Apple

David

Just now, Boycie said:

That's like eating caviar off a piece of cardboard ?

I love the look of the S8, just a shame it runs Android with a layer of poo on top.

Honestly all the leaks of the iPhone 8/X not feeling it at all but the software is too good to leave.

1 minute ago, David said:

The minute you can have iOS on Android phones I’ll be there that day

Will that ever happen? (seriously - I have no idea on that)

And even if it could, what's not to love about android and it's cusomisability and free apps? Doesn't a techie lad like yourself not feel constrained in the straitjacket of iOS? And isn't Apple's closed ecosystem a betrayal of the Web - philosophically surely open source is the way to be? And even Macworld admits of Google Assistant vs Siri "its capabilities seem far more advanced thanks to contextual understanding of language that allows follow up questions to initial queries": http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iosapps/siri-vs-google-assistant-3659249/

A problem for Apple is that if you want to do amazing interesting work in the California tech industry that might change the world you'll be at Google or Tesla or SpaceX or similar. Or else you could go to Apple and do a tiny tweak on how an Apple watch works. So they don't have the calibre of people for genuine innovation any more.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Will that ever happen? (seriously - I have no idea on that)

And even if it could, what's not to love about android and it's cusomisability and free apps? Doesn't a techie lad like yourself not feel constrained in the straitjacket of iOS? And isn't Apple's closed ecosystem a betrayal of the Web - philosophically surely open source is the way to be? And even Macworld admits of Google Assistant vs Siri "its capabilities seem far more advanced thanks to contextual understanding of language that allows follow up questions to initial queries": http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iosapps/siri-vs-google-assistant-3659249/

A problem for Apple is that if you want to do amazing interesting work in the California tech industry that might change the world you'll be at Google or Tesla or SpaceX or similar. Or else you could go to Apple and do a tiny tweak on how an Apple watch works. So they don't have the calibre of people for genuine innovation any more.

Apples ecosystem is what I love, everything just works together. 

Evernote, Spotify, Chrome.....don’t need it, take an iPhone out the box and it has a browser, notes, music streaming app that all works great. iCloud, the ability to handover from phone to iPad to iMac instantly and flawlessly is perfection.

I have zero interest in the customisable options Android offers but one, micro SD slot that’s it. Show me a Android users phone and I will probably vomit at their theme and font choice, looks like a 2 year old has been let loose with their mums make up bag.

I have zero interest in moving backwards to a Windows PC and trawling through 3rd party apps to achieve the same when Apple has it right there.

I only use Siri to turn lights on, set a reminder, send a message or use it as a calculator. All works fine. Keep hearing how great Google assistant is yet I have a Google Home collecting dust now as 50% of the time it doesn’t listen and I end up using Siri.

Fair enough but nowadays if you want to stick with just Google you get vast amounts integrated out of the box (chrome of course is Google's as is Maps and Keep is the notes package and there's tons more - no music but I just use YouTube which of course is Google's too). And if you want it to everything syncs between phone/laptop/tablet and (android) telly!

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

Fair enough but nowadays if you want to stick with just Google you get vast amounts integrated out of the box (chrome of course is Google's as is Maps and Keep is the notes package and there's tons more - no music but I just use YouTube which of course is Google's too). And if you want it to everything syncs between phone/laptop/tablet and (android) telly!

What’s the difference between being in Apples ecosystem and Google’s?

Find with Google they load you up and sign you up to all kinds of services you don’t need because you want one thing they offer, they also tend to over complicate things compared to Apple’s more minimal and simple methods.

Despite owning all these gadgets, wouldn’t call myself a geek as such, I’m not into computers, how they work or get excited by the possibility of changing my graphics card. 

Left Windows almost 10 years ago now, no anti virus, adware, spyware, malware software, no installing updates 34 of 5784 before booting it up. 

Keep saying it but it just works when I want it to, what more do you want?

Androids, Windows you might get more bang for your buck in hardware but the software isnt optimised like Apple who don’t have a number of devices to support. 

Only thing I really dislike about Apple is the price tags, but having to go back to Windows really would push me away from the internet.