Your thoughts on the upcoming season

TuffLuff

19 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Looking forward to the season starting again - I cant cope with football free summers - but not feeling optimistic at all about how the Rams will do this time around. The fact that we sold our two most creative players and have not replaced either yet tells me it's going to be a grind with us lacking creative quality in midfield and no-one to turn a game with a moment of magic. I expect us to be tougher to beat but without having the extra quality in the squad I don't see us denting the top six to be honest. 

Not to deflect here but do any stats actually suggest Ince and Hughes were our two most creative players? Hughes surely couldn't have been last year, and although Ince scored I was under the impression his assist number was surprisingly low. 

To be honest I see it more as people using to fit an argument rather it actually being true?

UPDATE: just looked and Ince was still top of the assists with a paltry 6 so I stand corrected! Didn't realise it was that bad, although expect some of the others to get a few more. Plus the likes of Forsyth I would expect a min of 5!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, rynny said:

Star wingers that create something out of nothing you said. None of the players you mentioned had star quality stand out seasons.

Because stats are everything aren't they ?. The fans of those teams said that they all stood out and were key to their promotions. All of those players(maybe apart from hoilett) were better than any of our wide options at the moment but this can change.

Let me ask, do you genuinely think believe that our wide options are good enough? I certainly don't. Weimann's probably the best out of a bad bunch.

25 minutes ago, David said:

Rather than look at Derby's weaknesses, look at what other clubs have done in this league and what we should be fearful of. 

For me Boro and Villa will walk it, they have the parachute money so you can't compete financially with those clubs, you have to be smarter and find a few bargains as Brighton did. I don't think we have found enough "yet" to really look at those 2 and think we can challenge them or the stability.

The next 4, given me names and transfers which have taken them to new levels beyond our reach?

Not many teams you could say Derby could beat them easily is there Home or Away  

2017–18 EFL Championship 

Aston Villa

Barnsley

Birmingham

Bolton

Brentford

Bristol City

Burton

Cardiff City

Fulham

Hull City

Ipswich Town

Leeds United

Middlesbrough

Millwall

Norwich City

Nottm Forest

Preston 

QPR

Reading

Shelf Utd

Sheff. Wednesday

Sunderland

Wolves

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Not many teams you could say Derby could beat them easily is there Home or Away

Wasn't the question, let's say top 2 is out the question, which 4 clubs are far ahead of Derby for those play off spots that we can't even think of competing for?

What have they done this summer to put them in that position

11 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Not to deflect here but do any stats actually suggest Ince and Hughes were our two most creative players? Hughes surely couldn't have been last year, and although Ince scored I was under the impression his assist number was surprisingly low. 

To be honest I see it more as people using to fit an argument rather it actually being true?

Ince was top scorer and provided top number of assists...as a winger...not good enough???

4 minutes ago, David said:

Wasn't the question, let's say top 2 is out the question, which 4 clubs are far ahead of Derby for those play off spots that we can't even think of competing for?

What have they done this summer to put them in that position

http://www.skysports.com/football/team-transfers-championship

Check them out 

Some Championship teams have been very active 

4 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

Sponsored presumably by Screwfix?

Sheffield United Transfers

Summer 2017

COMPLETED INSFROMFEE

George BaldockMilton Keynes DonsUndisclosed 

Jamal BlackmanChelseaLoan 

John LundstramOxford UnitedUndisclosed 

Richard StearmanFulham

1 minute ago, David said:

I'm asking for your opinion, not links or copy and pastes, you're the one saying this squad isn't good enough so I'm asking you which 4 clubs are out of reach and why.

Reading 

Sheffield Wed 

Leeds 

Fulham 

Sith Happens

I am positive we will do well, people talk about a lack of creativity up front but we do have creative players and creative midfielders. The reason they havent been so creative, especially your bryson/butterfield/johnson is we have never solved the what do we do without George Thorne issue.

By not having a proper holding midfielder the likes of those players mentioned have not been able to get forward and play to the best of their abilities. We have hopefully now solved the holding midfielder issue, these players can hopefully push on bringing the the likes of russel, weimman, vydra, anya, martin into the game and more effective.

Thats my take on it, its not just about replacing those personnel who didnt perform last season, its about understanding why they didnt and enabling them to perform better which i think they will do.

We have certainly improved in defence.

I can't wait for the season to start. Not asking or expecting much of the squad, top 6 would be great but if we finish outside but Rowett's got rid of thelacklustre approach we can see from time to time, Brentford away, Brighton away which I believe was the straw that broke the camels back for Mel, that'll do for me.

Best of luck to all at the club. COYR. ? 

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Ince was top scorer and provided top number of assists...as a winger...not good enough???

Already stand corrected in my edit mate.

I do think his 6 assists does say quite a bit  about how we were playing though and where the problem going forward possibly lies. In that it suited how Ince played but none of the other attackers. That's partly why I originally said I'm not too fussed on the need to replace Ince like for like.

8 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Because stats are everything aren't they ?. The fans of those teams said that they all stood out and were key to their promotions. All of those players(maybe apart from hoilett) were better than any of our wide options at the moment but this can change.

Let me ask, do you genuinely think believe that our wide options are good enough? I certainly don't. Weimann's probably the best out of a bad bunch.

Well you are the ones that said they created something out of nothing, they were star quality. To me that means they either scored a bucket load or set up someone else up to score a bucket load. To me star quality is more than standing out, it is the best player in the team. Again none of the players you mentioned were their team's best player.

They may be better then than our current options and some are certainly better now.

If they carry on from last season then they are not good enough but it is down to how they are used. Take the Kaiserslautern match, there were times where Russell and Weimann were acting as centre mids as Johnson and Butterfield pushed on to help Martin close down the defenders, if that is going to happen a lot this season then their stats aren't going to be great for goals and assists but they will have played a very big part in the team.

I do believe we can improve of them, but I also think we can get more out of them than we have done in the last season or 2. Russell, Weimann and Anya have all produced far more than they did last season, in the past.

I said to @Nuwtfly when there was talk of Ince going (or not long after he was sold) that I could see us going into the season without his replacement. Not something I would have done but I could see it happening.

3 minutes ago, curtains said:

Reading 

Sheffield Wed 

Leeds 

Fulham 

Reading have brought in a keeper, Sheff Wed Boyd.

Leeds have signed a bunch of unknowns to this division with an unknown manager. 

Fulham have lost 10 goal Martin and signed CM's and CB's.

Not seeing anything out of reach that we're unable to compete with, that's not to say we could finish 7th below them all, it's just none really stand out as Boro and Villa do for the top 2.

Just now, David said:

Reading have brought in a keeper, Sheff Wed Boyd.

Leeds have signed a bunch of unknowns to this division with an unknown manager. 

Fulham have lost 10 goal Martin and signed CM's and CB's.

Not seeing anything out of reach that we're unable to compete with, that's not to say we could finish 7th below them all, it's just none really stand out as Boro and Villa do for the top 2.

Sheffield Wed ,Fulham ,Reading all reached the playoffs last season and we didn't. 

We are playing catchup. 

Archived