Derbys media strategy

Derbados

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, David said:

If anyone from the club is reading, may I take this opportunity to beg of you not to follow the latest trend in announcing signings through whatsapp group chat screen recording. See Villa for the latest example.

Also don't play up to those pesky kids that reply to every tweet for days prior to the signing "announce X" like Liverpool did with Salah. Ignore them.

Keep it simple and effective with a picture of the player either wearing the shirt or holding one up. No gifs or videos required. Let the signing do the talking.

5 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

I second that 

I'm sure I would too if i had a clue what he was talking about.

23 hours ago, Derbados said:

What is going on with Derbys media strategy? 

I can't be the only one who has noticed a shift from a couple of seasons ago, I think we've gone backwards.

at its peak a couple of seasons ago, I had never felt more connected to the club, there appeared to be a real transparency around the place and you pretty much keep up to date with the club on a day to day basis (they even had a video of Rush and vicars having a brew in Starbucks!!)

Now I don't feel that same transparency, there appears to be a cloak and dagger feel to the place and it would appear our media outputs have taken a back seat. 

Compare this years pre season and signings so far compared to a couple of seasons ago, there were multiple interviews, videos, player profiles, some real in depth stuff. This year the first day of pre season we were made to wait scratching our heads most of the day wondering what was going on?

I also find the Wisdom situation very odd, it's clear he's travelled, he's all over social media yet the club are doing their best to hide him out of photos and there hasn't been much in ways of updates on the situation, again we find ourselves slightly bemused scratching our heads. 

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, what happened to our fantastic strategy of a few seasons ago? Cmon Derby, make me feel connected again. 

It's the once bitten twice shy effect Derb. Mel and co had been vocal about the Derby Way and our ambition and how amazing the managers were, then heralded each signing with multiple interviews and shirt holding. Derby way us bust, ambition riddled, managers sacked and players overpaid for and flopped. 

We are shyer now

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

It's the once bitten twice shy effect Derb. Mel and co had been vocal about the Derby Way and our ambition and how amazing the managers were, then heralded each signing with multiple interviews and shirt holding. Derby way us bust, ambition riddled, managers sacked and players overpaid for and flopped. 

We are shyer now

That's what I said a few pages back :p (I'm being a DEL) keep up or i'll Tweet about it two days late.

Have no problem with the new website side of things, there's a lot of potential there and it's nice that we are trying to be innovative.

I do find it interesting that seemingly  no one from local media has gone over to Tenerife. Not sure what it says because it either shows that DET/Radio Derby can't afford to send anyone out (which maybe is sad in itself) or that the relationship between club and media isn't overly great (which is again quite sad)z

Im not saying it's particularly important for them to be there as nothing has happened but I do like my Derby news to maybe not be just a controlled PR exercise for the club. I also think it's that time of year where it's nice to get interviews with the players in the DET. Yes the DET does take quotes from interviews which are ready to watch online but  somewhere along the line it doesn't feel genuine to me.

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Have no problem with the new website side of things, there's a lot of potential there and it's nice that we are trying to be innovative.

I do find it interesting that seemingly  no one from local media has gone over to Tenerife. Not sure what it says because it either shows that DET/Radio Derby can't afford to send anyone out (which maybe is sad in itself) or that the relationship between club and media isn't overly great (which is again quite sad)z

Im not saying it's particularly important for them to be there as nothing has happened but I do like my Derby news to maybe not be just a controlled PR exercise for the club. I also think it's that time of year where it's nice to get interviews with the players in the DET. Yes the DET does take quotes from interviews which are ready to watch online but  somewhere along the line it doesn't feel genuine to me.

As there are no matches out there, I wouldn't expect any media to travel.

Is this actually worth any level of criticism? Bizarre. Would understand if the club were lying or being disrespectful to the fans or said something offensive, but there really isn't much to take issue with. To me our media output is pretty classy given the state of the football world we now live in. 

3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

DET isn't helping with this either. Totally naff unoriginal reporting. Just regurgitated click bait stuff now ... 

In fairness i think that's mainly because they get fed scraps from the club so they have to stretch out anything they do get. Add this to the decline of print journalism and local media struggling to find its place in the modern world and it's a difficult situation all round

Though getting back to my original point, say if the club allowed Forsyth to have a sit down interview with the DET then I'm sure it would help them boost their numbers, peak some interest into the club and we get a nice read. I'm not sure who loses?

4 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Is this actually worth any level of criticism? Bizarre. Would understand if the club were lying or being disrespectful to the fans or said something offensive, but there really isn't much to take issue with. To me our media output is pretty classy given the state of the football world we now live in. 

Yes It's classy yes (apart from those annoying blurry fade ins at the beginning) but it's changed to a more cautious approach, and the line of questioning from Gibson is mind numbingly predictable and uninformative. But we all know that. 

8 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Yes It's classy yes (apart from those annoying blurry fade ins at the beginning) but it's changed to a more cautious approach, and the line of questioning from Gibson is mind numbingly predictable and uninformative. But we all know that. 

Yes, limited information is now more prettily packaged. I like it anyway. :)

9 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

As there are no matches out there, I wouldn't expect any media to travel.

Still think there's something worth reporting on though, even if it's just interviews but maybe that's just me. I like a different perspective to what comes straight from the club

24 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Still think there's something worth reporting on though, even if it's just interviews but maybe that's just me. I like a different perspective to what comes straight from the club

I get your point TL, but what's important here?  All that's happening in Tenerife is a week of players running around a bit getting match fitter; plus Andre's officially signing. It wasn't so long ago that the DET had Derbyshire CCC as its headline sports news during the summer months every day of the week and football took a back seat. Now DCCC hardly seem to feature.

I know that Nicholson and the DET have to tread a careful line, not only with their owners regarding cost and value, but also to maintain a positive relationship with Derby who could quite easily make access harder to come by but I would rather they missed out on a report or two during pre season but maintained an independent match and in season reporting role so far as is possible.

Due to me being over here the principal way or me to follow DCFC is via internet. I read all the usual sources, first DCFCfans when I wake up and later the official website, the BBC Radio Derby website and the DET. I usually do it in that order and by the time i get to the DET I read one or two articles, the ones about a player from the 50s-70s or an interview with an ex-player/manager. All the other articles I've already read on at 2 of the other sites. Enough about the DET, they just can't compete nowadays, not like 20 odd years ago when them and BBC Radio Derby news/sport reports were literally the only way to get information (ignoring friends etc if you'd missed the news). I think that the club really do try to inform us as much as they can. Yes, I would love them to give out actual gossip and not have to read it on here, knowing that a high percentage is hearsay, conjecture or just pure toddyfacts. But does anyone seriously expect the club to give out non-news? They can't say for example say that Andre Wisdom is a done deal and that he's flying out with the rest of the team to the training camp because he's still a Liverpool player. They aren't going to give us all the details of Hughes's and Ince's impending transfers because it just wouldn't be right. Likewise any potential incomings, why scupper a deal, or just look like fools when a deal breaks down. As for fees paid and received, do any clubs nowadays actually announce the fee, incoming or outgoing? I like the look of the new official website, although I still haven't been able to see the videos full screen on my iPad! The interviews are probably as incisive as you're going to get. The interviewer isn't going to ask the manager why he plays so and so or the system he's used. He's not going to tell a player that he's a pile of ****. I don't particularly "like" Colin Gibson's interviews but he is a respected ex-radio presenter who I believe has raised the level of the media section at the club. Maybe the independent journalists should perhaps be a bit more in your face with their questions. Perhaps @OwenB87 (is that one Owen Bradley?) could give us a little information as to how much freedom they have in their interview questions and choice of interviewees?

I'm now looking forward to seeing how the live streaming is going to work. How much it is going to cost and can you pick and choose games or is it a complete package? Keep up the good work those that are doing good work, and the DET, let your reporters report and not just copy and paste please ?

Archived