Your thoughts on the upcoming season

TuffLuff

49 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Huddersfield-Brown, Kachunga, Van la Parra

Boro-Downing,Stuani, Adomah

Burnley- Played a very narrow 4-4-2 so no genuine wide players, although Boyd and Kightly were their creative sparks.

Watford- they played a narrow diamond formation, but they had a younger Anya and forestieri to provide width when they needed to

Norwich- Redmond

Leicester-Mahrez, Knockart and Dyer

QPR-Hoilett

Some of those teams played different formations to what we are expected to. Nice try though.You can quote me on this now, we won't finish above 8th if we don't sign any genuine quality widemen.

IMG_0195.PNG

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, curtains said:

Sheffield Wed ,Fulham ,Reading all reached the playoffs last season and we didn't. 

We are playing catchup. 

They all didn't have Nigel Pearson for 2 months loaning out their top goal scorer to a rival and replacing him with Vydra.

Just now, David said:

They all didn't have Nigel Pearson for 2 months loaning out their top goal scorer to a rival and replacing him with Vydra.

Very true but Vydra ain't that bad is he but they weren't like for like. 

Just going out out now mate have a nice rest of the day. 

Got to get my tickets for the game tomorrow from Pride Park for me and the wife.

We'll do well this season.  Definite top 6, challenging for top 2, and l think Gary and his core playing squad will be effective and competitive at every stage this season. We could do with a couple of wide alternatives obviously, and I think Gary will get them.

For God sake some of you , you profess your Rams fans ,please think about what your posting , some of you writing us off before a balls been kicked , the season starts Friday , not at Northampton on tuesday , give Gary and the lads a break , top 6 is well in our reach , when not if we click weve got the best squad in this league , some of you will be eating your words next May , you mark my words , COYR

1 hour ago, curtains said:

Funny how you think everything is hunky dory all the time .

True Derby fan you 

Many on here are like that unfortunately, if we were good enough we would have got promoted years ago but instead many like to focus on what happened in the past and what players like Russell and Bryson have done previously when that doesn't mean anything for the here and now.

We are a decent team in the championship, not a great team, reality will hit home soon enough. All we have got are the foundations which is quite ridiculous when we have spent as much as we have as you'd think that we would have been the final package by now but we've quite clearly regressed. Rowett's got a much bigger job than many think. I think we should judge him in 2 or 3 years.

I dont think we should underestimate what gary could do with the current crop of players,it was only a few years ago steve mc turned Russell into a world beater

27 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

We'll do well this season.  Definite top 6, challenging for top 2, and l think Gary and his core playing squad will be effective and competitive at every stage this season. We could do with a couple of wide alternatives obviously, and I think Gary will get them.

That's the happiest clappiest post I've seen for awhile. Good on ya!

Just now, Ramet said:

I dont think we should underestimate what gary could do with the current crop of players,it was only a few years ago steve mc turned Russell into a world beater

Russell a world beater?! Let's not get carried away ?

His best season was under clement I think.

14 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

For God sake some of you , you profess your Rams fans ,please think about what your posting , some of you writing us off before a balls been kicked , the season starts Friday , not at Northampton on tuesday , give Gary and the lads a break , top 6 is well in our reach , when not if we click weve got the best squad in this league , some of you will be eating your words next May , you mark my words , COYR

So in other words, don't have an opinion unless you think we're guaranteed top 6?

13 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Many on here are like that unfortunately

It's unfortunate that other fans don't all look on new seasons as doom and gloom? 

Every club is on 0 points, we've been here long enough to know it's not always the best squads that go up, anyone can beat anyone, why not have a couple of months optimism before reality hits.

Depressing game if you're going into each season thinking why bother 

1 minute ago, David said:

It's unfortunate that other fans don't all look on new seasons as doom and gloom? 

Every club is on 0 points, we've been here long enough to know it's not always the best squads that go up, anyone can beat anyone, why not have a couple of months optimism before reality hits.

Maybe it saves on the depression when we fail again. At least they can only be pleasantly surprised if we play well

Just now, EnigmaRam said:

Maybe it saves on the depression when we fail again. At least they can only be pleasantly surprised if we play well

Isn't it the rollercoaster ride that brings us back each year?

10 minutes ago, David said:

I'm not expecting anything this season because the squad is too unbalanced for my liking. You're correct that the best squads don't always go up, but those that do, usually have balanced squads, whilst for me there's far too much work that needs to be done for Gary to resolve in one window. 

I said the same when McClaren was here last season that he should have been given two or three windows to put his own authority on the squad. As Enigma said, if we do well then that's a pleasant surprise, but if I don't expect anything then I don't get disappointed. I've been watching Derby 20+ years to know that Derby never do things easily and whenever I was previously positive before seasons, nothing ever came of it.

1 hour ago, David said:

Not at all. 

I would like to win the league, I don't think that's possible with this squad.

I do however believe that we are capable of competing for a top 6 place this season.

If we finish 5th and 15pts off top and get promoted with a day out of Wembley I will be just as happy, I will challenge you to try and take the smile off my face.

You go round every forum and every club with have a few fans saying mid table at best, we need this this this this. Even Boro fans, go look.

When looking at our squad and this season people seem to be overlooking one possible area we have strengthened and that's no Nigel Pearson giving the rest of the league a 2 month head start. That is huge!

For our lack of goals, remove the Pearson tenure and we scored more than both Sheff Wed and Huddersfield. In fact Huddersfield only scored 4 more than us all season.

With Martin back, Nugent here for the full season we have the goals to replace Ince and Bent's.

If we see the best of Weimann and Russell this year we have potentially another 20 goals right there.

It's not just goals but it's conceding at the wrong time. You can win every game scoring 46 goals all season. Or go down by conceding just as many.

I won't apologise for looking on the bright side, wasn't long ago we was going into a season with Sammon and Tyson. 

Theres also the small matter of another 5 weeks till the transfer window closes.

First time post after getting bored on another forum so go easy on me.

I like your optimism, however I'm going to have a stab in the dark and guess you don't really go to matches and stumbled across supporting the Rams as it was a good hobby ?! No offence meant, but you sound more like someone who hopes that we can compete, however haven't really watched us on a regular basis over the past couple of years to understand that even if players return to their optimum level we still aren't good enough to gain promotion.

Stats are all well and good, but they don't really mean much on their own, anybody who watched us last season, and the one before, regardless of the manager knows we were way off the top 2 in terms of quality and last season even taking out the Pearson factor no where near the levels required for a top 6 (A season which included a lot of undeserved wins).

We have now been weakened by removing Hughes and Ince, not sure how Martin and Nugent are going to replace Ince's goals given they would need to score 13 in addition to what was scored by the person playing up front at the time.  Martin, hopefully will be a welcomed back addition, but he was in the team the previous season that failed, and no stats will show you that teams often doubled up on Ince as our danger man that resulted in space elsewhere for others to exploit, of which we have now lost.

I'm also not sure how you get Russell and Weimann to have potentially 20 goals between them, Weimann who has scored a handful of goals over the past several years and has been deemed not good enough the be a regular by several managers at Derby, and bombed out of Wolves and Villa as being surplus to requirements.  JR who's best return when he was good is 9 goals, and once again I refer to anyone who has seen him recently, would not back him to score over 5.  If you ever watched Camara, you would know that despite his previous seasons at another club, just by watching him, that he was not a good player and wouldn't fit in at Derby.  I can only imagine how many goals you would have attributed to him had he stayed.

I will agree though that we have come along way since Sammon, and the signing of Huddlestone will hopefully help cover the role GT left when he got injured, Wisdom is a good addition, and hopefully if we can bring in a couple of good players, we will be challenging again but as it is, for those optimistic and delusional fans just think back to the performance and team line up of some of the games last year, including the Brentford game, or the Hull play off game when we lost 2-0.   

Archived