Would you be happy if...

StarterForTen

36 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I largely concur.

It would leave us with not much quality on the wings and relying on Nugent/Martin and Vydra all having good seasons.

We've also taken the average age of our squad up from last season, I'm fairly sure. The promise of energy and youth has basically been a lie so far. 

We've continued to do what we did when we signed Bradley Johnson. We've picked up plug and play championship veterans for prices we consider to be good. Mel said at the time that the main reason we signed Johnson was because they thought 6 million was a good price and they couldn't believe he was available. Nothing to do with the long term health of the squad or financial health of the club.

While I think Huddlestone and Davies are good signings, they strike me as win now signings rather than the rebuild we were sold on when Rowett was appointed.

That could change of we bring in some young wingers and maybe swapped out Bryson/Johnson for a younger model (which I think is highly unlikely). 

I don't think it's a lie, it's just that the young energetic targets are a ) taking longer to land and b) the areas we want them to play are currently overloaded with dead wood we can't shift quickly.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, sage said:

I don't think it's a lie, it's just that the young energetic targets are a ) taking longer to land and b) the areas we want them to play are currently overloaded with dead wood we can't shift quickly.

They aren't gonna go whilst they have a shot at being in the first team plans. If rowett brings in 2 new wingers some of them will be looking to get out asap. Same as Christie after wisdom was bought.

4 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

They aren't gonna go whilst they have a shot at being in the first team plans. If rowett brings in 2 new wingers some of them will be looking to get out asap. Same as Christie after wisdom was bought.

I think Blackman already knows he isn't a first choice winger.

I think we can bring 1 in before an exit but not 2.

8 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Well those two have been the sharpest and looked the best out of wingers so far. So yes, I guess we are screwed! ?

Russell is ahead of Weimann and way ahead of Bennett. 

I think, as the question was "If the transfer window was to close now, would you be happy?"

I assume you mean just close with out prior notice? If this is the case then no one can moan as to whether we have bought in the type of players Gary has touted or got rid of players to trim the squad as he would have been working to the original time table.

If however today was the planned closure from the start, then things would be different and Gary would have worked to that deadline.

If however this was the planned closure and the business done so far was the only business, then yes you would have reason to question.

So all in all this thread really is a none starter either way.

I'd be bloody fuming if the window ended now, we've sold out two best talents for big money and haven't replaced them, fail to see how anyone can say we've improved the overall squad so far this window. Luckily however the window isn't shut yet, and we always knew it would probably take to about now to get the real quality attackers in as a lot of our targets will be young prem players who their clubs need to decide the future of. I'm not concerned at the moment, but think we need a marquee winger signing at the very least before Sunderland as our current wing options are very poor now ince has gone

Happy about - The signings so far

Unhappy about - Some grossly over priced players still being at the club.  But I guess that's why they're still here

Hopeful about - We get a proper attacking midfielder/winger in before the Sunderland game.  As ever, our crappy recruitment over the last few seasons has left us with a shed load of strikers/inside forwards operating on the flanks, and our one out & out winger can't cross for s**t...

24 minutes ago, sage said:

I guess Kamara must've been on relative peanuts for us to terminate his contract.  Wish we'd just suck up the loss and do the same with a couple of others *cough* Blackman *cough* Anya *cackle*...

I wouldn't be happy at all! Far from it.

i want the very high replacement for ince like rowett suggested he would get.

the most annoying thing about it all would be we are maybe 2 quality players away from challenging the best teams.

as we are now I can see us just outside the top 6 come may. 

13 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I guess Kamara must've been on relative peanuts for us to terminate his contract.  Wish we'd just suck up the loss and do the same with a couple of others *cough* Blackman *cough* Anya *cackle*...

Not sure it was peanuts, but as he had a contract pretty much lined up and agreed with another club, he decided to walk away from his contract here with our blessing. No fees paid by us. Not sure we will have that option again this window 

49 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

I think, as the question was "If the transfer window was to close now, would you be happy?"

I assume you mean just close with out prior notice? If this is the case then no one can moan as to whether we have bought in the type of players Gary has touted or got rid of players to trim the squad as he would have been working to the original time table.

If however today was the planned closure from the start, then things would be different and Gary would have worked to that deadline.

If however this was the planned closure and the business done so far was the only business, then yes you would have reason to question.

So all in all this thread really is a none starter either way.

A good point well made.  

Not for me. 

The addition of Davies and Forsyth at the back I see as positives. I think Baird will push Wisdom hard for that RB.

I don't rely on Thorne being fit. I see Huddlestone as a nice passer and not much else nowadays.

Martin and Nugent I like.

But I still think we lack something as it comes to attacking in the final third. In fact id say we're weaker. With Ince and Hughes gone who steps up? If they weren't good enough to do it alone last season then how will we do it without them.

And when the injuries come I don't fancy our fringe players to step up. 

Think we'll be tougher defensively and the option to fire it into Martin is certainly more promising than trying to get Bent, Vydra to turn harmless possession into attack. 

It's an improvement I think. But I don't fancy putting money on us to finish top 6. 

I predict us to spend slightly less time bogged down in our own half with the ball. But I predict slightly more hoofing.

Would I be happy? No. But it is inconsequential.

It all boils down to Rowett. If he is happy with the squad and he feels capable of successfully galvanising and managing this group of players, let's see what happens.

If he is confident in his managerial ability, I think he would look at this existing squad and still see it as a group capable of being in and around the top six as a minimum. But with good management and an effective tactical and stylistic set up, I wouldn't put a ceiling on what we can achieve.

This league is wide open and as ever, it is wonderfully unpredictable. 12 months ago, if you had told me that Burton would survive comfortably, that Reading, Leeds and Huddersfield would occupy top six positions for the majority of the season and that Preston, Barnsley and Cardiff would be competing for top half places, I would have been stunned.

There are some keys to how successful we can be this season. Can Rowett and the coaching staff get Martin playing well alongside either Vydra or Nugent? Can Rowett get the best out of players from the existing group, players like Bryson, Johnson, Russell, Blackman, and Weimann, who could all be important moving forward? Can Davies, Wisdom and Huddlestone perform with the same consistency as they have done in previous campaigns at this level? Will Thorne and Forsyth come back from injury and be the same players?

We have lost two excellent players in Ince and Hughes and it is a massive, crippling, optimism sapping blow. To us, the fans. But to the manager, it should just be business as usual. Clubs in worse positions with less resources have competed for promotion, so we are hardly in a disadvantageous position where we can only dream.

Rowett has a big job on his hands, no doubt about that, but let's give him a chance now and see what he can do.

Still 40 days to go before the transfer window closes; really no point having all this negativity.

l am pretty certain in my own mind that Rowett knows what we need, and he is working his nuts off to deliver.

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Still 40 days to go before the transfer window closes; really no point having all this negativity.

l am pretty certain in my own mind that Rowett knows what we need, and he is working his nuts off to deliver.

I am anything but negative and when we get going ( 10 games in) I think we will be very ? 

4 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

I am anything but negative and when we get going ( 10 games in) I think we will be very ? 

And that is fine Sparkle - looking back and forming (and voicing) an opinion at that point is reasonable, but even after 10 games l don't think this season there is a case to be knee-jerk. Rowett needs time. He inherited a totally unbalanced squad, and l will not be persuaded that either Hughes or Ince wanted another year in the Championship.

I wonder how many on here who have posted on this thread so far will be thinking on the 15th November how dissapointing Christmas has been  :lol:

Archived