Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think it's an absolute disgrace to us and Will that the figure of 4.5m to 7m is being discussed. Not only should he be going to a more established premier league team if he leaves, he should be going for the right price. What happened to the 15m being talked about by Everton in January. Not to mention the fact that he has just signed a new contract 

Just a mini brain fart I thought I'd share.

Seen it said a fair bit in this thread that Will Hughes is so out of form he can't get in the U21's.

How often do we hear of players not mentally right to play, Lansbury recently springs to mind.

Here we have a 22 year old, away in Poland in his last tournament for the U21's with his first transfer in his professional career. 

Would not surprise me if Boothroyd thinks he has a lot on his plate which is why he's yet to start. 

Like I say, just a brain fart and probably not the case at all, Chalobah plays for Chelsea which must mean he's better 

12 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I was all set to write a balanced post about its the right time to sell Will Hughes for him and us and look forward to seeing how Rowett will mould a competitive side in his image to move forward....until I've watched sky sports news! 

£4.5m rising to £7m is an absolute joke and a disgrace!! And I've also heard we've cut our losses with Camara and just dumped another £1m there!!!

Rowett I'm sure will get this team right and competitive but these are bad business decisions! 

Is this the result of not having a CEO to conduct transfer dealings Mel?!

There is never any reason to be sure about the future in football. However, particularly at this point in time, where Rowett and the club are about to make ***** of themselves by selling Hughes for such a derisory fee, there is even less reason to be sure of the future.

Another example of self-harm 'the Derby way'.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Just a mini brain fart I thought I'd share.

Seen it said a fair bit in this thread that Will Hughes is so out of form he can't get in the U21's.

How often do we hear of players not mentally right to play, Lansbury recently springs to mind.

Here we have a 22 year old, away in Poland in his last tournament for the U21's with his first transfer in his professional career. 

Would not surprise me if Boothroyd thinks he has a lot on his plate which is why he's yet to start. 

Like I say, just a brain fart and probably not the case at all, Chalobah plays for Chelsea which must mean he's better 

He'll probably play tonight, now he's Premier League.

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

You think he's more likely to move to Arsenal for £30m within 3 years than he is to go on loan to a Championship club?

I've had my say on Will Hughes over the years, and his initial potential and the excitement it created perhaps have ended up with him being more harshly judged than other players at this level. But lets be right here, he hasn't pulled up trees enough at this level, so why would he at PL.

He hasn't the pace or stamina for the PL in my opinion. A few neat touches, and excellent interceptions (ball-robbing) are about all he's actually got. In PL terms, his vision and creativity should be better given the experience he has amassed, and he's miles behind players who were never fit to be compared to Will only a few years back.

Centre mids are 10-a-penny, and all of them have something nice about them. But if you pick an average English centre-mid, Mark Noble for example. Nice player who doesn't excel at any one attribute, but he's massively better than Hughes and impacts games.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but the proof is in the pudding. The great players still stand out in poor teams, as well as decent teams.

Yes I think there is MORE chance his next move will be a big one to a big club.

of course you might me right mate. He might end up  unable to get a game and out on loan. I just think he's got too much class for that. Let him play further forward and he'll be a revelation.

the fee won't be so bad as long as there's a big sell on clause in there.

a daft part of me hopes you're right by the way. I'd love to see will on loan at Burton having to rebuild after the daft buggers at Watford haven't given him his opportunity?

1 hour ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

We've just paid £2million for a guy who has played over a seasons worth of Premier League games.  Played 15 top flight games in Austria in a side that has won the league, cup and qualified for the champions league.  He's 2 years older than Hughes but has actually done a little something including captaining the U21 on several occasions.

People are saying we overpaid for Wisdom....so why on earth is WH worth 3 or more times as much???  Put simply - he isn't.

He's 22 and still can't get into the U21 side.

The bit your missing is that Wisdom hasn't been playing well since leaving here in summer 2014

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The bit your missing is that Wisdom hasn't been playing well since leaving here in summer 2014

Perhaps the bit your missing, is that Hughes hasn't been playing well since summer 2014 either. He's not progressed here at Derby, perhaps a large portion of blame can be placed on injury and ever-changing managers, but he's not kicked on like many of us thought he would do.

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm not missing that bit. It's relevant. But the two most recent players of comparison are Alfie Mawson and Demari Gray. Both in this England U21 squad. Similar age. Both moved to Premier League clubs. Both were in absolute top form when they were sold.

The fees... 

Gray - £3.7million

Mawson - £5.5million

Hughes has been average at best since his knee injury. He has also had a very serious knee injury at a young age... See George Thorne for reference. 

8 million if true would be extremely good business because after another season of nothing you'd struggle to get a million for him. 

If he was the steal everyone thinks then why are all the bottom half Premier clubs not banging down the door to grab a bargain? 

Archived