Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

7 minutes ago, dave126 said:

I suppose I cant disagree with that.

Maybe we have been spoilt with having Ince on the other side. Possibly making Russell look worse than he is.

Well yeh - Ince was one of the best wingers in the league last year - Definitely top 5 and arguably top 3? (Ritchie and Knockaert the others?)

Russell isn't going to be a top 5 player - But equally I'm not sure what Huddersfield winger from last season I'd choose ahead of him - And they did alright

Out of last seasons decent wingers the realistic possible acquisitions now include Jota and Lawrence obviously - After that I would have made a bid for Piazon - Kent has been linked already - Aluko from Fulham maybe?

The you're getting into the realms of Maghoma, Adam Hamill, Adomah - All of whom I wouldn't class as significantly better than Russell and would set us back some decent money

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

You may well be correct but many on here have varied valuations of players for example our own Johnny Russell has a very similar record to Lawrence but Russell has had basically one poor season compared to Lawrence having one good season at this point so does that mean Russell is worth in today's market £5-7 million? 

I think there is a strong element in pricing today where you look at the potential of a player. Russell is for me, whilst I like his endeavour and effort (and as it stands if we only sign one winger would be the other winger) a player who has probably reached his peak. What you genuinely get now is never going to get much better. Lawrence, being younger and with a slight different skillset, has a potential to be very good and go onto much greater things. That for me therefore pushes the price tag up.

You get bargains now and then (Huddlestone) and you get duffs (Butterfield). Its one of the few areas that I think a manager earns his money - choosing the right players and putting them into the right formations so they get the best out of each other.

3 hours ago, cheron85 said:

This argument really does rattle on - A series of professional managers have disagreed with your assessment as he has been a consistent part of a squad for 4 seasons which has (in theory) been in the promotion hunt - He was also wanted by Brighton - Who were very much in the promotion hunt

We will see JR back at his best when/if he plays with CM up top. Then he has a focal point and we will suddenly see JR getting into the oppo box and the goals will start again. 

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Well yeh - Ince was one of the best wingers in the league last year - Definitely top 5 and arguably top 3? (Ritchie and Knockaert the others?)

Russell isn't going to be a top 5 player - But equally I'm not sure what Huddersfield winger from last season I'd choose ahead of him - And they did alright

Out of last seasons decent wingers the realistic possible acquisitions now include Jota and Lawrence obviously - After that I would have made a bid for Piazon - Kent has been linked already - Aluko from Fulham maybe?

The you're getting into the realms of Maghoma, Adam Hamill, Adomah - All of whom I wouldn't class as significantly better than Russell and would set us back some decent money

I'd absolutely love Jota at Derby.

Thought he was the pick of the bunch at Brentford while Judge and Dallas were still there two or three seasons ago and thought we should have made serious inquiries about him then. 

Unfortunately, with the best will in the world, I can't see it happening. I think ( really hope I'm proven wrong!) that the boat has sailed on this one. I can't see our budget stretching to Lawrence and another pricey signing. 

19 minutes ago, Simsy said:

all these leicester getting inneacho so should free up Lawrence.  No. hes a striker not a winger! not one of them who's ever played there either. Please correct if I am wrong.

Correct but the signing of Iheanacho will mean Musa can play out wide which is where he started last night - the Iheanacho signing would put Lawrence behind Albrighton, Mahrez (replacement if sold), Gray + Musa

With Iheanacho, Vardy, Ulloa, Okazaki + Slimani as their strikers

Archived