Summer transfer budget

RiddingsRam

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

And your entitled to it. In my opinion it's ridiculous, after all that Messi fella needs to grow anoth 12 inches, can't head for toffee. Kante too, a right little urchin, can't score in a million years, too small, not a hulking mass

like you say all opinions

Messi now your not even comparing same planet, how many goals/assists

Cante has an unbelievable engine, tackle success, interceptions, covering back four ....Hughes has nowhere near the same stamina and work rate.

I reiterate Hughes is a decent Championship player, nothing special, he has no outstanding ability in any department, goals/assists/work rate/tackles/leadership ability.

I would also like to hazard a bet that if we were privy to endurance information on the squad, Hughes would not be high on the list.

I would be amazed if we received any offers anywhere near the £10 million mark for him, and if we did I would first accept then visit them in the funny farm :-)

Again, don't get me wrong I think he is a decent Championship player, nowhere near where the level our supporters are inclined to think ................ but that's just my opinion

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I agree he's not the finished article but then again he's still young and in an inconsistent team. The good news is his passing accuracy is 82% and Messi is only 80% 

i don't know this Cante geezer, who does he play for?

Think Cante geezer plays for Rentboys FC :ph34r:

On 23/04/2017 at 19:34, toddy said:

Selling Martin for 6 million minimum 

Selling Ince for 10 million

Possibly Hughes for 12 million 

Selling Weimann for 1.5 million

That should give GR a few quid to bring in a few younger hungry  players that he thinks will do a job for us.

Hahahahahahahahaha, Yeah, Sell all of our best players and bring in kids. League one, here we come :D. Some people never fail to amaze me. 

21 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Hahahahahahahahaha, Yeah, Sell all of our best players and bring in kids. League one, here we come :D. Some people never fail to amaze me. 

Martin and Weimann are virtually gone, Ince we could do with the readies to rebuild and Hughes deserves to be playing  in a team better than us and  in the premiership -if you don't believe this you are delusional.

So we only really lose Ince.

We are a million miles from being a team capable of promotion, it is a complete rebuild that is required. Otherwise we wouldn't have GR here, we would still be trying to revert back to 2013 under Mac.

2 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Cante has an unbelievable engine, tackle success, interceptions, covering back four ....Hughes has nowhere near the same stamina and work rate.

I reiterate Hughes is a decent Championship player, nothing special, he has no outstanding ability in any department, goals/assists/work rate/tackles/leadership ability.

I would also like to hazard a bet that if we were privy to endurance information on the squad, Hughes would not be high on the list.

I would be amazed if we received any offers anywhere near the £10 million mark for him, and if we did I would first accept then visit them in the funny farm :-)

Again, don't get me wrong I think he is a decent Championship player, nowhere near where the level our supporters are inclined to think ................ but that's just my opinion

Except for him being one of the best passers of the ball in the league AND has one of the highest tackles per game in the league AND covers more distance per game than almost everyone else in our squad AND the England setup believe he's one of the most qualified to captain the u21s...

He does need to find more consistency in his end play (more key passes and improved shooting) as well as a willingness to dribble past players more often

3 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Your Juergen klopp and I claim my ten pounds 

4 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I would say that Hughes covers more ground than most players. 

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

How about gary saying last night chris martin remains in his plans and so does will huges. So they are not gone.

You're right B4, but Rowett also made a point of saying no one is guaranteed to be here, everyone has a price and therefore anyone could be sold this summer. He will know how much the fans love Will though (well most of them) and how many rate Martin...although he had a funny argument with Ramage about Chrissy playing in the number 10 role, with a pacy forward...

On 24 April 2017 at 07:30, G STAR RAM said:

Probably being thick here but what do you mean by 'there aren't a huge number of defenders about'?

Name me four defenders we could get who are better than what we have.

On 24 April 2017 at 15:28, Hathersage Ram said:

How anyone can be under the delusion that Hughes is one of our best players defies belief.

He is neither strong enough, scores enough, picks a pass enough, good enough in the air, yes he is tenacious but easily shrugged aside, prey tell me what he excels at.......................... if anyone offered above 6 million for him I would be astonished.................and snap their hand off. He has very occasional patches of good play, but honestly he is never consistent in a game never mind a season.

Just my observations of course

Kinell.

in fairness i was talking about hughes to someone on e and i said he's got no pace, he can't head it, he doesn't score goals etc......

and yet he's the best fkn player on the pitch. 

Yep .. A couple of big name departures and some spring cleaning of also rans.

i doubt we will see a headline net spend unless a big name goes for a big fee. ....but I wonder if cash may be splashed behind scenes to pay off contracts of those who don't fit.

hoping Gary has some idea of bargains he's after. It would be great if we could have a "find" and also see Elsnik and Lowe kick on. Encourages the youngsters 

Oddly the Johnson/Buttefield + Anya / Vydra fees don't upset me (much ) .. They were down to Mel trying to support Clement and Pearson. I guess he has learned from that and I don't measure either of those two players on their fees. It was circumstance not of their making. 

11 hours ago, RamNut said:

Kinell.

in fairness i was talking about hughes to someone on e and i said he's got no pace, he can't head it, he doesn't score goals etc......

and yet he's the best fkn player on the pitch. 

I'm waiting Messi to improve his right foot, heading skill and maybe to grow few inches so I can start taking him seriously as a footballer.

15 hours ago, toddy said:

Martin and Weimann are virtually gone, Ince we could do with the readies to rebuild and Hughes deserves to be playing  in a team better than us and  in the premiership -if you don't believe this you are delusional.

So we only really lose Ince.

We are a million miles from being a team capable of promotion, it is a complete rebuild that is required. Otherwise we wouldn't have GR here, we would still be trying to revert back to 2013 under Mac.

Martin is no where near gone. He'll be here for next season. Weimann yes, Granted - hasn't worked for him here.

What has Hughes shown to you that he deserves premier league football anymore than the rest of this team? 

Ince is our best player by a mile. If we want promotion, We bring in quality players to play around him. 

If you think selling all 3 of them players would benefit the team then you really are deluded.

On 4/24/2017 at 08:28, sage said:

I think the budget available will be broadly neutral overall. 

He will want to reduce the wage bill but as we are within FFP this should be available for fees.

If we raise £5m in sales and reduce net wages by say £3m then he should have £8m available for fees. 

The problem with this is that,when considering the basic underlying income and expenditure,we are well over the FFP threshold.In 15/16 we were only £4m under due to the cancellation of a £12m loan,otherwise we'd have been a whopping £8m over. If you take this £8m as a starting point for this year,then you can see that the Hendrick sale (predominantly) would have reined this in.Because of the amortisation changes,the charges for Vydra/Nugent/Nugent would probably be matched by the CM loan fee,and you might be able to throw Albentosa+Shotton into the mix if needed. As we don't have any more loans to cancel (realistically),then it appears to me that our starting point may well again be c -£8m. Wages are likely to be reduced (I could even say have to be),but I don't see this as quite being enough (though the £4m 15/16 undershoot might help,although this could cause problems in the following 2 years if we went over £13m next year).

I said in the accounts thread that I'd no longer even guess what we might be able to spend in the future,for the following reasons:-

(1) In 15/16 there was a big £7m rise in Admin Expenses. I haven't a clue what the overall constituents are,neither do I know if any of it is non recurring(which means some of the above may be wrong,if there was a large amount of non recurring).Staff numbers for non players/football management/coaching rose,which would be reflected in admin expenses rise,and would presumably be recurring.A simple bit of logic persuades me that the players' insurance premium must be pretty hefty , and again one would assume this would be recurring.

(2) The change in the way intangible assets (players' regs) are treated means it's now impossible to guess amortisation figures for new players (or existing ones),because we've no idea what residual values were/would be applied to players' regs.For those who struggle with amortisation,I'll give an example (ignoring agents' fees/league levy) under both methods:-

£4m transfer fee,player signed for 4 years. Under the old method,pretty easy -amortisation £1m per year. Under new method,amortisation is (fee minus residual value) divided by 4.Quite obviously,if you don't know the residual value you haven't a clue what the amortisation is.

Rather than drag the accounts thread back up,I'd like to correct a very bad line of logic I'd employed. The amortisation figures for 14/15 and 15/16 were both £3m+,with the latter being marginally higher.This led me to (incorrectly) say that the RVs for new players must be close to the actual transfer fees.What I'd failed to see was that the constituents of the 14/15 figure probably had RVs applied in 15/16,which could lead to an abrupt end to amortisation of same. This means that the whole £3m+ in 15/16 could relate to new players,which may well mean that the RVs could be closer to 50% of the fees,as opposed to the whole fees (something of a relief). 

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That bit sounds good, but I didn't really follow a word of the rest. Is there an idiots precis available please? :)

Accountancy is a very complex field,which is why it pays so well. I do the best I can- believe me,if I posted as though I were addressing a bunch of chartered accountants, it'd save me loads of time and there'd be nothing you'd be close to understanding:D

Anyway,try this:- we've only been under FFP in the last 2 years due to cancellation of a big loan and player sales,so for next year............

Archived