Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

6 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If Hughes was great then why haven't any top teams come in for him recently? He's a talent, anyone denying that don't understand the game but he doesn't do enough for me. If we still had McClaren, I'd keep him because he suits 4-3-3 but now we are playing 4-2-3-1, the need for Hughes is less important. 

Thorne's far more influential to our side than Hughes. We won't miss Hughes as much as some think because we have a ready made replacement in Butterfield if we wish to switch to 4-3-3 for one game.

How do you know we're playing 4-2-3-1? Rowett played 4-3-3 a lot last season, but sorry I forgot that you knew Gary personally. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

A couple of things come to mind:

1) I've got no more love for Hughes than I have for any other Derby player. All of them can come and go for me. Buxton and Barker were the pinnacle of player/fan relationships - both went and we moved on. 

2) The fee reported is absolutely shambles. I'm pretty sure it won't be the figure, because we look like saps even considering it. I'm sure Morris, of all people, will not accept it. He will accept Hughes going, but not at that amount. We paid roughly that to lay all the pitches, didn't we? Or something to do with the groundwork at the training ground.  

3) all depends on the replacement. We could get £1m for him and replace him with a better player, somehow. We could also get £25m and replace him with worse. The replacement ultimately judges just how successful this transfer move is - for us. 

I agree with points 2 and 3 but for me Id say I'm probably more attached to Hughes to any Derby player I can remember. 

Putting sentiment for one side for a second, you are completely right about the replacement being critical to the point that I genuinely think if Rowett gets it wrong it will practically cost him his job. For me its paramount we go after a top class genuine #10, somebody like Jota.

1 minute ago, Wolfie20 said:

You thought Hendrick was our best midfielder? Blimey - must be sunstroke!

I did actually which is a compliment to him, but Hughes is unfulfilled potential and in a way the transfer fees seem to reflect that

11 minutes ago, McLovin said:

If Hughes was great then why haven't any top teams come in for him recently? He's a talent, anyone denying that don't understand the game but he doesn't do enough for me. If we still had McClaren, I'd keep him because he suits 4-3-3 but now we are playing 4-2-3-1, the need for Hughes is less important. 

Thorne's far more influential to our side than Hughes. We won't miss Hughes as much as some think because we have a ready made replacement in Butterfield if we wish to switch to 4-3-3 for one game.

Injured for one season and a clusterfaark of a second season where no one really shined thanks to Mel and his knee-jerk reactions.

9 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

As much as I hope it doesn't see a move away from creative attacking football on the deck, I think this is a pretty big signal that the plan is too move away from it. 

Best go buy a neck brace I guess.

I do think we will be better at set pieces at both ends which is a positive but I also believe we will be swarming all over teams as well.

7 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

We don't know if he wants to leave, but the fact he signed a new contract recently suggests he was happy to stay at that point. The only thing that's changed is we've appointed a manager who seems more interested in lumping the ball forward than actually playing football.  So basically, we're forcing him out of the club at the point where his value is at the lowest point it's been in years.  Wonderful.

Forcing him out?

Was there a clause in his new contract about being given permission to speak to a Premier League club if we didn't get promoted last season?

Regarding the fee, does Will have a buy out clause in his contract? Have Watford merely activated the clause with this bid? And if that's the case, then clearly Will wants to move on. Fair play to him. Great player, could turn into a superstar. Regardless, he's been a good servant to DCFC...

9 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

How do you know we're playing 4-2-3-1? Rowett played 4-3-3 a lot last season, but sorry I forgot that you knew Gary personally. 

Ok we will see but I'd be surprised to see 4-3-3 used as our main formation. He probably only used that formation to test the water. He stated that he wants to play two forwards and on the radio show he said Martin could drop slightly deeper as a number 10 behind the main forward(Nugent). 

3 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

Injured for one season and a clusterfaark of a second season where no one really shined thanks to Mel and his knee-jerk reactions.

But even before that he wasn't exactly consistent, he went missing in a lot of games too.

23 minutes ago, Hinzy9 said:

So we've basically swapped hughes for anya. 

What a depressing thought :mellow:

FIFY.

I don't care whether Hughes loves the club or not - he's a wonderful footballer, and to be stuck with the squad's midfield dross while he leaves is more than annoying!

54 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Are you serious? Are you trying to imply hughes doesn't contribute? Do you actually watch any football? Or do you just look at who scored.com or whatever? 

Very serious. I've stated Hughes doesn't contribute goals and that a midfielder of his ability should be contributing 5-10 goals a season. 

He doesn't affect games in terms of goals or assists. 

Yes he's a nice footballer to watch. How many times last season did you come out of a game saying "Hughes was very good today"? 

Its my opinion. Yours is different. 

And yes. I've had a season ticket for 24 years. 

I've made my peace with this for the following reasons:

1. I absolutely do not begrudge Will a move to the Prem. He deserves it.

2. He did us a favour by signing the contract - imagine losing him for nowt!

3. This is most likely nothing to do with Rowett. He was probably told from the start that Will would be leaving this summer so has been planning accordingly.

4. I'm excited to see him play in the Prem. I'm a Watford fan now!

5. His replacement is going to be frigging awesome.

6. All these posters going on about how Will isn't good enough anyway are starting to piss me off.

7. That's it. I'm all out. Good luck Will hope you come back one day!

17 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

As much as I hope it doesn't see a move away from creative attacking football on the deck, I think this is a pretty big signal that the plan is too move away from it. 

It's the new Derby way... 

Another nail in the coffin im afraid.. Well done DCFC.. I have no idea what direction we are going this week. 

What are those books? Windows for idiots.. Is there one that chairmen should read.

Rowett has to start strong this season.

Watford have invested heavily in foreign players, possibly because of the inflated market for English players. It looks with this deal that they've identified an English talent and seen an opportunity to get him on the cheap.

The longer we went without getting promotion the sooner the day was coming when Will was going to leave us BUT £8m is a shameful valuation. Derby are either desperate for the money or those that make the decisions at the club place a much lower price on his qualities than the vast majority of fans do.

p.s. not actually seen any such comments but if anyone has posted that because of this transfer they are giving up on the club, I have two words for them - clear off!

1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

I've made my peace with this for the following reasons:

1. I absolutely do not begrudge Will a move to the Prem. He deserves it.

2. He did us a favour by signing the contract - imagine losing him for nowt!

3. This is most likely nothing to do with Rowett. He was probably told from the start that Will would be leaving this summer so has been planning accordingly.

4. I'm excited to see him play in the Prem. I'm a Watford fan now!

5. His replacement is going to be frigging awesome.

6. All these posters going on about how Will isn't good enough anyway are starting to piss me off.

7. That's it. I'm all out. Good luck Will hope you come back one day!

Points 1 to 7, I agree with wholeheartedly..

5 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

You won't need a neck brace, it won't be going directly front to back.

It will be balls spun in the channels, either for our speedy wingers and striker(?) to gobble up, or the opponents to put out for a throw and we'll build from there.

In such a system, we don't need a player who's always available for a pass, knows where it's going before he receives it, moves to make himself available for the return, and generally sees the full picture before anyone else has sketched it.

Boothroyd with the u-21s is the template, he sees no need for Will either.

God I hope someone else other than Watford take a punt at that price, Bournemouth perhaps?

They could chuck in Ibe on loan as a makeweight?

Archived