by a dustbin we'd have probably had as many passes off it. :lol:

The main point is that like Blackman, Anya, Weimann and ... take your pick of a couple of others, Butterfield is really no better than a bench warmer.

I believed before the game we need a winger maybe 2 to be challenging in the top 6. After the game I strongly feel we need another centre mid and a winger to be challenging. Midfield was none existent.

Butterfield and Johnson both as bad as each other, Butterfield played a bit better overall Johnsons goal dragging him up from a 3 or 4 rating to a 5. 

Does feel like this topic was drafted and ready to go a month a go and activated after game 1.

Could have predicted it would happen, just need the we miss Tom Ince Thread now regardless of incomings it will happen. 

Really can't add anything more than what's been said, yes Butterfield had a poor game, in fact let's trigger the naughty word filter, he was s****. 

But wasn't alone and certainly doesn't deserve singling out. Incredibly harsh. Forsyth poor, Wisdom poor, Weimann anonymous, Johnson sloppy, Russell Russell, Martin a couple of reminders of why we missed him last year but faded fast. 

It's not Butterfield's fault Hughes was sold. 

Just now, David said:

Does feel like this topic was drafted and ready to go a month a go and activated after game 1.

Could have predicted it would happen, just need the we miss Tom Ince Thread now regardless of incomings it will happen. 

Really can't add anything more than what's been said, yes Butterfield had a poor game, in fact let's trigger the naughty word filter, he was s****. 

But wasn't alone and certainly doesn't deserve singling out. Incredibly harsh. Forsyth poor, Wisdom poor, Weimann anonymous, Johnson sloppy, Russell Russell, Martin a couple of reminders of why we missed him last year but faded fast. 

With the list of underperforming players as long as that, not surprising hughes reached the conclusion that he needed to move if he wanted premier league football anytime soon. 

Gary rowett and staff have been in post for nearly 5 months. Admittedly of course there's been a close season in that. The fact that so little appears settled in terms of preferred personnel, formation and tactics I find suprising. 

A poster expressed a view on another thread that preseason appeared to have been largely wasted. I have some sympathy with that view. We still seem to be trialling everyone on the basis that they're all capable of the odd 10 minute decent spell here and there.

I'm sticking with my 11th prediction for this season on the basis I don't think we'll be able to get all the players in that Gary Rowett would like to. 

37 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

With the list of underperforming players as long as that, not surprising hughes reached the conclusion that he needed to move if he wanted premier league football anytime soon. 

Gary rowett and staff have been in post for nearly 5 months. Admittedly of course there's been a close season in that. The fact that so little appears settled in terms of preferred personnel, formation and tactics I find suprising. 

A poster expressed a view on another thread that preseason appeared to have been largely wasted. I have some sympathy with that view. We still seem to be trialling everyone on the basis that they're all capable of the odd 10 minute decent spell here and there.

I'm sticking with my 11th prediction for this season on the basis I don't think we'll be able to get all the players in that Gary Rowett would like to. 

Hughes had the opportunity of Premier League football, doesn't matter who is at Derby he would be a fool to turn that down.

As for Rowett he's not had one complete transfer window yet so it's no surprise we haven't seen a settled side, that may continue into September when it becomes a little more stable after the window has shut.

Early days despite last nights turd performance, it's one game in, not overly concerned by anything just yet. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Does feel like this topic was drafted and ready to go a month a go and activated after game 1... 

No it wasn't. I was hoping Butterfield would show why we bought him. Which if you remember was as cover for Hughes. He didn't exactly show why we bought him, but he did show why we might want to get a replacement for him too!

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

No it wasn't. I was hoping Butterfield would show why we bought him. Which if you remember was as cover for Hughes. He didn't exactly show why we bought him, but he did show why we might want to get a replacement for him too!

I don't recall any of that being said when we bought him other than from fans keyboards.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Mel said as much when talking about our past signings.

Still don't recall that. I remember us signing Johnson and Butterfield due to the injuries but not that Butterfield was an exact like for like replacement or cover for Hughes.

Butterfield is a footballer in his own right, he's not Will Hughes MKII.

When you listen to Rowett now he talks about having different attacking options, pretty sure most managers would like different options across the team.

Fans on the other hand want a carbon copy. 

2 hours ago, toddy said:

Correct.

But I would add.....

All this b******* about its unfair to blame Butterfield for being inept , but the simply fact is he is inept. As for other performances last night, Martin yes back at Derby and back on his Are, some fans think  he'll hit 20 goals , really!

Johnson's does at least have some skill, not brilliant I agree,  he can at least tackle/ shot and head the ball and is aggressive enough with opponents  alas he cannot pass, he could if he could he would been playing at a higher level.

Overall it was a poor performance by us, most thought Sunderland would be there for the taking last night and they werent and we look know where near a top 2 side  - unfortunately we are a mid table side and no more.

There for the taking they were for sure 

Falling on his arse was actually a big positive about his game cuz he won free kicks ... but when you've got Nugent and Vydra and dare I say Zanzala lurking in the wings then why bother truly if hudds is going to launch balls to create opps. Butt is an irrelevance of a player. We all know that if GR had played Nugent with Vydra (20x more exciting than skill free running man Weimann and static flick master martin) we would have slaughtered the mackems. And GR says he was very close to starting that pair btw in his post match.  Interesting.  Also it's clear that 4-2-3-1 works best for us ... 

Just now, Ninos said:

There for the taking they were for sure 

Falling on his arse was actually a big positive about his game cuz he won free kicks ... but when you've got Nugent and Vydra and dare I say Zanzala lurking in the wings then why bother truly if hudds is going to launch balls to create opps. Butt is an irrelevance of a player. We all know that if GR had played Nugent with Vydra (20x more exciting than skill free running man Weimann and static flick master martin) we would have slaughtered the mackems. And GR says he was very close to starting that pair btw in his post match.  Interesting.  Also it's clear that 4-2-3-1 works best for us ... 

You must of been brilliant at football lol. 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Still don't recall that. I remember us signing Johnson and Butterfield due to the injuries but not that Butterfield was an exact like for like replacement or cover for Hughes.

When you listen to Rowett now he talks about having different attacking options, pretty sure most managers would like different options across the team.

My recollection is Mel saying it was to cover the midfield injuries meaning Bryson and Hughes. So Johnson and Butterfield came in because those two went down.  And Didn't he go on to say that in hindsight we should have considered the loan route? 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Who has said that? Neither have I seen (m)any posts referring to Butterfield as Hughes Mk2 - only from you.

Archived