Beautiful Football and/or Promotion

Nuwtfly

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

You know what's weird for me. I'm obviously a Derby fan, I'm on here every day for years, I go to games (less away games now I've got kids tbh) so I'm not some kind of plastic.

But you know when We're playing poor and the ball crashes into the net I don't feel like going crazy. I feel like it's a short term joy and I don't feel like it's a step towards anything. I can't help but think "We need to control more or else when we play..."

Yet when We're in control and we score I look at the clock hoping time is going slow. I love it. I feel like We're growing and progressing. That goals are rewards for great play and we are actually learning.

Some goals and victories feel dull. As do defeats tbf.

I like it when victories make you feel invincible and defeats are heartbreaking and undeserved. Feeds my emotions for the game.

Make any sense? 

Anyone else? 

It's like the coaching approach. Or a boxers fighting approach. You coach to win seasons not matches. A boxer trains hard to fight easy. Kind of willing to take short term pain.

Good point well made. I guess people watch and enjoy football for different reasons, us included. There will never be a situation when 100% of fans are happy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

The 2006/07 side without a doubt..... 

Most people already seem to have forgotten that Michael Johnson played over Moore/Leacock for a lot of the season, that it was Jones over Seth Lad and just how pivotal Jon Stead was!

36 minutes ago, cannable said:

Most people already seem to have forgotten that Michael Johnson played over Moore/Leacock for a lot of the season, that it was Jones over Seth Lad and just how pivotal Jon Stead was!

Still remember Jones free kick in 6th minute injury time against Wendies to win 1-0..... that's when I started to believe 

3 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

The 2006/07 side without a doubt..... 

I will remember the 13/14 side. The best Derby team in a generation and even though they didn't get promoted, far better than that Billy Davies side. 

That team gave us so many incredible moments, which makes it all the more sad to see it dismantled and made worse over the years.

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

I will remember the 13/14 side. The best Derby team in a generation and even though they didn't get promoted, far better than that Billy Davies side. 

That team gave us so many incredible moments, which makes it all the more sad to see it dismantled and made worse over the years.

I'm sorry..... have to disagree, getting promoted and roughing it out with the players we had week in and week out ranks as a massive achievement to me..... some great memories at games. 

We were good 13/14...... but doing what we did in 06/07 was absolutely outstanding.....  and that day at Wembley and the semi final penalty shootout in the pouring rain against Southampton will live me forever. 

30/40 years from now..... when I hope to tell my grand kids about supporting Derby..... they ain't going to be interested in the 13/14 season..... they'll be interested in the day there Grandad watched Derby County win promotion at Wembley.

13/14 who? 

9 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Some great arguments on here. Personally, I'm still of the mindset that I'd rather win the Allardyce way than lose the Jokanovic way.

Id love to know what the Jokanovic way is.

If its fast counter attacking football with the utilization of space to create mutiple goal scoring opportunites, then its a tough call between this and direct allardyce football.

If its posession at all costs, slow sideways football, not giving the ball away but equally not creating anything and no shots on goals... (ie mcclaren the 2nd time) then ill definately take Allardyce every time.

23 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Derby's problem in recent years is they have only played one way.

.....just lacked the little bit of extra quality required.

I'm going against my own footballing beliefs here… but will good football necessarily be the head start it was?

Surely there will come a point when most of the 8th-20th placed teams will play good football. Then it becomes a case of either being better than three of them or being a nightmare for them to play against. 

So you press them high and you get it so right that they can't outpass your press. Like we did second half to Fulham.

It'll go in a cycle of styles of play dominating. Possession football, pressing, old school counter-attacking. You'll have the odd team breaking the mould and the old pragmatic second ball team in the mix. 

Perhaps, from a pragmatic point of view, we've gotten Rowett at the right time. 

Having witnessed bad football but success under Davies, it's an absolute no brainer. Entertaining football hands down, especially when you consider how entertaining football teams tend to do better in the prem.

9 hours ago, cannable said:

I'm going against my own footballing beliefs here… but will good football necessarily be the head start it was?

Surely there will come a point when most of the 8th-20th placed teams will play good football. Then it becomes a case of either being better than three of them or being a nightmare for them to play against. 

So you press them high and you get it so right that they can't outpass your press. Like we did second half to Fulham.

It'll go in a cycle of styles of play dominating. Possession football, pressing, old school counter-attacking. You'll have the odd team breaking the mould and the old pragmatic second ball team in the mix. 

Perhaps, from a pragmatic point of view, we've gotten Rowett at the right time. 

I've kinda had similar thoughts and that's my hope if I'm honest, that Rowett turns us into a high pressing aggressive side. We've seen it in glimpses under him already like the second half at forest but my worry is we'll become a sit back and hit them on the break kinda team with a lot of hoofing into channels. 

Archived