Beautiful Football and/or Promotion

Nuwtfly

After the departure of our boy, William, there's been a lot of discussion lately about beautiful football. Playing the game the 'right' way. And whether or not we would rather have a team that play's a style that's easy on the eye, than one that grinds out results by any means necessary.

With that in mind, I'm wondering: Who was the last team to get promoted out of the Championship playing beautiful football?

Of recent promotions that spring to mind, you don't often see a team walk out of this league playing the Barcelona way. 

Brighton, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Burnley, Hull, Middlesbrough to name but a few, all strike me as teams that shun style for results. So it is such a bad thing that Rowett appears to be following in their footsteps? Would you rather play like Fulham, and stay in the Championship, or like West Brom and Burnley, sat in the Premier League.

(FYI: I'm not saying either's right or wrong. Just eager to know where people sit on this at the moment.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2

Brighton play good football.

but fulham and the wendies were the best teams at pride park and both failed in the play offs. 

I dont think we are in the luxury of making that choice. I think the consequences of not getting over the line (more to FFP than the owner it would seem) are going to give us a period of falling back.

So I think the choice is to try to a) over achieve with lesser budget and players or b) maintain a certain playing identity, sacrificing okay off chasing for more stable direction.

Basically same choice but I dont think its promotion deciding this season or next.

FWIW I don't think Rowett wants to play bad football, just quick incisive in possession and well organized out of possession which is not the same as "we're basically rubbish so cling on,crock the barsewerds and we'll try to hoof it for martin and nuge when we get chance to"

or "everything's rubbish especially you martin and you Hughes and we're stopping this pass it to each other nonsense now get running. All about running and loving me like Leicester did"

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

After the departure of our boy, William, there's been a lot of discussion lately about beautiful football. Playing the game the 'right' way. And whether or not we would rather have a team that play's a style that's easy on the eye, than one that grinds out results by any means necessary.

With that in mind, I'm wondering: Who was the last team to get promoted out of the Championship playing beautiful football?

Of recent promotions that spring to mind, you don't often see a team walk out of this league playing the Barcelona way. 

Brighton, Huddersfield, Newcastle, Burnley, Hull, Middlesbrough to name but a few, all strike me as teams that shun style for results. So it is such a bad thing that Rowett appears to be following in their footsteps? Would you rather play like Fulham, and stay in the Championship, or like West Brom and Burnley, sat in the Premier League.

(FYI: I'm not saying either's right or wrong. Just eager to know where people sit on this at the moment.)

I don't think a team that could play like Barcelona would be in the Championship in the first place. Unrealistic to think that Championship teams could play like them.

Asking whether we would rather play like Fulham and stay in the Championship or play like West Brom and Burnley in the Premier League seems to imply that direct football will automatically lead to more success than 'beautiful' football.

A more relevant question may be, do Derby fans believe promotion is more likely to be achieved playing direct/conservative football like Burnley or playing more open/attacking football like Bournemouth?

I'd rather try the Bournemouth route. If direct football were the only way to succeed in the sport.....I probably wouldn't be a football fan at all.

For me it's all about balance in this league, that's why it's so difficult. You're most effective style in the lower leagues is the hoofball, grind out results type of teams, simply because the teams there have less quality and more physicality. On the other hand in the prem, once established, you'll want a team of primarily technical players, one because you have the money to afford good ones, and secondly because you're generally facing more intelligent players.

In the championship tho, especially recently, it's not so easy. You can no longer go up like we did last time, there are a lot more technical players, owing to increased money in the game, so you need some more intelligent footballers and a more on the deck style now. That being said it's still a hard slog, and there's still some very defensive teams out there so you still need to be able to grind out unpretty results sometimes, so you've gotta still have that 'effective' base.

A good sprinkling of technical players is required, but if you have too many you can end up with a team that's awesome sometimes, but can equally just fall apart like under mac towards the end first time. Sadly we need to sometimes to an extent foresake good football for effective football to make sure we can be efficient across a whole season, which I think is something we've failed to do recently.

This DOES NOT however mean we go all Pearson and just get in runners, it's all about a balance in getting out of this league, which ultimately should be our primary aim above pretty football for the time being, we can't keep racking up debt in the championship. A club our size cannot afford to be down here for this long.

3 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Bournemouth Southampton Watford

That was the one that sprang to mind for me. Never thought Bournemouth played that nice a game whenever I saw them play.

Still surprised they sacked Jokanovic straight after...but I guess it's worked out for them in the long run :angry:

11 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I don't think a team that could play like Barcelona would be in the Championship in the first place. Unrealistic to think that Championship teams could play like them.

Asking whether we would rather play like Fulham and stay in the Championship or play like West Brom and Burnley in the Premier League seems to imply that direct football will automatically lead to more success than 'beautiful' football.

A more relevant question may be, do Derby fans believe promotion is more likely to be achieved playing direct/conservative football like Burnley or playing more open/attacking football like Bournemouth?

I'd rather try the Bournemouth route. If direct football were the only way to succeed in the sport.....I probably wouldn't be a football fan at all.

Tried not to imply anything, hence the last sentence of my post. 

1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

Swansea? They looked awesome. Bournemouth were exciting to watch too. A season of Swansea or Bournemouth football would be lovely.

Couple more years back we've had Reading, Newcastle, Watford, Blackpool etc.

Might be 50/50 this promotion with proper vs percentage football.

The teams who have been promoted playing good football over the years have faired better in the PL than those who've adopted the percentage approach.

Aside from Stoke who else has established in the PL playing percentage football? West Ham under Allardyce? West Brom were originally expansive under Di Matteo before turning to Steve Clarke. Sunderland were a constant struggle.

The number of sides who have gone up playing percentage football only to be relegated within two seasons far outweighs the others who have adopted a more attacking approach.

In the last 8 years or so Southampton, Swansea, Bournemouth, Watford and Newcastle have all succeeded in staying up for more than 2 seasons following a promotion playing good football.

Can the same be said of Reading (under McDermott), Cardiff, Hull, Norwich, Boro, Burnley, QPR, Wolves and Birmingham?

Archived