Derbys media strategy

Derbados

What is going on with Derbys media strategy? 

I can't be the only one who has noticed a shift from a couple of seasons ago, I think we've gone backwards.

at its peak a couple of seasons ago, I had never felt more connected to the club, there appeared to be a real transparency around the place and you pretty much keep up to date with the club on a day to day basis (they even had a video of Rush and vicars having a brew in Starbucks!!)

Now I don't feel that same transparency, there appears to be a cloak and dagger feel to the place and it would appear our media outputs have taken a back seat. 

Compare this years pre season and signings so far compared to a couple of seasons ago, there were multiple interviews, videos, player profiles, some real in depth stuff. This year the first day of pre season we were made to wait scratching our heads most of the day wondering what was going on?

I also find the Wisdom situation very odd, it's clear he's travelled, he's all over social media yet the club are doing their best to hide him out of photos and there hasn't been much in ways of updates on the situation, again we find ourselves slightly bemused scratching our heads. 

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, what happened to our fantastic strategy of a few seasons ago? Cmon Derby, make me feel connected again. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Derbados said:

I can't be the only one who has noticed a shift from a couple of seasons ago, I think we've gone backwards.

Now I don't feel that same transparency, there appears to be a cloak and dagger feel to the place and it would appear our media outputs have taken a back seat. 

What makes you say that. I think the media coverage is better than ever - depending on how they replace RamsPlayer of course!

The Wisdom thing isn't odd - we're waiting on a bit of paper, his loan with Salzberg ended 30th June - we want him at preseason training, so we hide him until the paper arrives and it's all official.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

What makes you say that. I think the media coverage is better than ever - depending on how they replace RamsPlayer of course!

I can't really put my finger on it tbh! 

I just get the sense that we aren't as transparent as we used to be as a club, whether that's because of the internal issues that have happened remains to be seen.

Just now, Derbados said:

I can't really put my finger on it tbh! 

I just get the sense that we aren't as transparent as we used to be as a club, whether that's because of the internal issues that have happened remains to be seen.

If you have no evidence then it's just you, lol.

The club will get criticism no matter which way they go with this. People were slating the club a season or 2 back for all the publicity shots of Rush and Co and saying they were trying too hard, now they are not doing enough. Personally I couldn't give a toss as long as I get to hear about stuff that's important before kick off.

7 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Personally I couldn't give a toss as long as I get to hear about stuff that's important before kick off.

You not waiting on John Vicars in Starbucks the sequel? Life after Rush

IMG_0025.JPG

13 hours ago, Derbados said:

at its peak a couple of seasons ago, I had never felt more connected to the club, there appeared to be a real transparency around the place and you pretty much keep up to date with the club on a day to day basis (they even had a video of Rush and vicars having a brew in Starbucks!!)

Compare this years pre season and signings so far compared to a couple of seasons ago, there were multiple interviews, videos, player profiles, some real in depth stuff. This year the first day of pre season we were made to wait scratching our heads most of the day wondering what was going on?

I also find the Wisdom situation very odd, it's clear he's travelled, he's all over social media yet the club are doing their best to hide him out of photos and there hasn't been much in ways of updates on the situation, again we find ourselves slightly bemused scratching our heads. 

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, what happened to our fantastic strategy of a few seasons ago? Cmon Derby, make me feel connected again. 

I feel much the same way atm.

I would pinpoint October 2015 as the zenith of 'feeling connected' to the club. There were various things that they were doing but a highlight from me was one of the billboard's they had at the side of the road. I drive up from Northants from home games and there was one of George Thorne between J19 and J20 of the M1 which sort of set the tone for the day, I think a month later it had gone and shortly after that so had Clement. At the time it was a small thing that had a major positive impact. Since then we seem to have regressed.

Last summer I my (then) 14 year old daughter (season ticket holder) made the comment that she felt the club had done a great job in keeping the fans informed of what was happening in the close season and keeping people involved. I believe that it is important to praise the positive as well as moan about the negative so, seeing the younger fans as a key customer base, I e-mailed the club to thank them for the efforts. I received no response. I didn't expect one as such but my daughter knew I had passed on her comments and did ask me whether they had responded, to which I responded truthfully.

I agree that the range of media is much better than it has ever been. If I was to try and put my finger on how I feel about the media strategy of the club it would be 'contrived'. I can understand that communication needs to be controlled but it just feels a bit like 'your only the customer, we will tell you what we want, when we want to'.

As an example, the comments from Rowett last week re the Wisdom signing 'hopefully just a technicality'. Andre Wisdom is a signing that has been universally welcomed by fans on this forum but has dragged on for weeks and fans have been desparately trying to understand progress (or lack of). Rowett may have said the same thing but come across in a more empathetic manner, perhaps 'we understand that the fans want to know what is happening with Andre and we are just awaiting a small technical issue with paperwork to be sorted. We are confident it will be and we will be updating as we can'.

I think the club, aware that speculation was building re Wisdom a couple of weeks back, attempted to manage things by confirming the 'agreement subject to medical' and this is too their credit. Since then the situation has meandered and the media side seemingly not managed in a professional manner, hence the 'oh no Andre isn't at the airport', 'is that him at the counter ordering a skinny latte', 'it's all okay he is on another flight in his training gear'. 

It feels like the club is trying to do the right thing, but isn't quite managing it.

I don't think Colin Gibson helps things either, we need a more vibrant, energetic face of the club.

Because the the last time the club was so open about things, like the Albentosa tour and Chris Evans infamous list of ten players for every position we ridiculed them to smithereens, and deservedly so. 

The wider media attention only happens when you are doing great. And we haven't the last two season.

I think sometimes as has fans we rightly or wrongly wait with baited breath for news every day. The club for obvious reasons cannot/will not put out misleading or ambiguous statements. We have had times in the past i.e Ian Storey-Moore when we ended up looking foolish.

This is proably the case with Wisdom until everything is done and submitted correctly jumping the gun and announcing that we had signed him would be for legal reasons wrong.

The club will give out as much information as they can when they can.

We as fans always want to know more which is natural.

I used to enjoy the Rams in Focus series they did in the play off season. They were really informative and a good insight into things. 

Over the past few years it has gone downhill a bit but the new Rams TV section on the website seems very good. 

If anyone from the club is reading, may I take this opportunity to beg of you not to follow the latest trend in announcing signings through whatsapp group chat screen recording. See Villa for the latest example.

Also don't play up to those pesky kids that reply to every tweet for days prior to the signing "announce X" like Liverpool did with Salah. Ignore them.

Keep it simple and effective with a picture of the player either wearing the shirt or holding one up. No gifs or videos required. Let the signing do the talking.

30 minutes ago, David said:

If anyone from the club is reading, may I take this opportunity to beg of you not to follow the latest trend in announcing signings through whatsapp group chat screen recording. See Villa for the latest example.

Also don't play up to those pesky kids that reply to every tweet for days prior to the signing "announce X" like Liverpool did with Salah. Ignore them.

Keep it simple and effective with a picture of the player either wearing the shirt or holding one up. No gifs or videos required. Let the signing do the talking.

So you don't want something like this?

Archived