Your thoughts on the upcoming season

TuffLuff

Ok. Week to go. How we all feeling about it?

Not a prediction thread as such but lets just get an idea of how confident we are going in, what we feel happy/unhappy about etc. It's not necessarily debating others, but just giving your own personal opinion on matters.

Personally, I actually feel we will be alright this season. For once I feel we have a nicely balanced squad, which doesn't feel it has too square pegs in round poles. Yes it's still overbloated, but even now we have a decent number of players who look to be injured so it might not be the worse thing? I also think we sometimes under estimate the quality we have got in the squad.

The additions we've made since January have all had a bit of character. They aren't players who will be pushed around on the pitch. I think this is vital, especially considering the players who have left maybe being a touch 'soft'.

I really like the idea of Huddlestone/Thorne as your midfield 'pin' with your midfield runners working in front, similar with Martin/Nugent upfront. It harps back to the best football we played a few years back with Eustace/Thorne. I can at least see what we are trying to do with it. Also the likes of Russell have played their best football in this style, so hopefully we will start seeing the more attacking side of his game again.

Im not too hung up on the idea of us needing to replace Ince like for like. I think rather than spending millions I'd be happy to see us getting the best out of what we already have. Yes we will miss his goals but I can see the likes of Russell, Weimann, Bennett and other chipping in with a few more to replace them. I'd potentially like to see a young loan come in, but at the same time if that means the likes of Bennett, Guy and Elsnick lose game time then is it worth it? Think there's a good chance now to get some of these young talents some game time in the squad.

Ideally I'd still like to shift a few. No one in particular but we do seem to have a lot of attackers and defenders, but again maybe with injuries happening it may be necessary for us. Ideally if we could still shift three players and bring in one proper out an out winger then that would be ideal to me. I think that's maybe what we lack on the attacking side, but this could also be Anya if he finds his form.

Finally, im excited about the return of Forsyth. Isn't he statistically the best full back in the league? If not he's certainly close. A fantastic crosser too, something we've missed out wide

This ended up being a bit more positive then what I originally intended but there you go. I think the crux to me is that there is a decent number of players who need to stand up and be counted this season, who have maybe been disappointing on the whole. I think the overall mentality and style of play is there for them to do it, it's s case to see if they can step up now.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not feeling it. (A good thing because I've been positive for last couple of years)

We're stronger defensively. I think the combination of Rowett's style, Forsyth and Davies (well more the absence of the wooden legged pair than Davies himself) will mean the ball will not hang around the back line pointlessly for hours too. 

But... (sorry)

But I still think we will be bogged down in midfield. I see Huddlestone spreading the play but I don't see anyone to make the most of it. If Ince was still here then the idea of Huddlestone picking out Ince early before he's marked would excite me. But I just don't have the same faith in either our current wingers or the ones we are linked with.

Huddlestone I expect to just sit in there and play diagonals. The rest i see just pretty much replicating last season. No real creative drive now that Ince has gone. 

The front line is better. Half a season of Bent and Vydra meant we played with 10 men. Nugent often makes something out of nothing. Martin will offer an actual sticking point should our midfield spring to life and use him to get forward. So I do think we'll concede less and score a bit easier. A bit.

But my main downer is on the back up. At no point last season did I feel any excitement from the bench. No momentum changing players. No burst of life. No beast to make us invincible. When it came to injuries I thought we faced a significant drop in quality. 

Still feel the same. Hanson? Bennett? Not for me. I like their aggression and enthusiasm. But I think both are naive and hard work is pretty much all I see in them. Bennett I rate slightly higher but I don't fancy these two stepping up to the level of those they could be needed to replace.

Anya? Lovely stepovers. Runs past someone. Then what? I think he's good until he has to lift his head up. 

Vydra? Hmm. I see him as a poor Nugent. 

There's no Bent. 

I just can't get excited. I've tried really hard but I can't imagine anything but another season standing there, arms folded, chanting lazily as Derby play out a 1-0 either way borefest.

My prediction: Too good to lose many, not good enough to win 80 points.

8th - 10th. 

Find me a Huddersfield fan that thought they would go up this time last year.

If you're not looking forward to the new season you're doing football fan wrong. 

Can't wait me, forget Christmas, the socks and Lynx sets, I want a chocolate filled calendar with doors to open up until the start of the new season. 

If you're really really struggling to get up for it, just think......cricket seasons almost over!!!

EIEIEIO

With the team how it is at the moment, I think we will struggle to finish above 8th. We are a lot better defensively with the signings of Wisdom, Davies and Huddlestone as well as the return of Forsyth. But we are still really lacking in the wide areas and in midfield to help Huddlestone. Every side that has gone up recently has had at least 1 star winger who can create nothing out of nothing like Ritchie or Knockart. Lawrence may be that guy(if we sign him) but I feel we need 1 more quality inside forward in addition to Lawrence and also a very good midfielder too. I'd be a lot more confident if we got players in those three positions.

I'm not really expecting anything from this season, however much I'd love us to do well.

11 minutes ago, David said:

Find me a Huddersfield fan that thought they would go up this time last year.

If you're not looking forward to the new season you're doing football fan wrong. 

Can't wait me, forget Christmas, the socks and Lynx sets, I want a chocolate filled calendar with doors to open up until the start of the new season. 

If you're really really struggling to get up for it, just think......cricket seasons almost over!!!

EIEIEIO

I love Cricket 

Watching England now. 

45 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm not feeling it. (A good thing because I've been positive for last couple of years)

We're stronger defensively. I think the combination of Rowett's style, Forsyth and Davies (well more the absence of the wooden legged pair than Davies himself) will mean the ball will not hang around the back line pointlessly for hours too. 

But... (sorry)

But I still think we will be bogged down in midfield. I see Huddlestone spreading the play but I don't see anyone to make the most of it. If Ince was still here then the idea of Huddlestone picking out Ince early before he's marked would excite me. But I just don't have the same faith in either our current wingers or the ones we are linked with.

Huddlestone I expect to just sit in there and play diagonals. The rest i see just pretty much replicating last season. No real creative drive now that Ince has gone. 

The front line is better. Half a season of Bent and Vydra meant we played with 10 men. Nugent often makes something out of nothing. Martin will offer an actual sticking point should our midfield spring to life and use him to get forward. So I do think we'll concede less and score a bit easier. A bit.

But my main downer is on the back up. At no point last season did I feel any excitement from the bench. No momentum changing players. No burst of life. No beast to make us invincible. When it came to injuries I thought we faced a significant drop in quality. 

Still feel the same. Hanson? Bennett? Not for me. I like their aggression and enthusiasm. But I think both are naive and hard work is pretty much all I see in them. Bennett I rate slightly higher but I don't fancy these two stepping up to the level of those they could be needed to replace.

Anya? Lovely stepovers. Runs past someone. Then what? I think he's good until he has to lift his head up. 

Vydra? Hmm. I see him as a poor Nugent. 

There's no Bent. 

I just can't get excited. I've tried really hard but I can't imagine anything but another season standing there, arms folded, chanting lazily as Derby play out a 1-0 either way borefest.

My prediction: Too good to lose many, not good enough to win 80 points.

8th - 10th. 

I hate to pick out certain players but Hanson really needed to be moved on 

Just now, curtains said:

I bet I could have run rings around you at Footy mate .

Did you play ring a ring of roses. 

Don't doubt it, if we had a game of football you would start bouncing the ball half way through telling me it's basketball now, once I get a bounce you'll be dragging me down saying it's rugby!

Not to optimistic tbh.

I like Rowett but said at the time of his appointment that he needs 2 or 3 seasons to move on some of the under-performing high wage players to bring in his own.  The low number of 'outs' has only reaffirmed my opinion that its not going to be as quick of a process as some would like.  

That said, with another couple of quality 'ins' as suggested in the Transfer Forum I still think top 6 is achievable.

Just now, David said:

Don't doubt it, if we had a game of football you would start bouncing the ball half way through telling me it's basketball now, once I get a bounce you'll be dragging me down saying it's rugby!

Funny how you think everything is hunky dory all the time .

True Derby fan you 

Archived