Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'd say more chance of him being on loan at a Championship club in 18months.

You're a decent judge of a player Most me old mucker, so I'll be gentle with this.

I think you're wrong on that one pal. Hughes is a better player than Jeff and as long as he gets his chance he'll take it.

Surprised it's Watford who are leading the race, thought he'd start higher up the chain than that, but at least he'll get games.

If they let him play with freedom he'll be a superstar. I wouldn't tie him down to a central midfield role, I'd either play him as a number 10  or I'd play him at the top of the midfield 3, I wouldn't give him any holding responsibility at all. I'd love to see him get back to playing the way he did when he broke through. He's got so much skill on the ball but it's probably been forgotten due to the role he's been playing since Steve Mac dropped him back 20 yards. This could get me some stick but I think it's Derby's style (or lack of) during periods over the last 3 seasons which has been holding Will back.

He'll play for England and probably will be an established full squad member within 3 seasons. I've no doubt about that.

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

He'll be going on a free as his contract is up. 

I know mate other poster mentioned £4m lol. 

I used 'would' in my post by the way 

32 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Very true, but you'd have thought that we also wouldn't have to sell him for such a low amount either... which leaves the following possible things:

* Will has a clause in his contract 

* The deal isn't as bad as it looks (see comments on wiping out debts to Watford.. which I can't really see being true)

* Gary has basically told MM that he doesn't rate Will at all and he'll hardly ever play so you may as well get what you can for him

* MM / GR don't want to hold him back anymore (again, possibly owing to a clause or owing to being good eggs)

* We are skint (ffp?)

* Will isn't as good as we think he is or

* None of the above.

Or, possibly Will has let it be known he wants to leave for the promised land?  Just sayin....:ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

£4mill for butterfield and £8mill for vydra with £6mill for Johnson really puts a mockery to this transfer 

I can only assume there was a Sam rush clause in Hughes new contract deal for when a premier club come in

And there sits the real problem we paid massive and stupid fees for average and with them sat on big contracts you simply can't sell them because nobody else in the championship will pay anywhere near their wages so it is time to just grit our teeth and be grateful to have seen Hughes play for us and hope Elsnick can force his way in 

43 minutes ago, The 1884 Group said:

Midfield options

Thorne - unbuyable unless fitness is proven

Baird - last club most likely

Johnson - nobody will pay high enough fee

Hanson - not proven anything yet

Bryson - probably not got a massive value

Butterfield - doubt we would recoup the money

Hughes is the only midfielder that is a saleable asset to the club. If his contract included provisions for accepting PL interest, plus high wage which is highly possible, plus a fairly average season, plus not overly impressing GR, it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he is going.

A £4.5m cash payment, rising to £7m, plus potential sell-on fee for a player who has, it's fair to say, stalled a little over the last 2 seasons, is just about acceptable.

The end of last season saw lots of people saying the squad needs shaking up, no one is unsellable, etc ,etc. Well that's what is happening. You can't force clubs to take players you don't want!

Being on crutches will do that to you.

Ladies and gentlemen......let's take a deep breath and a little pause before people start pitch themselves off of the cliffs at Black Rock whilst screaming about the horror of this deal.

The manager has to do what he believes is best for the club and if this deal is part of his thinking then so be it.

Mr Rowett has spoken about promotion and if that's the case he must have something ready to go by way of negating the sale of Hughes.

Plus the hysteria over Will Hughes is getting a bit out of hand.

Whilst a very good player with obvious talent he's way behind players like Dier, Oxlade Chamberlain and Alli to name a few.

All of these lads are of a similar age and have played top flight and international football for an extended period of time.

Plus.....and most important of all, we are Derby County fans.

We have been through, turmoil, upheaval, triumphs and failures galore since the day Brian Clough left.

But we still support our club and with Will Hughes or without Will Hughes we will continue to support our club.

Derby County forever.

PistoldPete2
10 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

At some point, in the not too distant future, you will look back at these posts and cringe.

I'll bite though, on what basis are you going to DEMAND a season ticket refund?

Club has said in previous years if we are not happy with transfer business then we can get a refund. 

They have advertised playing the Derby way ... Has that pledge been dropped ?

6 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

You're a decent judge of a player Most me old mucker, so I'll be gentle with this.

I think you're wrong on that one pal. Hughes is a better player than Jeff and as long as he gets his chance he'll take it.

Surprised it's Watford who are leading the race, thought he'd start higher up the chain than that, but at least he'll get games.

If they let him play with freedom he'll be a superstar. I wouldn't tie him down to a central midfield role, I'd either play him as a number 10  or I'd play him at the top of the midfield 3, I wouldn't give him any holding responsibility at all. I'd love to see him get back to playing the way he did when he broke through. He's got so much skill on the ball but it's probably been forgotten due to the role he's been playing since Steve Mac dropped him back 20 yards. This could get me some stick but I think it's Derby's style (or lack of) during periods over the last 3 seasons which has been holding Will back.

He'll play for England and probably will be an established full squad member within 3 seasons. I've no doubt about that.

Watford are leading in A ONE HORSE race. That speaks volumes to me. The others just aren't interested. I wonder why?????

8 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Stoke want £1m for Whelan. 

£4m for Ledley would be a good buy for WBA. 

Ledley is out of contact I believe and £1 for Whelan seems very steep with wages etc now if it was Ronnie Whelan I would be allin

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Ledley is out of contact I believe and £1 for Whelan seems very steep with wages etc now if it was Ronnie Whelan I would be allin

Please see what I've replied to @Nuwtfly ?

9 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

You think he's more likely to move to Arsenal for £30m within 3 years than he is to go on loan to a Championship club?

I've had my say on Will Hughes over the years, and his initial potential and the excitement it created perhaps have ended up with him being more harshly judged than other players at this level. But lets be right here, he hasn't pulled up trees enough at this level, so why would he at PL.

He hasn't the pace or stamina for the PL in my opinion. A few neat touches, and excellent interceptions (ball-robbing) are about all he's actually got. In PL terms, his vision and creativity should be better given the experience he has amassed, and he's miles behind players who were never fit to be compared to Will only a few years back.

Centre mids are 10-a-penny, and all of them have something nice about them. But if you pick an average English centre-mid, Mark Noble for example. Nice player who doesn't excel at any one attribute, but he's massively better than Hughes and impacts games.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but the proof is in the pudding. The great players still stand out in poor teams, as well as decent teams.

13 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Club has said in previous years if we are not happy with transfer business then we can get a refund. 

They have advertised playing the Derby way ... Has that pledge been dropped ?

The Derby Way died when we sanctioned Clement's transfers. 

Pearson pissed on the grave.

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

You think he's more likely to move to Arsenal for £30m within 3 years than he is to go on loan to a Championship club?

I've had my say on Will Hughes over the years, and his initial potential and the excitement it created perhaps have ended up with him being more harshly judged than other players at this level. But lets be right here, he hasn't pulled up trees enough at this level, so why would he at PL.

He hasn't the pace or stamina for the PL in my opinion. A few neat touches, and excellent interceptions (ball-robbing) are about all he's actually got. In PL terms, his vision and creativity should be better given the experience he has amassed, and he's miles behind players who were never fit to be compared to Will only a few years back.

Centre mids are 10-a-penny, and all of them have something nice about them. But if you pick an average English centre-mid, Mark Noble for example. Nice player who doesn't excel at any one attribute, but he's massively better than Hughes and impacts games.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but the proof is in the pudding. The great players still stand out in poor teams, as well as decent teams.

Out of interest what do you think to Aaron Mooy? 

*didn't mean to quote you @cheron85

Archived