Your thoughts on the upcoming season

TuffLuff

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, curtains said:

It just the impression you give out that it's all fine and dandy. 

Not at all. 

I would like to win the league, I don't think that's possible with this squad.

I do however believe that we are capable of competing for a top 6 place this season.

If we finish 5th and 15pts off top and get promoted with a day out of Wembley I will be just as happy, I will challenge you to try and take the smile off my face.

You go round every forum and every club with have a few fans saying mid table at best, we need this this this this. Even Boro fans, go look.

When looking at our squad and this season people seem to be overlooking one possible area we have strengthened and that's no Nigel Pearson giving the rest of the league a 2 month head start. That is huge!

For our lack of goals, remove the Pearson tenure and we scored more than both Sheff Wed and Huddersfield. In fact Huddersfield only scored 4 more than us all season.

With Martin back, Nugent here for the full season we have the goals to replace Ince and Bent's.

If we see the best of Weimann and Russell this year we have potentially another 20 goals right there.

It's not just goals but it's conceding at the wrong time. You can win every game scoring 46 goals all season. Or go down by conceding just as many.

I won't apologise for looking on the bright side, wasn't long ago we was going into a season with Sammon and Tyson. 

Theres also the small matter of another 5 weeks till the transfer window closes.

The first choice starting eleven is ok, as the Kaiserslautern game showed.

However, we still have too many overpaid average players in the squad who aren't going to get us anywhere (Northampton game)

I reckon we need another transfer window or two before we become a genuine title challenger.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Not at all. 

I would like to win the league, I don't think that's possible with this squad.

I do however believe that we are capable of competing for a top 6 place this season.

If we finish 5th and 15pts off top and get promoted with a day out of Wembley I will be just as happy, I will challenge you to try and take the smile off my face.

You go round every forum and every club with have a few fans saying mid table at best, we need this this this this. Even Boro fans, go look.

When looking at our squad and this season people seem to be overlooking one possible area we have strengthened and that's no Nigel Pearson giving the rest of the league a 2 month head start. That is huge!

For our lack of goals, remove the Pearson tenure and we scored more than both Sheff Wed and Huddersfield. In fact Huddersfield only scored 4 more than us all season.

With Martin back, Nugent here for the full season we have the goals to replace Ince and Bent's.

If we see the best of Weimann and Russell this year we have potentially another 20 goals right there.

It's not just goals but it's conceding at the wrong time. You can win every game scoring 46 goals all season. Or go down by conceding just as many.

I won't apologise for looking on the bright side, wasn't long ago we was going into a season with Sammon and Tyson. 

Theres also the small matter of another 5 weeks till the transfer window closes.

I love Rowett and wanted him as manager no question but I'm worried he may be falling into the same trap as other Derby managers when they take over and giving too many players who have previously failed the benefit of the doubt like Hanson and Keogh and  Russell and Wiemann and Baird and Bryson etc etc . I could go on  

Now Rowett may have improved some players fitness wise and tactically etc but will it be enough having lost decent if not our best players in Hughes and Ince and Christie as well as Camara.

Now we have signed Wisdom , Davies and Huddlestone the latter two getting on a bit to replace these and yes the transfer window has a while left so we could get more players in  

The thread title is how are you feeling about the new season .

In truth I have mixed feelings on this .

Get off to a good start and who knows my glas may soon be very full  

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

I was so close! Meh I wrote all that on a phone, I'm not gonna bother myself about one word in a big old post which isn't about spelling

I am sorry - I do genuinely love when typos give other real words though, could not resist

The positives for me are there is more football to watch which means less time having to do gardening!

I think the players we have bought are very good and an upgrade so expect us to concede less.

Still have concerns over our forwards and where the goals are going to come from. Losing our two top goal scorers that got us 28 goals last season us a blow. I'm hopeful that we will make a few signings before the window closes. I think 3 players are still needed, 2 wide forwards and a CM

i think we will be more solid and consistent overall and expect us to finish out the top 6 if we don't add some quality attacking players.

my main concern is some of the players we still have. Hanson, Olson, and Anya offer absolutely nothing for me and are more of a hindered efforts to the teams progression and overall play. Ha sons just not good enough, Olson is a liability and never cuts out a cross as he stands off too much and Anya doesn't create or score enough and never has. He bamboozles himself half the time with his step overs.

38 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Every side that has gone up recently has had at least 1 star winger who can create nothing out of nothing like Ritchie or Knockart.

Challenge accepted:

• Huddersfield
  • Boro
  • Burnley
  • Watford
  • Norwich
  • Leicester
  • Burnley
  • QPR

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

I love Rowett and wanted him as manager no question but I'm worried he may be falling into the same trap as other Derby managers when they take over and giving too many players who have previously failed the benefit of the doubt like Hanson and Keogh and  Russell and Wiemann and Baird and Bryson etc etc . I could go on  

Now Rowett may have improved some players fitness wise and tactically etc but will it be enough having lost decent if not our best players in Hughes and Ince and Christie as well as Camara.

Now we have signed Wisdom , Davies and Huddlestone the latter two getting on a bit to replace these and yes the transfer window has a while left so we could get more players in  

You can't have it both ways. You are saying that he is falling into the same trap thinking players are good enough like  Hanson and Keogh and  Russell and Wiemann and Baird and Bryson etc etc and that there are more players that you would have gone then bemoan letting Camara go.

Feeling optimistic overall. Even if no more ins and out this window.

It's a long season and there's still a transfer window to come. If we're top 6 or abouts come Jan then I think we'll go again. I see no reason bar injuries to stop us competing well. I think it's going to be a well contested season with no clear early breakaways.

4 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Replace Leicester with Hull (Leicester had Knockaert / Mahrez)

Knockaert  36(6) games 5 goals

Mahrez 12(7) games 3 goals

With Hull was thinking Snodgrass but checked and he played 18(6) games and scored 3 goals.

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Rather than look at Derby's weaknesses, look at what other clubs have done in this league and what we should be fearful of. 

For me Boro and Villa will walk it, they have the parachute money so you can't compete financially with those clubs, you have to be smarter and find a few bargains as Brighton did. I don't think we have found enough "yet" to really look at those 2 and think we can challenge them or the stability.

The next 4, given me names and transfers which have taken them to new levels beyond our reach?

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

Challenge accepted:

• Huddersfield
  • Boro
  • Burnley
  • Watford
  • Norwich
  • Leicester
  • Burnley
  • QPR

Huddersfield-Brown, Kachunga, Van la Parra

Boro-Downing,Stuani, Adomah

Burnley- Played a very narrow 4-4-2 so no genuine wide players, although Boyd and Kightly were their creative sparks.

Watford- they played a narrow diamond formation, but they had a younger Anya and forestieri to provide width when they needed to

Norwich- Redmond

Leicester-Mahrez, Knockart and Dyer

QPR-Hoilett

Some of those teams played different formations to what we are expected to. Nice try though.You can quote me on this now, we won't finish above 8th if we don't sign any genuine quality widemen.

1 minute ago, rynny said:

You can't have it both ways. You are saying that he is falling into the same trap thinking players are good enough like  Hanson and Keogh and  Russell and Wiemann and Baird and Bryson etc etc and that there are more players that you would have gone then bemoan letting Camara go.

Camara was one I would have let go although I would have let Russell go before him .

I didn't want Hughes ,Ince and Christie to go when the likes of Hanson ,Bryson and Russell have stayed. 

48 minutes ago, David said:

Bet you liked rounders at school as well whilst all the other lads played football and rugby

45 minutes ago, curtains said:

I bet I could have run rings around you at Footy mate .

Did you play ring a ring of roses. 

43 minutes ago, David said:

Don't doubt it, if we had a game of football you would start bouncing the ball half way through telling me it's basketball now, once I get a bounce you'll be dragging me down saying it's rugby!

42 minutes ago, curtains said:

Funny how you think everything is hunky dory all the time .

True Derby fan you 

Fight! Fight! Fight!

I was just waiting for the 'My dad is bigger than your dad' line

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Huddersfield-Brown, Kachunga, Van la Parra

Boro-Downing,Stuani, Adomah

Burnley- Played a very narrow 4-4-2 so no genuine wide players, although Boyd and Kightly were their creative sparks.

Watford- they played a narrow diamond formation, but they had a younger Anya and forestieri to provide width when they needed to

Norwich- Redmond

Leicester-Mahrez, Knockart and Dyer

QPR-Hoilett

Some of those teams played different formations to what we are expected to. Nice try though.You can quote me on this now, we won't finish above 8th if we don't sign any genuine quality widemen.

Star wingers that create something out of nothing you said. None of the players you mentioned had star quality stand out seasons.

Looking forward to the season starting again - I cant cope with football free summers - but not feeling optimistic at all about how the Rams will do this time around. The fact that we sold our two most creative players and have not replaced either yet tells me it's going to be a grind with us lacking creative quality in midfield and no-one to turn a game with a moment of magic. I expect us to be tougher to beat but without having the extra quality in the squad I don't see us denting the top six to be honest. 

Archived