Would you be happy if...

StarterForTen

Would you be happy if... the transfer window was to close right now and our summer business is concluded as it stands?

i.e: Hughes, Ince & Christie sold, Huddlestone, Davies and Wisdom bought.

Or would you feel short-changed?

For me, a team of: Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Forsyth; Huddlestone, Johnson; Russell, Nugent, Anya; Martin is stronger than anything we fielded last season.

That's not to say, though, I wouldn't be happier if we grab two better wide attackers if we could!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be delighted, but I would still see it as a good window. We strengthened in areas we needed to strengthen. Added height and strength for defending/attacking set plays.

The main thing I would be disappointed with would be the lack of players leaving. Add Bent to the list of exits and I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Nothing against Bent, I just like the idea of a tighter squad. Cutting the squad by two and forging a path for our kids to get some game time is no bad thing to me.

One more winger would do the trick for me. I'm excited to see what players like Russell, Anya, Bennett and Weimann can do with a full pre-season with Gary Rowett. We might not have to spend a fortune to improve.

I'd be contented that we have a side/squad that could challenge for top 6 and we seem to have brought sensible deals in.

However, it'd neither be the remolding and trimming we were led to believe, nor would I feel we've really replaced the "sparkle".

So I'd still like a few outs to get squad size more manageable and at least one dazzling attacker in.

However if nothing more was done, I'd be content.

Good question to raise :thumbsup:

Really happy with the ones already brought in but the current wide options are no where near good enough. Two good wingers brought in and some more dead wood out and I would be more than happy. 

43 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Quite simply no as I would feel that Rowett has failed to deliver on promises in terms of both ins and outs.

Blunt but probably true,the ins have strengthened but we need at least one class wide attacker/winger(as stated) and I would expect 3 or 4 more out if we are cutting the squad size(I know that's not easy).

No. What we've bought thus far has been bought well: Davies, Wisdom, Huddlestone definitely make us stronger in important areas and with Martin, Thorne and Forsyth back, those are three 'new signings'.

But th truth is this: in selling Hughes and Ince, we have sold our two players who can provide that bit of magic, who can add that creative spark and unlock defences. None of our signings or, indeed, our existing players, can make up for that. And that is where we're struggling. So we need to replace that. We now have a squad of good, honest pros. But we need 1/2 that can give us that something extra - that's why we need at least 1 winger because, even with Ince and Hughes last season, we were still sometimes lacking creativity and I feel we still badly need it.

No. We are less likely to concede goals but also less likely to score them atm.

Add Lawrence and i think we have a chance of top 6.

Also add Toral or Ojo and i think we have a decent chance of top 6.

Add Lawrence and Jota or James and i think we have a chance of top 2. 

Add all 3 and we have a very good chance of top 2.

Sadly we haven't yet managed to sell, loan or release the misfits so unless we do so, i don't think we can hope for any better than 6th to 8th. 

No, still think we need 2-3 players to balance the squad for assists and goals. Russell would need to seriously step up after last seasons dip. Don't think we have the right player player to play behind Martin. We have players that would be ok but none that are perfect for that role, Vydra is probably closest but not convinced he's creative enough.

i would be delighted with Jota and Lawrence, but OK with toral, ojo or Kent.

regarding outs, seriously need to get rid of a few. Bent, Hanson, Olson, Butterfield Anya shackell when fit and Bryson.

20 minutes ago, sage said:

No. We are less likely to concede goals but also less likely to score them atm.

Add Lawrence and i think we have a chance of top 6.

Also add Toral or Ojo and i think we have a decent chance of top 6.

Add Lawrence and Jota or James and i think we have a chance of top 2. 

Add all 3 and we have a very good chance of top 2.

Sadly we haven't yet managed to sell, loan or release the misfits so unless we do so, i don't think we can hope for any better than 6th to 8th. 

I largely concur.

It would leave us with not much quality on the wings and relying on Nugent/Martin and Vydra all having good seasons.

We've also taken the average age of our squad up from last season, I'm fairly sure. The promise of energy and youth has basically been a lie so far. 

We've continued to do what we did when we signed Bradley Johnson. We've picked up plug and play championship veterans for prices we consider to be good. Mel said at the time that the main reason we signed Johnson was because they thought 6 million was a good price and they couldn't believe he was available. Nothing to do with the long term health of the squad or financial health of the club.

While I think Huddlestone and Davies are good signings, they strike me as win now signings rather than the rebuild we were sold on when Rowett was appointed.

That could change of we bring in some young wingers and maybe swapped out Bryson/Johnson for a younger model (which I think is highly unlikely). 

Hell no

This squad needs a total overhaul. We are still stuck with the likes of  Butterfield, Bent, Russell, Vydra, Blackman and Bryson. 

The 3 incoming are all decent, but when you've sold your top goal scorer and are now playing with Johnny Russell and a player who was out on loan, deemed not good enough it's a little unflattering. I am waiting for this "high quality" Ince replacement. We are nowhere near the standard required to get out the division. Where are the goals coming from? We struggled all last season and haven't done anything to improve upfront , bar sell our (2) best creative  player. Bringing in two defenders and another DM. Pace, a clever  playmaker is required

Another 6+ out, 2 (at least) in.

My only concern is when rowett mentioned we are looking at other teams best players he meant huddlestone? After all it's all in an opinion. 

The only saving grace is I'm pretty sure he said a very very high quality replacement was targeted for Ince. Which probably meant jots or Lawrence who we probably won't actually sign, but we did look at them, so all good!

Archived