Derbys media strategy

Derbados

On 03/07/2017 at 20:27, Ninos said:

DET isn't helping with this either. Totally naff unoriginal reporting. Just regurgitated click bait stuff now ... 

This.

DET is at its worst ever. Clickbait central, then once you click, all you see is ads.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Notice to Derby Telegraph editor:

After having the printed copy of the paper day in day out for the last 35 years, I have cancelled it forever. The reasons are for the amateurishness of the reporting across all subject matters. It simply isn't worth 60p. 

On 7/3/2017 at 20:35, TuffLuff said:

Though getting back to my original point, say if the club allowed Forsyth to have a sit down interview with the DET then I'm sure it would help them boost their numbers, peak some interest into the club and we get a nice read. I'm not sure who loses?

They lose control - At the moment they mostly have control of what information comes in and out of the club - Historically you'd have only traditional media to communicate with the fans - Now the club can much more easily have direct communication with fans without having to worry about the editorial stance of the radio or newspaper

I suspect the club pulling back from their relationship with the DET is something to do with the Bradley/McClaren saga 3 years ago - The club has to work with Radio Derby and generally has a decent relationship with them - Bradley decided to try and make a name for himself poking McClaren and it all spun out of the club's control - Wouldn't be surprised if being stung by that has left them a lot more cautious and less trusting of the local media outlets

On 02/07/2017 at 21:03, Mafiabob said:

It's a them versus us mentality with the local media now. I can guarantee you that. 

Given the tone of your posting over the few months, I would suggest that it's them versus you.

32 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

They lose control - At the moment they mostly have control of what information comes in and out of the club - Historically you'd have only traditional media to communicate with the fans - Now the club can much more easily have direct communication with fans without having to worry about the editorial stance of the radio or newspaper

I suspect the club pulling back from their relationship with the DET is something to do with the Bradley/McClaren saga 3 years ago - The club has to work with Radio Derby and generally has a decent relationship with them - Bradley decided to try and make a name for himself poking McClaren and it all spun out of the club's control - Wouldn't be surprised if being stung by that has left them a lot more cautious and less trusting of the local media outlets

I agree with your overarching point.

However, it just seemed to me that Owen Bradley was asking questions that the fans wanted answered, rather than trying to make a name for himself.

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Well, that's the funniest thing I've read in ages.

Actually, there were plenty of people high-up at the club that were very happy with my questioning of Steve. They weren't best-pleased about the way he was behaving, either.

Oh, and you'll remember there were lots of supporters that thought I should have been harder on him too.

I've always enjoyed a good relationship with the club in my six or so years covering them.

Yes, there have been a few clashes. That happens when you're doing the job properly. 

Happy to put you right on this one, as you're 100% wrong.

Have a nice day. 

34 minutes ago, eddie said:

Given the tone of your posting over the few months, I would suggest that it's them versus you.

What I believe..... all up for debate of course, as I've always said, happily sit here with egg on my face and being told I'm wrong..... I would say idiot but I know that already. 

9 hours ago, David said:

Another example of how not to Media things.

That is horrendous. 

I quite like our under-stated media approach. Classy, as said elsewhere. A bit of fun here and there on twitter wouldn't go amiss, but in general our media team are doing very well. 

I also enjoy Owen Bradley on RD. 

As the above video proves, we could be much worse.

On 7/2/2017 at 21:00, Derbados said:

What is going on with Derbys media strategy? 

I can't be the only one who has noticed a shift from a couple of seasons ago, I think we've gone backwards.

at its peak a couple of seasons ago, I had never felt more connected to the club, there appeared to be a real transparency around the place and you pretty much keep up to date with the club on a day to day basis (they even had a video of Rush and vicars having a brew in Starbucks!!)

Now I don't feel that same transparency, there appears to be a cloak and dagger feel to the place and it would appear our media outputs have taken a back seat. 

Compare this years pre season and signings so far compared to a couple of seasons ago, there were multiple interviews, videos, player profiles, some real in depth stuff. This year the first day of pre season we were made to wait scratching our heads most of the day wondering what was going on?

I also find the Wisdom situation very odd, it's clear he's travelled, he's all over social media yet the club are doing their best to hide him out of photos and there hasn't been much in ways of updates on the situation, again we find ourselves slightly bemused scratching our heads. 

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, what happened to our fantastic strategy of a few seasons ago? Cmon Derby, make me feel connected again. 

what you have described is border line paranoia 

17 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

I agree with your overarching point.

However, it just seemed to me that Owen Bradley was asking questions that the fans wanted answered, rather than trying to make a name for himself.

Fair shout - But I've always thought it was more repeating the questions when fans didn't like the answers...

McClaren answered the questions - Fans just didn't like the answers - When we're winning the majority don't care - When we're not the answers we don't like become a sticking point

16 hours ago, OwenB87 said:

Well, that's the funniest thing I've read in ages.

Actually, there were plenty of people high-up at the club that were very happy with my questioning of Steve. They weren't best-pleased about the way he was behaving, either.

Oh, and you'll remember there were lots of supporters that thought I should have been harder on him too.

I've always enjoyed a good relationship with the club in my six or so years covering them.

Yes, there have been a few clashes. That happens when you're doing the job properly. 

Happy to put you right on this one, as you're 100% wrong.

Have a nice day. 

I'm pleased I could amuse you - It seems only fair to return the favour since the standard of your 'sports journalism' is a constant source of amusement to me

Unlike the above - My first post wasn't a criticism - As a local sports journalist I would imagine making a name for yourself is an important part of trying to move up the ladder - So fair play to you - I've worked in communications for 10 years so I'm more than familiar with how the national media works and what they tend to look for

The problem wasn't the initial question - Which was fair - It was the ongoing speculation, constant returning to the theme and overkill on a single topic for weeks - Watching newsnight or listening to Jeremy Vine on radio 2, they grill the hell out of people, keep prying at them if they're not happy with the answer and that's admirable journalism - They don't then go on to talk about it every single day, discuss it with pundits on the shows when the interviewee isn't there and constantly bring it up again and again

You had your chance to get a proper answer out of him - You missed it - And then did the broadcast equivalent of b***hing and moaning about it for weeks afterwards - That's not journalism, it's sensationalism

I would imagine the moderators are going to delete this post anyway for being overly aggressive

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Fair shout - But I've always thought it was more repeating the questions when fans didn't like the answers...

McClaren answered the questions - Fans just didn't like the answers - When we're winning the majority don't care - When we're not the answers we don't like become a sticking point

I'm pleased I could amuse you - It seems only fair to return the favour since the standard of your 'sports journalism' is a constant source of amusement to me

Unlike the above - My first post wasn't a criticism - As a local sports journalist I would imagine making a name for yourself is an important part of trying to move up the ladder - So fair play to you - I've worked in communications for 10 years so I'm more than familiar with how the national media works and what they tend to look for

The problem wasn't the initial question - Which was fair - It was the ongoing speculation, constant returning to the theme and overkill on a single topic for weeks - Watching newsnight or listening to Jeremy Vine on radio 2, they grill the hell out of people, keep prying at them if they're not happy with the answer and that's admirable journalism - They don't then go on to talk about it every single day, discuss it with pundits on the shows when the interviewee isn't there and constantly bring it up again and again

You had your chance to get a proper answer out of him - You missed it - And then did the broadcast equivalent of b***hing and moaning about it for weeks afterwards - That's not journalism, it's sensationalism

I would imagine the moderators are going to delete this post anyway for being overly aggressive

*Sigh*

I only followed up with more questions on the Newcastle situation when it was dragged up again by the national media or others. It didn't come from me.

I was as sick of it as anyone. Go back and listen to the interviews.

As for bringing it up, talking about it again & again - a lot of that was because it was what supporters were talking about, and asking us about. Whether you like it or not, it was a major talking point, and that's what sports shows tend to do, talk about things.

I have no issue at all with you not liking me, or thinking I'm not very good at my job, or whatever. 

But what you are factually wrong about something I'm going to correct it. 

5 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

*Sigh*

I only followed up with more questions on the Newcastle situation when it was dragged up again by the national media or others. It didn't come from me.

I was as sick of it as anyone. Go back and listen to the interviews.

As for bringing it up, talking about it again & again - a lot of that was because it was what supporters were talking about, and asking us about. Whether you like it or not, it was a major talking point, and that's what sports shows tend to do, talk about things.

I have no issue at all with you not liking me, or thinking I'm not very good at my job, or whatever. 

But what you are factually wrong about something I'm going to correct it. 

*melodramatic indication that I think I'm talking to an idiot*

Yes we can all do that...

Just a thought - try steering the debate? There are always new things to talk about, even if you only have a couple of clubs to cover... Once you've covered a situation, especially if it came from you in the first place, there seems little need to continue it just because people are still grumbling

I have no problem with you personally - I don't know you - I have an opinion which is equally as invalid as anyone else's - However I will point out that the statements in my original post were opinions, not facts - Hence use of words such as 'suspect' - And it's interesting to get your side of it too - Not sure it changes my opinion on what happened but it's another good bit of information to add

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

*melodramatic indication that I think I'm talking to an idiot*

Yes we can all do that...

Just a thought - try steering the debate? There are always new things to talk about, even if you only have a couple of clubs to cover... Once you've covered a situation, especially if it came from you in the first place, there seems little need to continue it just because people are still grumbling

I have no problem with you personally - I don't know you - I have an opinion which is equally as invalid as anyone else's - However I will point out that the statements in my original post were opinions, not facts - Hence use of words such as 'suspect' - And it's interesting to get your side of it too - Not sure it changes my opinion on what happened but it's another good bit of information to add

It was more because I have been over this again & again.

The situation didn't come from me, as I've explained. We reacted the stories elsewhere in the media, we gave Steve a chance to respond. He made a bit of a mess of that over a few months. None of that was my fault, came from me, or anything.

I've explained the situation and explained the flaw in your theory. If you don't want to change you opinion accordingly, that's up to you.

22 hours ago, cheron85 said:

No offence cheron, but that is a bonkers thing to say.

As I remember it, @OwenB87 was just about the only person asking McClaren the questions fans wanted asking. He might have irritated the club, but that's only a consequence of him being a good journalist, and doing what good journalists do.

17 minutes ago, OwenB87 said:

It was more because I have been over this again & again.

The situation didn't come from me, as I've explained. We reacted the stories elsewhere in the media, we gave Steve a chance to respond. He made a bit of a mess of that over a few months. None of that was my fault, came from me, or anything.

I've explained the situation and explained the flaw in your theory. If you don't want to change you opinion accordingly, that's up to you.

I very much do appreciate getting your side of the story - It's always interesting to hear - But I still don't see your argument as being a flaw in what I said - I appreciate that you may not have been trying to make a name for yourself - But I still believe that the ongoing saga around McClaren has made the club less communicative with the media - Mostly local because we don't get too much national attention - And at the time Radio Derby (even if not leading) were part of the ongoing problem

ie, of my original statement I will retract the bold portion if that makes any difference to you?

"I suspect the club pulling back from their relationship with the DET is something to do with the Bradley/McClaren saga 3 years ago - The club has to work with Radio Derby and generally has a decent relationship with them - Bradley decided to try and make a name for himself poking McClaren and it all spun out of the club's control - Wouldn't be surprised if being stung by that has left them a lot more cautious and less trusting of the local media outlets"

14 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

No offence cheron, but that is a bonkers thing to say.

As I remember it, @OwenB87 was just about the only person asking McClaren the questions fans wanted asking. He might have irritated the club, but that's only a consequence of him being a good journalist, and doing what good journalists do.

Offence is rarely taken here :)

I think I've said in another post - Not liking an answer doesn't mean there's a different one hiding somewhere - Fans didn't like McClaren's answer and he (maybe mistakenly) stuck with it - It wasn't a great answer but it was honest

On 7/3/2017 at 20:27, Ninos said:

DET isn't helping with this either. Totally naff unoriginal reporting. Just regurgitated click bait stuff now ... 

DET are awful now. Just the worst.

I follow SN for when he tweets his general thoughts and comments during games, but it's really annoying following him and DET when there's nothing happening. They tweeted the same s**t article (that im not even sure was about Derby, mightve been about our 'competition') about 20-30 times in 24 hours between the two accounts at one point.

On the topic of this post I think Derby's media has never been more transparent and high quality. I've previously been a subscriber to Rams Player for years and the content everyone is now getting for free is just as good and more frequent.

Obviously, I doubt anything will be done about Mr.Gibson asking the worlds easiest questions in post-match interviews but you can't really expect them to give people a hard time I suppose. 

22 hours ago, OwenB87 said:

IMG_0034.GIF

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

56 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

But I still believe that the ongoing saga around McClaren has made the club less communicative with the media - Mostly local because we don't get too much national attention - And at the time Radio Derby (even if not leading) were part of the ongoing problem

5 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I hope not. I'm going to read it again when I want a laugh.

;)

Just saw that I'd been quoted by @David on this thread and my immediate thought was "Oops, here comes the ban hammer..."

12 minutes ago, eddie said:

I hope not. I'm going to read it again when I want a laugh.

;)

Maintaining your amusement is what makes life worthwhile :)

Archived