Butterfield the new Hughes.

RoyMac5

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I said, put the same microscope on Johnson. 

I like how there's always just one player responsible for all that is bad.

Forget you had Wisdom standing still on the ball for so long I thought I'd hit pause. Forget Davies ignoring Huddlestone's request to not tackle him In the build up to the penalty. Forget Forsyth suddenly turning naive and pressing the ball and exposing our left flank. Forget Johnson who hit hospital passes multiple times and I'd be interested to know if his pass completion was even 60% and he put Cattermole in on goal. Forget Weimann skipping around all over the place offering a terrible first touch and being unable to bring the composure that at least Russell managed. 

It's all down to Butterfield. Who actually came into the game in the last 20 to start offering a base of attack. 

Was he good? Nope. But did he cost us points on his own? Nope. Did Keogh at Wembley? Nope. 

It's the manager. Not it's Leon Best. No it's the manager. No it's Keogh. No It's the manager. No it's Blackman. No it's the manager. No it's Butterfield. 

No. It's the manager and the team. They aren't united in the way they want to play football. And quite simply this team...

Grant, Wisdom, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, Russell, Martin, Ward with support from Dawkins, Hendrick, Eustace etc... 

Wasn't exceptionally talented. It didn't have a great manager. It did have partnerships and a system and style it understood and suited. 

Last season there were calls to scrap the whole team. We buy Wisdom, Davies and Huddlestone and people think the very hyped Gary Rowett will suddenly be a different animal. 

Firstly there's no settled system or style. There's no partnerships. And crucially the best players of that season are somehow still our best players while it is probably fair to say they have gone backwards themselves slightly. 

Just now, Alpha said:

Like I said, put the same microscope on Johnson. 

I like how there's always just one player responsible for all that is bad.

Butterfield is responsible for how ordinary, slow and lacking in effort he was. That's not Johnsons fault.

I don't mind so much that he's so utterly useless and we are trying to shop window him by sticking him out there but when he starts flapping his hands and conceding penalties costing us a win, it takes the effin biscuit. Please stop torturing us with this guy GR. Not that we didn't see this coming. Add to a typically inept Weimann, when Vydra and Nugent arrived we finally started tearing them to ribbons.

He wasn't as bad as others. Weimann and Forsyth both had shockers. Butterfield doesn't have the legs for a three. Better in a two with Huddlestone. He'll be replaced by someone who does if Rowett decides to return to 4-3-3.

Bryson is the better fit. 

Too early to judge anyone. Johnson was as equally poor as Butterfield, Weimann and Fozzy didn't have good games, I laud Chris Martin regularly but even he wasn't great. Positives were Huddlestone Davies and Wisdom. Keogh had good game also. Didn't play great but could easily have won, first game of the season and a point away from home. Positive.

But 4-3-3 with Johnson and Butterfield for me isn't the right balance.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Butterfield is responsible for how ordinary, slow and lacking in effort he was. That's not Johnsons fault.

So who's responsible for Johnson's abysmal passing. His under hit passes, his way off target passes. His hospital passes. For him not having a decent 10-20 minute spell like Butterfield had at the end?

No need to single him out as a scapegoat in a game where there were more players who underperformed compared to those who had a good game.

It's funny just how fine the margins are within football, that includes with fans too. Butterfield was inches away from getting on the rebound from Huddlestone's shot which would have put us 2-0 up. He then fell over and the ball bounced from his thigh to his arm. Debatable but I think it was quite a harsh one. Swap those two incidents around and I don't think there would be many commenting specifically on Butterfield's game.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

So who's responsible for Johnson's abysmal passing. His under hit passes, his way off target passes. His hospital passes. For him not having a decent 10-20 minute spell like Butterfield had at the end?

Its about Butterfield - you've still not told me what he did.

1 minute ago, Kernow said:

No need to single him out as a scapegoat in a game where there were more players who underperformed compared to those who had a good game.

It's funny just how fine the margins are within football, that includes with fans too. Butterfield was inches away from getting on the rebound from Huddlestone's shot which would have put us 2-0 up. He then fell over and the ball bounced from his thigh to his arm. Debatable but I think it was quite a harsh one. Swap those two incidents around and I don't think there would be many commenting specifically on Butterfield's game.

He did nothing all game bar give away a penalty. Lets say how good he is when he's done something.

6 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Too early to judge anyone. Johnson was as equally poor as Butterfield, Weimann and Fozzy didn't have good games, I laud Chris Martin regularly but even he wasn't great. Positives were Huddlestone Davies and Wisdom. Keogh had good game also. Didn't play great but could easily have won, first game of the season and a point away from home. Positive.

But 4-3-3 with Johnson and Butterfield for me isn't the right balance.

Nice little post and exactly what I'd have written if it wasn't for Mrs Stella and Ms Baileys

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He did nothing all game bar give away a penalty. Lets say how good he is when he's done something.

The point is if he was half a foot closer to the ball he'd have scored. If there was a different referee he may have seen it differently.

Butterfield still would have done equally as little in the rest of the game, but that wasn't focussed on. I can name 5 or 6 who need to improve on today's match, so why is Butterfield the only one taking the flack?

He was pretty poor tonight but many others were also poor. He plays much better when deeper in a 4-2-3-1. Don't know why we don't play him there more, he was class against Newcastle away last season there. Put him next to Huddlestone in a 2 in games where we are expected to dominate and then have Vydra behind Nugent or Martin.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The point is if he was half a foot closer to the ball he'd have scored. If there was a different referee he may have seen it differently.

Butterfield still would have done equally as little in the rest of the game, but that wasn't focussed on. I can name 5 or 6 who need to improve on today's match, so why is Butterfield the only one taking the flack?

He provided nothing for Martin, he did nothing up front. He didn't do much to defend and gave away a penalty.

He looked absolutely useless, but maybe he just had a bad game.

Edit: oh and he's so slow.

6 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Johnson can't pass I agree but he's pretty damn dangerous and can tackle. If he could pass he'd be in the PL.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He provided nothing for Martin, he did nothing up front. He didn't do much to defend and gave away a penalty.

He looked absolutely useless, but maybe he just had a bad game.

The only difference between Butter today and normally is today he handed them a free point and donated two of ours.:huh:

Archived